Songwriter Forum > Recording

compresser when recording vocals

(1/3) > >>

tina m:
i have never used a compresser when recording vocals before but now ive been working with a man who doesnt realy know how to use a mic we have been getiing some very distorted vocals& am thinking i should have used it before recording instead of after
what do other people use?.. iwould need one with presets i just cant understand the knobs

tone:
The distortion isn't happening because you need a compressor - it's happening because the level is too loud. Most people record the vocals straight and then add compression afterwards.  That way you can always adjust the amount of compression later. Some people use the compressor straight in with the mic, but if you don't know what you're doing then the results may be just as bad as they are now.

When you say doesn't know how to use a mic, are you talking about not knowing how to record from one, or not knowing how to sing into one? (it's a serious question :D )

tina m:
hi tone what i mean is hes not realy a singer i tell him what i want & he just improvises & my problem is to capture it as it happens! apart from some sort of restraining harness to keep him away from the mic i dont know what to do!  :D  he doesnt seem to have a volume control
so yes i normally do use a compreseser after but wondered if i could use one before it might stop the distorting ruining these takes but i dont know if i can use a plugin one when recording so thought id have to buya hardware one

James Nighthawk:
Distortion on a vocal sound won't be helped by adding a compressor in the recording chain. Not if it is there constantly. A few peaks might be prevented, but, still, reduce your peak levels when setting your levels.

You have an issue with levels, or mic placement, or pre Amps in your mixer and or sound card.

All part of the fun of recording!

nooms:
just a thought but maybe you could try placing a second mic slightly beyond him to catch things when hes 'over toning'
sounds like he needs to be free with his vocals, getting him to pull back when necessary is favourite but you might be able to cheat if you add an extra mic

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version