BLUEPRINT ENTRY from Mihkay Copper Coated Heart

• 14 Replies

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« on: October 01, 2012, 03:42:15 PM »
A little later than planned but here it is.

There are lots of bit that need re-doing basically it's all one or two takes. but I hope that the feeling comes across.

http://soundcloud.com/mihkay/copper-coated-heart
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:08:54 PM »
Hey Mihkay,

Loving this interpretation, really relaxed, chilled out version. It reminds me of Crowded House. Really nice, excellent production, great vocals. It just marches along lovely, and the harmonica is beautiful, lovely touch :)

Great work, so different again from all the others.

(btw I like the tactic of sticking this on the normal reviews board, people will hear this and will want to compare it to the other five interpretations of these lyrics over on the competitions board ;) )

Nice one Mihkay, so glad you took the time to finish and post this for us.  ;D ;D ;D

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »
Glad to have you on board this challenge!

Nice production you delivered here, very laid back and calm, but in a good way!
Brilliant vocal performance too.
Only point of critique for me is the bass line, I can't really put my finger on it, but it just doesn't seem to fit into the mix.

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »
The glow like gold bit stands out for me ,great stuff ,loving the bass , you sound like Cliff on this  ;D

thats ok , he's a good singer  ;) the endings a bit sudden .

good job .
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 12:27:06 PM »
Just had a couple of listens and i love it...think you`ve stuck the closest to the original lyrics...some nice chord changes help to sweep it along....could listen to this at night in the car on a long drive...

Fascinating competition   , isn`t it!!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 07:57:55 PM »
Hi Mihkay,

Reminded me a little of The Proclaimers meets Crowded House.
Nice tune. Loved the harmonica.
My missus prefers it to my stuff :o

Digger

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 08:42:12 PM »
yes this is the sixties version! great stuff love the sound of it that acoustic sounds great!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 09:36:08 PM »
This reminds me of Squeeze at times.  I like the minimal treatment.  The acoustic sounds lovely.  The highlight for me is the excellent vocal melody and supporting backing vocals.

Well done!

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 12:24:49 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great comments.I really will have to re-do this one properly at some point soon.
It was a interesting challenge.
I tend to have the musical idea first and the lyrics develop along with the tune. Lyrics first has, until now, been an alien concept. To be fair this is the second time I've paired up with STC's lyrics (The pairs comp earlier in the year) and I seem to be getting the hang of it.  ;)

@habiTat
Crowded House!! Wow dude.  :o If I could get anywhere near that standard I'd be on cloud 9. But Mr Finn is definitely one of my influences.  :)
Also thanks for running the Comp.
@Michael
Yeah the bass line is one of those bits that suffered most due to time constraints. I don't have a Bass guitar (an instrument I can play) to hand at the moment so I was reduced to playing the bass-line on the keyboard (an instrument I can't play). The actual basic idea I think is correct but the feel just isn't quite right.
@andy5544
Cliff....?  :o Yeah while I was mixing down I had the same thought. That's OK. I quite like Cliff's voice and I could do much worse.
The ending really had to be there. The song was already 4:30 and I didn't have the time to come up with anything better than to trundle it to a halt.
@songsthatcry
Thanks for the "blueprint". I spent quite a few hours cursing initially. It wasn't until I stopped trying to rearrange the lyrics into what I would have done and just tried fitting music to them as they were, that things started coming together. Fascinating is the right word. It's opened up another avenue of song-writing for me to explore.
@digger72
Once again Crowded House mentioned. High praise indeed but add that to the Proclaimers! Excellent! They come from just down the road from me so despite 30 years in England my accent still sneaks through.  ;)
The harmonica is only there because I didn't have time to come up with a decent solo. It's a one take deal and I'm glad I got away with it.  :-[
My thanks to Mrs D for listening.
@man of simple pleasures
I'm glad you like the sound. I've been trying to get my production skills better, but I think that most of this is down to the mic. A Samson C01 condenser mic. Best £60 I ever spent. The guitar is only a £300 Tanglewood round back and there is no EQing just a little delay effect.
@Paul
Crowded House, Cliff, Proclaimers and now Squeeze. Excellent!
I'm really glad you like the melody and harmonies. (which need work. Again first take) As I'm not really an instrumentalist I always hope people will see through my poor technique to the song's soul.
You've made me a happy man.  :D
As for the guitar tone as I said earlier, I thank the mic. Though I used a much lighter pick on this track. A 0.38mm. I wonder how much of a difference it made?

Finally. Once again thank you all for giving it a listen and overlooking the flaws. Cheers all.
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Dutchbeat

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 01:10:08 PM »
very pretty!!! nice warm atmosphere
great vocal and guitar sound

amazing work everybody did on these lyrics....

Dutchbeat

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »
me again, it really sounds as if the lyrics and music were written for each other

super!!

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 04:02:24 PM »
lovely feel reminds me of n young, four strong winds kind of thng, a fave of mine..
 completely different song but same kind of  approach especially when the 'monica comes in'
'mikhay & crazy horse'
very nice mikhay
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 09:14:39 PM »
Hits its stride after Chorus One. Verse one and chorus one either sounded a little cautious, or, my ear needed to adjust to your vibes.

Lovely moving melodies and interesting changes in general. 2.50 - 3.20 in particular shine

Great harping. And the mix in the chorus at the end works great. Perhaps this could have been unleashed earlier :)

I wasnt sure at first but it grew on me very quickly!

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Kafla

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 09:49:33 AM »
Another great entry Mihkay - the melody is excellent mate - you have a great 60s sound going on here  ;D

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 09:41:15 AM »
Great song Mik....Definitely getting the Neil Young feel from this(big hero of mine), lovely harmonica.  Very impressive songwriting...Excellent work
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran