Happy Birthday Fab Four! - A Beatles cover, from Me to You...

• 13 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:32:41 PM »
It was 50 Years ago today since Love Me Do was released. Another time for a media meltdown on all things Beatles. But, this is a songwriters forum, and The Fabs are songwriting heroes, so a little Love is all good!

In way of celebration, here is a Beatles Cover I recorded during my Live Acoustic Session this summer. It's probably my favourite Beatles song.

I am sure others of you have Beatles covers in your portfolios... Go on, post and share the Love, or maybe just share your favourite Beatles song/Moment!

JN xx

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:22:40 PM »
Well Mr Nighthawk, you found a Beatles song I've never heard..

Very nice :)

I'm a fan but not so much that I can say I know ALL the songs. This is my favourite Beatles song by a country mile. When I found out my wife was pregnant with our daughter last year I made a mix CD which I called 'wombtunes', this song was number one on the CD and was regularly played in to the bump. 11 month old Tabitha now always stops what she's doing to listen to this song.. absolute genius by Mr  Lennon. :)

Anyway, I recorded this a year or so ago, before I got a decent mic and started learning the art of recording.

http://soundcloud.com/habitatsongs/across-the-universe-old

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:31:12 PM »
Tabitha is such a lovely name, kudos to whoever choose that!

And lovely story :)

I have no story for my favourite, I suppose beyond it shows the genius of their chord voicings, and how they weave melodies that just seem so right on top of them. When I can do that with every song, I know I will have this song writing malarkey down  ;D

Nice cover, cheers for sharing :)
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 10:41:43 PM »
Tabitha is such a lovely name, kudos to whoever choose that!

And lovely story :)

I have no story for my favourite, I suppose beyond it shows the genius of their chord voicings, and how they weave melodies that just seem so right on top of them. When I can do that with every song, I know I will have this song writing malarkey down  ;D

Nice cover, cheers for sharing :)

I guess you can thank the old american TV sitcom 'Bewitched' for her name, it's a kind of accepted, (not chavvy) yet unusual name (and makes a nice anagram for my musical moniker). Cheers James :)

I have the Anthology album where Lennon does it acoustic without any Epstein influence. Truly genius...

Thanks for the compliment. Lets hope more people share on this thread.... :)

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 10:56:24 PM »
the beatles i love the beatles, greatest band ever for me, abbey road favourite album, remember when i got into them 16 /17 years old buying an album every other week until i got them all! the beatles anthology on dvd everyone should watch that and be inspired! kinda annoys me when i hear people, in fact today at work saying they were only a boyband like take that and them daft one direction kids that are kicking about today (obviously they have only heard the popular hits) yeah initially a boyband pop band early sixties era but to go from i want to hold your hand 1964 to strawberryfields forever 1967 pure class in that short space of time! what they did in their short recording spell in the sixties no band has topped that or ever will, anyhow just my opnion!

anyhow great work james theres something great about live music aint there, vocal and an acoustic guitar it shows your for real and you can do it!

nice one habiTat classic song what you covered there! get yourself out amd start buying all their albums haha it will inspire you!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:06:26 PM »
Oh and BTW, something did change my world, despite the lyrics...;)

TABITHA!

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 11:28:54 PM »
Oh and BTW, something did change my world, despite the lyrics...;)

TABITHA!

nice!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 07:22:14 AM »
Two very good Beatles covers.  Well done James and habiTat!  :)

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 08:51:29 AM »
very nice you two,   i never heard that song before James.

Habitat , sounds really good ,wouldn't know that you never had a clue  ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Kafla

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 09:56:54 AM »
Brilliant James - probably my favourite Beatles song - I have stolen those chords a lot - I am a Beatles fanatic

I also love 'Something' - when I was 18 I went round to a girls house that I fancied with my guitar after midnight absolutely steaming  and played something up to her window - her dad was going to kill me !

It had a happy ending though  ;)

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »
I also love 'Something' - when I was 18 I went round to a girls house that I fancied with my guitar after midnight absolutely steaming  and played something up to her window - her dad was going to kill me !

Had you just finished reading "American Movie Cliches; Unabridged"

;)

I jest, I jest! Besides, you got some, so who cares!!

Back to the point...

I also love "Something". Harrisons best song. I played that in my School days with my very first band. A key change and back that doesn't sound remotely cheesy. And a stunning, emotional vocal (which I no doubt murdered in my wobbly adolescent voice lol!!)

Harrison didn't write as much and L/Mc, but damn he has some corkers!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:33:47 AM by James Nighthawk »
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 12:32:13 PM »

I also love "Something". Harrisons best song. I played that in my School days with my very first band. A key change and back that doesn't sound remotely cheesy. And a stunning, emotional vocal (which I no doubt murdered in my wobbly adolescent voice lol!!)

Harrison didn't write as much and L/Mc, but damn he has some corkers!

'While my guitar gently weeps'.. my fave of his, especially the "I don't know whyyy..." bit. Epic.

:)

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 01:26:56 PM »
Great covers, guys!
I love The Beatles as well, even though I didn't grow up with them at all :p
They are a very inspiring band. I know there's a lot of haters out there as well, but they can talk, I've got my own believes.
Love that song, James. My fav... That's a hard one to pick. To be clear, I don't know all their stuff, not even half of it prob. But I've always fancied Blackbird. Amazing lyrics. And just the way it's recorded as well. One vocal, that one acoustic guitar and that foot tapping the floor. Brilliant!

SD
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

jillianne

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 02:41:23 PM »
James, thanks for that, good to hear and watch - I can't even remember how the original went now it's so long since I played it.  It was a pleasant change to hear someone with a non-scouse accent performing this ... just love your "years"  and no, I have never attempted a Beatles cover apart from "When I'm 64" for someone's birthday [which no-one wants to hear, believe me :)
Didn't recognise habitat's at all, don't know how I missed that one.

Was watching a news item about "Love me do" and the debate about who was on drums ... also that it didn't sell well in Liverpool because the locals didn't want to lose their heros to the South.