Lots of views/listens, not many replies...?

• 11 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:46:14 PM »
Ok, generally when I decide to do some reviewing, I plug in the headphones, close the door and focus on the music. I generally work my way down the list and, with a few exceptions will listen to, and write my thoughts on each thread I look at.

I guess not everyone has this approach. The majority of posts have a proportionately massive number of views compared to replies. I was just wondering why..? I'm not complaining, I just don't understand it.

What does bug me is that, on my soundcloud account, I can see that a particular song has had, say 20 listens, yet there may only be 6 or 7 reviews. Either the people who did listen really liked it and listened again... and again, or much much worse IMO is that people listened and thought "nah" and didn't comment.

If they thought "nah, don't like that", I want to know WHY. This forum is for critique and constructive criticism. I'd rather have someone say "I thought it was boring because..." or "The chorus annoys me" than no comment at all.

To have only comments left by people who actually liked the song, though good for the ego, is not very balanced and ultimately maybe not as helpful as comments left by people who didn't.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here and have completely missed something or do I have a point?

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:01:43 PM »
I think it`s a common occurrence on song sites...for example i`m feeling pretty tired at the moment and it`s a big effort even thinking up this. :-\

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:37:55 PM »
What i find is i'll have say 30 views on the forum , then only seven views on soundcloud,
So why would someone take the trouble to look on the forum then not listen to the song ?
Do i put them off with my introduction ? is it the lyrics ? ( probably  :D )

i do sometimes have 3 or 4 listens to a song before i comment , that may explain what the opening post was talking about ,more listens than comments , if enough people did it .
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:42:45 PM »
Remember that forum regulars are in a minority on this site, even thought they're what makes it happen. Every time someone reads your thread, whether they're logged in or not, the forum counts it. It's even counted when the page is indexed by a search engine or facebook.

But back to the original post, it's good that you're looking for detailed feedback as opposed to a pat on the back. I'm not sure I've opened one of your threads yet, but it's good to know you're looking for honesty. It can be hard to tell sometimes, and hard to know how to pitch your response to a song.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:44:47 PM »
I used to do exactly the same as you HABITAT - set time aside for sitting down and reviewing every song from top to bottom (well, bottom to top actually)

Unfortunately due to time constraints - and a recent influx of song submissions - it has all run away from me

When a new song is posted I tend to have a quick listen on my tablet so I can get a feel

My tablet is AWFUL for typing on so I very rarely write reviews on it

When I get to my PC I try to have another listen and write a review
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 08:24:48 AM »
Umm,, beginning to see your point...the song i did with GARNER and BOYDIE...181 veiws..15 people have listened on soundclould..i`ve had about 3 , so thats a bit weird...would you click on a post,then not proceed to listen to the track? ???

I always have a listen,,
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:29:04 AM by songsthatcry »

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 09:34:24 AM »
Another great post ;D

I would like to know what counts as a listen on soundcloud - is it right to the end or just part of the song?
Maybe the listener is switching it off?

I personally think its only common courtesy to review someones song if they have reviewed yours.

Remember as well though that others may listen that are not on the forum.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 09:51:31 AM »
Just had another thought on this...

I think we have missed it because it is so obvious, although it gets more relevant as a song gets more reviews

When I review someone elses song I will keep revisiting the thread to see what others think of the song - and if anyone agrees/challenges my review

I also like to see if the OP responds

I have learnt more from reading the reviews of other songs than I have posting my own!

There is also the view count of the OP checking in to read his/her reviews, which I am sure bumps up the hit count considerably!!

Finally, I am unable to listen to Soundcloud etc. at work but I will still read the reviews of a song I haven't heard yet to see what others have said prior to listening and reviewing when I get home

Just a couple of extra thoughs to explain the high number of views but lack of reviews!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 10:35:52 AM »

I think we have missed it because it is so obvious, although it gets more relevant as a song gets more reviews

When I review someone elses song I will keep revisiting the thread to see what others think of the song - and if anyone agrees/challenges my review

I have learnt more from reading the reviews of other songs than I have posting my own!

There is also the view count of the OP checking in to read his/her reviews, which I am sure bumps up the hit count considerably!!

Finally, I am unable to listen to Soundcloud etc. at work but I will still read the reviews of a song I haven't heard yet to see what others have said prior to listening and reviewing when I get home

Just a couple of extra thoughs to explain the high number of views but lack of reviews!

You are right ... i do that too !!!

something else i do , maybe seen as petty or childish , i'll comment on peoples songs , i'll give them a couple of goes ,then if they don't have the decency to return the gesture on my stuff
i think fuckem !! they can get stuffed then , even if i really like their stuff  ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Kafla

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 12:08:38 PM »

something else i do , maybe seen as petty or childish , i'll comment on peoples songs , i'll give them a couple of goes ,then if they don't have the decency to return the gesture on my stuff
i think fuckem !! they can get stuffed then , even if i really like their stuff  ;D

Totally agree , why waste time supporting someone who doesn't support you.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 03:05:06 AM »
Guilty.

I confess, I am guilty of listening to some tracks and not commenting. Its not that I only comment on songs I like its just that I feel unqualified to comment on music that is a long way from my chosen genres. I am reticent to make comments that may do more harm than good.

Most of the time however, I will comment and comment in depth. I feel that this is of more benifit than just a throw away comment such as "nice song." I certainly try and target songs by people who have commented on mine as this helps foster a recprical approach.

I guess we all approach things in different ways, all of which may be valid approaches.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 07:54:41 AM »

i think fuckem !! they can get stuffed then , even if i really like their stuff  ;D

Totally agree , why waste time supporting someone who doesn't support you.

I agree with this in theory and don't think it is petty as it encourages people to be involved. Although as I rarely post any music and review in fits and spurts, I think I generally review peoples songs who have never even heard anything I've done :P

It gets petty when e.g. you expect positive reviews from people you have left positive reviews too...or even worse, burning someones song just because they didn't like yours!

Thankfully, I've never had it happen to me on this forum, and I've never seen it happen...but I have had it happen on other recording-orientated forums.

I will very often listen to tracks and not review them and it can be for a number of reasons:

1. I dont feel I can add anything that hasn't already been said
2. I didnt like the song, but didnt have any constructive comments to make. I dont see any point in wasting time just to say I dont like it!
3. I really liked the song but couldnt think of any constructive criticism (or was unable to describe why it was good). This one is perhaps a bit mean spirited, but I'd rather spend time trying to offer some thoughts/advice than just flooding the place with another 'its great' comment. Especially if there are already 10 before me!
4. I dont have time!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:58:44 AM by Ramshackles »