konalavadome

blending chords

• 1 Replies

chris_alker

• Busker
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:42:20 PM »
Im looking to get a sound similar to the band in the video below and noticed how the band have a real full sound and I can hear there is power chords or barre chords being played to give the song that nice thick bottom but it sounds like other chords are been played over the top especially when the song kicks in after the intro does anyone have any ideas what kinda chords these could be or what chords blend nicely with power chords. I know octaves are used a lot over the top of power chords

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 09:30:44 AM »
Try not to think of it in terms of power chords and barre chords. A power chord is just a chord with a note missing (the 3rd), and a barre chord is just a chord shape.

A recording like the one you linked to probably has about 4-8 guitar tracks on it, if not more, to make it sound the way it does. It's as much about the mix and production as it is about the chords.

But the most useful answer I think is this: when you learn a chord, don't learn it only in one position. For example, find out how many different ways there are to play an E chord, and at what positions on the neck. If you do this for all the chords you use, you'll have a good idea of writing parts to go above your power chords.

Hope that helps  :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l