konalavadome

Information about royalties for distribution, broadcasting and live performances

• 3 Replies

leoweber909

• Busker
« on: October 04, 2012, 01:56:38 PM »
Hello everybody,

I'm a beginner songwriter based in Bristol and have no experience in the music market. I come to you because, so far, there's been no website or forum on the internet able to help me.

I wrote a song along with a Swedish Dj duo (I wrote the melody and lyrics and they made the arrangement). After a couple of months they were able to sign with a record label and the song will be released in November 2012 on iTunes, Spotify, CD format, main Scandinavian radio stations and some others worldwide.

My problem is that I have NO idea of what I have to do to get my share of the royalties.
- Are they even allowed to get a deal with a record label and release our song without my     authorisation?
- Do I need to contact a publisher or an association like PRS would take care of all aspects?
- Should I talk to their record label? I'm afraid they will try to take advantage of the fact I don't know nothing about it.

Basically my question is "Who should I talk to, so that I can have my royalties either for live performances, tv and radio broadcasts, online streaming and mechanical and digital distribution?".

Thank you very much for your help.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »
First of all, can you prove that you wrote the melody and lyrics? Do you have any email or written correspondence to back up your claim?

If you don't, you may be vulnerable on this point.

But the first thing you should do is to contact the producers, and politely ask them how you're going to be credited, and what the royalty split is going to be for your collaborative song. It's possible that they know as little as you.

If they're not intent on ripping you off, it should be as simple as registering with PRS and staking a claim to your share of the song.

If they won't play ball, the next step is to contact the record label. Start politely by asking them how you're going to be credited and paid for your song. If they don't seem interested in accommodating you, let them know you can prove your authorship, and that you know your rights, and are prepared to take legal action to resolve the matter.

If you're still getting nowhere, you'll need to get a bit heavy handed. You're probably going to need legal representation. The most cost-effective way I can think of getting the right kind of representation is to join the MU (Musicians Union) who offer free legal advice to members.

In fact, they'll be able to help you much more than I can.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on. :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 05:36:13 PM »
That is great advice TONE

It is obviously beneficial to resolve collaboration "splits" in a written agreement prior to submitting the song to publishers, record companies etc.

Without this you are relying on their good will to "cut you in" without having proof

As well as the MU, I would also recommend contacting the Guild of International Songwriters & Composers (GISC) who offer members free advice, as well as a free copyrighting service to help in disputes such as this

Good luck!

Congratulations on getting a song cut by the way - regardless of the financial situation this is still a major achievement
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

leoweber909

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 12:17:01 AM »
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

I have ways to prove I wrote the melody and the lyrics and will do exactly as you suggested.

Thank you very much for your answers, REALLY, REALLY helpful!  ;D

As soon as I have some news I'll let you know.

Take care.