Has this forum made you better at your craft? If so how?

• 16 Replies

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 09:14:06 PM »
A resounding yes - I definitely think it is improving me.

The critiques both of me and by me help indifferent ways. Songs I post and can only see in one way because of the 'proximity effect' (excuse the pun) are given we ideas and interpretations by other users. This s a big help as it helps me find new directions to explore. Even if the track reviewed is not necessarily revamped the ideas and suggestions are taken on board and incorporated into later productions. As for my critiques, it makes me hear differently, more depth and less superficial judgements. This is a skill that is highly transferable and is worth the mine alone.

On the production side, there are many gems and tips floating around and every little tweak moves one incrementally closer to a first class production.

Lyrically, his forum is a virtual reservoir of fine wordsmiths. I rarely put enough time into my lyrics. I can sort of write, but no where near as we'll as most here. When I read some of the stuff posted it inspires me too put more time and effort into the words.

So, yup, this forum is working for me.

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 12:31:30 AM »
Definitely.
Some useful hints and tips but mostly through the competitions. I've been forced out of my comfort zone to try things I wouldn't have tried. Like working lyrics first or writing to order and also working to a deadline helps the procrastination issues.
Sometimes it's just helpful to know there are others out there in the same boat. And occasionally it's nice to have an understanding ear to vent my exasperation at.  ;D
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)