Sam Baker - Shy

• 12 Replies

sambaker

• Busker
« on: October 10, 2012, 01:19:17 PM »
Hello everyone.

I am a guitarist, drummer and singer (kind of), been playing for about 7 years.
I finally set myself the task of writing and recording a demo, just to see if I could do it, and indeed finish it.

http://soundcloud.com/sambaker/shy-demo

The finished demo was recorded by DI'ing the guitars, so the quality is not fantastic.
I would be very grateful to hear any feedback you may have, and any advice on structuring and writing music/lyrics would also be welcomed.

Regards, Sam Baker.

www.sam-baker.co.uk
© 2012 Sam Baker

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »
Can`t offer any technical advise,,,but theirs  a few who can...you could post the lyrics to look at!

Listened to some of your other stuff...Even Flow was done quite good,one of my fav.. PJ songs..

Your quite talented..i suppose that`s fair to say...

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
Hi Sam,

Liked the tune, although it was a little repetitive. The vocal seemed a little too quiet for me; that's not to say it didn't sound good, as it does.

Good covers of Even Flow and Holy Roller Novocaine (from the days when  Kings were good - Spiral Staircase - what a tune.)

Nice one,

Digger

ronalr

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 03:04:57 PM »
Hey Sam...I really like the sound of your guitar....nice mellow song...I would have liked your vocals a little more forward in the mix......electric guitar solo sounds great also....good job

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »
I really enjoyed this. It put me a little in mind of something by Thom York that is getting a lot of play right now. Already mentioned but will repeat it would be easier on the listener if the vocal was pulled forward the guitar is too loud but that is easily fixed. Not sure about the end - I hate fade outs but this just took me a little by surprise – is a there a more natural not to climb off – perhaps just slow it down and end?? Your call. But overall really enjoyed it. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 06:50:40 PM »
kinda pychadelic feel to this! yeah i can hear bits of radiohead in the electric guitar when it kicks in! sounds good to me!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

fabber

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 07:32:46 PM »
Hi Sam!

I really like the tune of your song. Ill have to admit that after listening to your even flow cover (which is amazing by the way) i really miss some of the powerful voice u showed there...

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 04:26:09 AM »
I agree with the Radiohead comparison.. The electric guitar sounds really good cutting through it. I would probably bring the vocal up a bit, and I wouldn't be afraid to vary the vocal melody, your voice is good when singing the higher notes, I'd like to hear more of that, rather than just at the end.

Good stuff :)

sambaker

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 09:31:34 PM »
Thanks for listening everyone. You're all correct about the vocals in the mix, I will raise them up a bit.
Here are the lyrics:

Why do we try,
To decorate our lives,
Leaving behind,
The tired signs.

Are you shy?
Do you know?
Did your high 
Turn out low?

Never-ending,
Always blending,
Into the night,
Into the light.

(Solo)

Regain composure,
Dim the exposure,
Take a deep breath and,
Maintain disclosure.

Don't be shy,
Don't be shy.

RichyRowlatt

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 07:22:07 AM »
I love the repetitive angle this takes. Agreed, the vocal is pretty low, but I like it there now I've got the lyrics to follow. Great stuff Sam,

Richy

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »
Really like this mate A LOT! ,Don't stray too much from this style in future, love it! Really good guitar and vocal
Learner guitarist

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 10:06:23 AM »
Apart from the already mentioned mixing of the vocals I think this is great work !
Great playing on the guitars, and I love the dark atmosphere this creates, reminds me a bit of Muse and Radiohead (That's a big compliment in my book ;) )
Cool lyrics, too

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 11:39:08 AM »
Hi Sam,

The guitar intro and chord changes are very interesting. The second guitar is also quality when it comes in.  I hope that you manage to achieve a clearer recording as I can l tell that this is quite a beutiful song which will really shine once you've achieved a clearer mix.

Well done and thanks for sharing!