Has this forum made you better at your craft? If so how?

• 16 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: September 30, 2012, 08:59:51 PM »
It struck me, since joining this forum earlier this year, I feel as though I've learnt so much from everyone. Be it technical top tips (my first song posted was full of really bad phasing which I thought was good  :P) to the actual craft of writing (the avoidance of cliche's etc..). I have also learned to appreciate the hard work that others put in, and to take the time to properly review their work. I'll be honest, when I first signed up I quite selfishly only really cared about my own work  :-\

I feel that I've improved as an artist so much more than I would have done without being here and I continue to learn as each week passes. So my question's are...

Are you a better artist?
&
What have you learnt since signing up?

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:44:08 PM »
A gem of a question!  :o

Long weekend working and now relaxing with a couple of beers. Thought's provoked but as Kafla will tell you, beer and posting on forums is a no no!  ;) ;D

Let me have a think...mmmmm

Bloody good question............
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:12:30 AM »

Long weekend working and now relaxing with a couple of beers. Thought's provoked but as Kafla will tell you, beer and posting on forums is a no no!  ;) ;D

I think all those beers made you guys forget this question and it almost fell off the bottom.. :D

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:05:23 AM »
Not yet.. honest answer.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:49:13 PM »
Dunno... I can't tell if the improvements I've made since joining have been because of feedback or just from me growing up...

In any case most of the changes in my writing recently have been genre shifts rather than other improvements.
Defective Elector

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 11:30:41 PM »
yes its made me a lot better at being cheeky
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 12:20:47 AM »
Don't know if it has made me a better artist....but it has motivated/fascinated me. I am now collaborating with people I can't see.  ;D..sort of musical fantasy  ;D  I've learnt a lot from reading the posts, and I listen to the music on here every day....so I guess it has influenced me in some ways, and  it has made me a better songwriter......I often try to play along with the songs on here, so maybe it has improved me as an artist as well ;D....I certainly get a lot out of it in terms of entertainment, and I feel very comfortable here.....being part of an artistic community like this is bound to improve your creative output to some degree...I suppose. ........interesting thread ;D
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Kafla

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 03:58:33 AM »

Ha ha ha ha 😁

Love it!

To answer the question YES 100%

Can't really explain it but this forum changed everything for me😁

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 08:55:03 AM »
Absofookinlutely! 

There is so much you can learn from others, listening to other songwriters, advice offered all sorts really.  Collaborations are something new for me too and it's great, long may that continue. I agree with my friend Kaf xxx

Dutchbeat

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 04:31:02 PM »
the forum has given me extra inspiration and pleasure in songwriting. I have been writing songs since i was 10 years old (i still have a cassete with my very first song :-), everytime a song was finished a few people might hear it, sometimes nobody would hear it, and the cassette (and later the CD) went into a drawer and that was it. Nowadays when i record a song i cannot help wondering what the regular forumites will think of it...this is also particularly true for the relatively new part of my hobby, adding a video...i think the fact that some people watch it, i mean the regular forumites, makes it good fun for me to look for weird images all the time (and the good thing about that part of the hobby is....you can do that all the time...even while being on the 'workplace' or driving to work...etc. there can always be a situation, strange weather condition or something happening that is worthwhile for a video, even details of objects can be interesting sometimes, well that is what i think)

have i learned from the forum?.....yes, i know better now what i do wrong and should improve, but for some reason i find it hard to really change what i am doing (music and mixwise), it also made me realise that i have a specific taste that actually is quite generally considered to be bad taste  ;D, and i am afraid you, the forumites, are very right in that

and i had tons of practical tips, some of which i really do use, and some of which i should have known 20 years ago

so yes, i planning on hanging around here for some more time  ;D

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 04:19:55 PM »
It's hard to say.
It hasn't improved my songwriting or my ability but it has at time given me the drive to write.
Especially when I see some of the great songs people put up here. It inspires me to try hard at
my own thing.
The other thing that is slowly improving is mixing/production, with the help of people on here who know a thing or two about that side of stuff.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »
Don't know if it has made me a better artist....but it has motivated/fascinated me. I am now collaborating with people I can't see.  ;D..sort of musical fantasy  ;D  I've learnt a lot from reading the posts, and I listen to the music on here every day....so I guess it has influenced me in some ways, and  it has made me a better songwriter......I often try to play along with the songs on here, so maybe it has improved me as an artist as well ;D....I certainly get a lot out of it in terms of entertainment, and I feel very comfortable here.....being part of an artistic community like this is bound to improve your creative output to some degree...I suppose. ........interesting thread ;D

Yep, that's something, motivation.. I feel like I want to write and record because there is a willing and knowledgeable audience who are prepared to take the time to listen and offer honest, impartial feedback.

I too feel very comfortable here, it is now my first port of call every time I log on to the net.( It was Planet F1 for about the last 4 years)

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 05:56:24 PM »
I haven't been here for long, so it's kind of too early to tell  ;D

One thing I noticed though, is that the forum keeps me focused on my music. Since I've signed up here, I've spent a lot more time writing and composing than before.

Also, when I listen to the songs other users post on here, I realize what great results people can get from making music at home, so that's probably a huge inpiration for me.

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 06:54:55 PM »
its made me want to get into the studio and do some polished recordings having been on here!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 05:57:12 PM »
It's made me a better listener - no doubt about that. I don't know if it's made me a better writer. It's hard to say what makes your writing improve. I think the best thing you can do to get better is just write and listen.

It's been a real pleasure seeing this forum grow, and getting to know the members and their music. Seeing and hearing you all collaborate has been a real treat too.

You guys rock! :D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l