konalavadome

Ghosts - Kafla (New version featuring Boydie)

• 46 Replies

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 05:28:49 PM »

i was just trying to say..

this giant melody shall stalk the earth.
very catchyboled
you cant say fairer than that in any language

rather than sounds fantastic and got carried away on google translator..

really strong this, up another level  great radio song
well done guys

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 05:33:45 PM »

Got to say habitat every few months someone joins who is mr enthusiastic about the forum - it was me a few years ago and Boydie not so long ago - it's a pleasure to be here - when I listen to my first mixes I can't believe how for this forum has dragged me along - and I naively thought I was good at the start  :o

I feel that dragging force as we speak  :D

I've already created a 'listen and laugh' folder for all my pre-forum music haha...it's terrible :-\

Kafla

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 05:36:35 PM »

Got to say habitat every few months someone joins who is mr enthusiastic about the forum - it was me a few years ago and Boydie not so long ago - it's a pleasure to be here - when I listen to my first mixes I can't believe how for this forum has dragged me along - and I naively thought I was good at the start  :o

I've already created a 'listen and laugh' folder for all my pre-forum music haha...it's terrible :-\

Ha ha

You learn more here in a year that you could in a lifetime in textbooks

It really is a special place Mr Tone has created  ;D

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 10:27:41 PM »

Ha ha

You learn more here in a year that you could in a lifetime in textbooks

It really is a special place Mr Tone has created  ;D

Indeed it is, indeed it is :)

btw, I've just downloaded Ghosts, if that's ok? I'm putting together a folder of my fav's from the forum, just to listen to in the car :)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 01:50:39 AM »
How did I miss this! I thought I was keeping much or less up to date  :o
This is really ace Kaf. I didn't think I was going to like it at first but before it was
half way through I was sold.
The strings were inspired especially on that bridging section. That was my favourite part
of the song.
Your vocals are very strong too mate, very nice indeed.
If I would add anything at all it would be that the piano seemed a little dull insead of crisp and bright.
Maybe you wanted the muffled tone but to my ears it was just a bit too dull.
Take nothing away though mate, this is really ace!  ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 02:05:06 AM »

came back to this tonight and really enjoying it
gtr parts really help it and your vocals terrific and distinctive
that boomy low end thing i heard before has been sorted, least ways i cant hear it now..
like the up'down strings in the build 

panning on the drums seems bit odd, dont sound in the centre, theyre doing all the right things but panning seems odd or something  ?

superb though
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2012, 10:56:41 AM »
I'm going to try to review this as a brand new song as it's been several weeks since I last listened. So, without referring to my previous review:  The overall impression is of a very big anthem. The piano beginning is excellent and sets the mood extremely well.  I would definitely hold back on introducing the electric guitar so soon.   If it's going to be in there at this early stage,  I'd decrease the number of notes that are played even though they are few at the moment.  I would introduce the guitar at 'fear comes strong' or perhaps even wait until verse 2 and allow the guitar chord work to start as it does followed by the lead work at 'fear comes strong before you're sleeping.'  I reckon it must have been a difficult process, knitting all of the component parts together.  The new guitars definitely enhance the mix but I think it all needs to sit together more harmoniously.  Having said that,  All of the ingredients are here and they are excellent.  The song is very strong and the M8 in particular is a highlight of the writing process. I've listened through headphones and am now going to listen through my monitors now that everyone is up out of bed.   :)

Overall, I feel that there is a better mix to be found but as I repeatedly say, the song conveys all of the ideas, communicating the great potential of the song.

Well done to both of you on a a successful collaboration!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:09:42 AM by Paul »

Kafla

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »
Hey Hey Hey beautiful forumites!

Wire in Habitat - I make all my songs downloadable - it makes me really happy when someone downloads one!

So I am still really pleased with this - what really encourages me is that I am beginning to anticipate what will get criticised but havent quite worked out how to fix it - ha ha

The piano is not quite right - I think its the actual piano sound foremost but I had spent so long adjusting the out of the box setting that I didnt have the heart to start again :o

The drums in the original mix were too thin so I attempted to fix this - initially  spent days programming beats but I just couldnt get the right groove so I went for an apple loop (which I dont normally do ) this meant I had less control over the drums. I used a plug in and I think it improved the drums but it was damage limitation - they are panned a little oddly - but it was better than the previous thinness!

And yes the mix could be better - but lets be honest has there ever been a song posted on here that someone didnt think could be mixed better?

