Anyone want a competition?

• 5 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: October 02, 2012, 08:31:10 PM »
Hello all,

I really enjoyed planning and running the blueprint challenge. I found that it concentrated my efforts musically and gave me renewed enthusiasm for the forum as a whole. I don't want to step on any toes or bombard you guys with tasks but I am really keen to launch another (this time proper) song'writing' competition.

Is there any demand/interest in this?

I looked back through the competition boards and a post by tinam mentioned some earlier talk of making these things monthly. I personally have a fair amount of downtime with my work at the moment and am happy to plan and run them from time to time. Again, without treading on any toes.

Let me know if you're up for something, I've got a few ideas and I welcome yours.

habiTat  :)

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:48:21 PM »
yeah am up for them on a regular basis keeps ya on your toes haha! what i reckon would be good for a future one would be something like just for people to upload a track with one instrument and a vocal so its live, a video or sumit so its just stripped down, how ya would get the track would b the competition, only a thought and also i think a another would be fun to say do a cover of someone elses song draw them out a hat to pair up with someone just take the chords and lyrics and do ya own take on it but not changing things too much! again only ideas!

look forward to the next one anyhow!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:46:17 PM »
Nice one m.o.s.p, cheers for those. ;D I've compiled a list of five ideas (those included) to see if there is any interest. What I don't want to do is launch something and get no takers, either cos people are too busy or think the idea is rubbish. Here they are, feel free to add suggestions/say which you'd like to do.

Forum Unplugged - (m.o.s.p. idea) Record and post a song done in one take, no fancy production/synths or effects, just a vocal and an instrument. (video if possible)

SongSwap Covers - (m.o.s.p. idea)Each player enters a song they already have, as lyrics and chords, written out. They all go into a hat and are randomly given to other players to record their own 'cover' version.

Pawprint Challenge - (from a dutchbeat idea) Write a song themed around homeless/death row dogs (entries and winner will feature on a dedicated bandcamp page with links to selected animal charity donation pages)

Dance Floor Remix - Using one of your own songs, sample and remix it into a dance music track. Post both the original version and the remix for members to compare and judge.

Christmas Competition - Simply write and record a Christmas song, then post it. (this might be good for December)

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:09:37 PM »
nice one! the christmas one has got to go ahead like haha!

yeah got to have a few takers like for a good competition to kick off!

good stuff habiTat :) :)
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »
I'm always up for a comp. But once a month would leave me no time for anything else. So while I'll join in when I can there are occasions when I'll have to pass.
My personal opinion is about 4 comps a year would probably be about right.

The length of time for the comp to run is tricky. Some of us, myself for example work quite slowly whereas Tinam can put out fully finished songs in a matter of days. We've had comps that last about a month and one which lasted two months. This last "blueprint" seemed to be only a couple of weeks.
It's a judgement call on behalf of whoever is running it.

I wrote a Xmas song for the comp last Xmas. Not sure I've got another one in me.
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 11:20:51 AM »
sounds good in principle , but i'll have to learn another 3 chords first  ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!