Wireless headphones latency problems

• 3 Replies

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:25:43 AM »
So, while recording stuff for the Pawprint challenge, I've come across a problem that's seriously starting to annoy me...

I usually record everything that's plugged directly into my interface (bass, guitars, everything MIDI) to a drum track played over my monitors for tempo and rhythm guidance. No problems here.
But for vocals and acoustic guitar, I obviously can't have my monitors playing the drum track, cause the mic would pick that up and I'd end up with a lot of unwanted noise in the background.
So here I use my wireless headphones as a reference while recording. They deliver a decent sound, there's no cable to get tangled in, all's good.
If it weren't for the (usually unnoticable) time delay it takes for the headphone station to send the reference track to my headphones, which in the end causes all recordings to be off time... Something I have to correct manually for every recording by ear - which is A REAL PAIN  >:(

Is there any way I can have my interface or the DAW (Cubase) automatically correct for this delay, but only on the tracks I'm using a mic for (i.e. vocals and acoustic guitar)? I don't have wired headphones and apart from the delay issues my wireless ones are really convenient...

Any help here would be much appreciated, as this is really starting to get on my nerves... (Have I mentioned that?)  ;D

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:58:48 PM »
I don't know about automatically correcting it, but can't you just record along to your wireless headphone, and then drag the tracks into place on your DAW? You could clap on the 1 beat before you start playing/ singing as a reference point. You know then that the clap has to land exactly at the beginning of a bar to make your track sync with the rest of the song.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 04:02:37 PM »
hi micheal,
im a know nothing computer wise so forgive me if im missing something but i would have thought the latency problem is within your daw and not the cans ?
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 08:12:38 PM »
@ tone:
I've tried the clapping, it's a great idea :)
It gives me a reference of how to move the recording to fit in, but I thought there might be some way to have the DAW correct all the recordings in one track at once...

@ nooms
It's not really the headphones themselves, but the wireless transmission takes a tiny bit to arrive at the headphones, and with my reference track being a couple of miliseconds "late", so are my recordings.