Has anyone tried recording vocal in a field

• 2 Replies

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« on: November 05, 2012, 02:18:09 AM »
I can imagine it'd be pretty dry and we could sing as long as you wanted.

Short post as using infuriating phone haha

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:52:08 AM »
Dry,yes, as unlikely to have any room sound, lol

However,

You have to consider that some room sound is good
That it will be very thin unless mic'ed hugely close as the lack of any reflections will mean it will only have source sound
Wind noise, ambient countryside noise
Rain! (Don't wanna get caught out by an unexpected shower with your laptop!)
Cow pats ;)
Power; some laptops run their processors slower on battery. And most decent sound cards need external ac power

And more problems aside

There is a reason recording is an indorsy affair

But....I have recorded sound samples outside before. The ocean. Rivers. Traffic
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 03:19:40 PM »
Dave Stewart used to record the Eurythmics vocals outdoors. Personally, I would argue that it's better to have no reflections than bad ones - and the ones from a small room with makeshift soundproofing are unlikely to be helpful. However ..... as James says, weather is the issue. You might think it's pretty still out, but the mic will probably say otherwise (as anyone with a video camera knows) - and whatever you do to reduce that noise will mess up the sound - whether its a fluffy mic cover (they are really expensive) or a windbreaker.

To put it in perspective though - a quote from top recording engineer Joe Chiccarelli: "I'll record anywhere. The best environment is where the artist feels the most comfortable and is going to give you the best performance. I've recorded in the control room, outdoors, inside live echo chambers, in bathrooms, on the porch, lying on the floor, in the closet..."

Spot on - the performance is 100x more important than a bit of noise or the wrong reflections.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.