I ended up with 47 tracks on this one and had to incorporate Boydies (superb) guitars, put effects on them , eq them. I am really please with the mix here - it is for the moment the very capacity of what I am capable of - each instrument has a little space and it kind of gels.

Boydie didnt think that the guitars should go in from the start and I over ruled him - my main reasoning was that with just piano and vocal you could hear me shuffling about in the vocals - ha ha - but also so much comes in on the second verse - drums, bass, cello, grungy guitar, finger picked guitar - I felt it was acceptable to introduce the first guitar that little bit early - but either way surely it doesn't change the song that much?

I am so pleased that the majority of people commented on the harmonies - I spent a lot of time on them - making sure each part used the same phrasing and timing - as  I am sure you are aware its not easy.

So overall very happy but completely agree with the little crits - what makes me most happy is that I personally have now finished this - I know I cannot do any better , I agree others could - but I finally feel that I can now put this to bed.

Thanks everyone - sincerely - particularly to Mr Boydie ;D

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2012, 01:04:53 PM »
but I finally feel that I can now put this to bed.

Probably the hardest decision to make when songwriting

As RED always tells me - songs are never finished, they are abandoned!

I think you made the right call here - you can always go back in the future but for now I think you are spot on to "put it to bed" as far as writing and production goes - and concentrate on getting it "out there" and working on new stuff!

Thanks everyone - sincerely - particularly to Mr Boydie

'twas an absolute pleasure - you know where I am if you need anything else  ;)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

danproducerman

• Busker
    • www.facebook.com/danscholesproducer
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »
Hey Kafla

Being new to the forum, I've only just got around to listening to the song.

Really really enjoyed it! Love the lyrics particularly in the chorus - very haunting if you excuse the pun! You've got a great voice there too which is emotive and fits the style of the song. For me there are parts of this song, that for me makes me almost think of Elton John in some of his later work and could almost imagine him singing it. Please take this as a compliment!  :)

I agree with the other posters that the drums for me are a little static and almost too quantized so could probably benefit from a bit more freedom. As a demo recording it gets the message across great. I think if the song had a professional production make-over, it would really help the song realise it's full potential.

Great work though!

SoundOnTape

• Busker
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »
Great vocals..
ClayTray.com

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 01:19:45 AM »
I would definitely hold back on introducing the electric guitar so soon.   If it's going to be in there at this early stage,  I'd decrease the number of notes that are played even though they are few at the moment.  I would introduce the guitar at 'fear comes strong' or perhaps even wait until verse 2 and allow the guitar chord work to start as it does followed by the lead work at 'fear comes strong before you're sleeping.'

I concur with this from Paul :)

I love this song and with the guitar additions from Boydie it is so very close to greatness from an arrangement point of view.

Along with the careful use of the electric guitar, I would consider adding a subtle acc guitar - strummed cautiously, panned 75% right, to counter balance the electric motifs. Perhaps capoed midway up the neck on open chords to give a high-mid-heavy feel. That way it would stick out in the mix even at a lower volume. It could also add a percussive edge that would drive the piece nicely.

Just my 2 cents

Great song, as I have said

JNxx
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Kafla

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 10:29:03 AM »
Cheers guys ;D

I appreciate you taking the time to listen again James - as I have said to Paul a by-product of you being a better producer is that you can hear things I cannot - but your guidance certainly helps and aides the development so thank you ;D

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 02:28:35 PM »
I know it is finished abandoned, but if you want a strummy acoustic line to try I will record a stem for you the next time I get the acoustic & mic out
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 01:33:21 PM »
Im doing my infrequent catch up with reviewing so pulling up some old stuff. This is very anthemic.
The harmony on the chorus is excellent and although nothing much happens in terms or arrangement, mood or tempo in the first part of the chorus, that harmony really lifts and takes it somewhere else.

I'm not sure what I think about the electric guitar that comes in at the start. I think maybe there is too much of it..its kind of relentless throughout the song and it's not the most interesting guitar part I've heard..distracts from the vocal/melody a bit - which is the main and absolute best part :)

On a production note - the use of compression is way too much, especially on the drums. it's pumping like crazy in my ear buds...if you haven't listened on ear buds I suggest you do just so you can get an idea of what im talking about (its often harder to hear it on speakers)...when the drums come in you get this very loud attack and then suddenly the compressor kicks in like a maniac and pulls it down...so its going up down up down and sounds baaaad...