konalavadome

Ghosts - Kafla (New version featuring Boydie)

• 46 Replies

Kafla

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 01:44:38 PM »
This is very, very stong writing.

The restraint is remarkable. The lines of vocals have plenty of open space. The piano line is sparse yet just enough.

The change at 2.16 is very powerful, a wonderful surpise and perfectly timed.

The lyrics are great

There's got to be someway to reach you tonight
 Optical light and telephone lines
 A collection of pixels is not close enough
 The resolutions there
 The definition in every line

This walks the fine line between metaphor and statement. I love the sentiment of modern tech bringing us closer and yet not compensating on a real, human level. Nothing like real human contact. "Ghost" makes wonderful sense in context here.

As a demo is is perfectly fine at presenting the song. The arrangement largely works a charm. I would perhaps have brought the drums in a little less busy, allowing one more gear change before the change.

The only "issues" with the production I have are the standard home recording limitations (programmed stings/drums), so, as I say, really really great work within your set up  ;D

The hint of religiosity falls flat for me. Stanza three seems to be a misfit. But, I am sure there is reasoning in which case leave it well alone. I does provide an old vs new to the lyrical ideas however.

The vocal is perhaps the strongest I have heard from you. A great balance of emotion and detail, with great pitching (only once could I hear the autotuner in action this time, and barely at that!)

Cheers Pez!

And mr Nooms - thank you for listening - your reviews always make me smile ;D I shall investigate that dark humming  :)

James - seriously thanks for your kind and courteous review. You really have thought about this song - that means a lot mate ;D

Its hard to explain the stanza you speak about without explaining the true meaning of the song - and for personal reasons I don't want to do that.

But those lines came to me whilst I was at chapel a few Sunday's back and in light of the predicament I was in they just made perfect sense - infact I remember feeling quite overwhelmed at that point - but its so personal I accecpt it might not translate very well.

Thanks James - your thoughts really have helped settle a few things I have had on my mind ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:02:21 PM by Kafla »

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 08:37:10 PM »
Hi Kafla,

Nice song.
I agree with James about the strings. I like them in there, but getting top notch midi produced sounds is so difficult.
Good vocal. I remember listening to your songs many months ago and they were always one of the strongest parts.

All the best,

Digger

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 10:44:20 PM »
all about the vocals def got a bit of ashcroft in there! the change after a couple minutes is mega with the strings! good song enjoyed the listen! great song this would get better with each listen like, pretty epic in bits!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 05:41:07 PM »
How did I miss this one!!!  :o

I have just one word - Beautiful!!!

This is the best vocal I have heard from you and one of my favourites from the forums

The song itself is wonderful

I agree with the comment about the drums sounding a little "tight" - perhaps less compression, some 'verb and more panning would spread them out a little

I think some vocal harmonies on the chorus would sound sweet and could be mixed to give a "ghostly" flavour to compliment the track

I can also hear some "chunking" guitars, an acoustic strumming along and some of those "U2" esque things ABV was mentioning

If you would like some guitar stems to play with I would be happy to record a few bits for you to try out if you want - e.g. a verse, chorus & bridge in various styles / tones

Just PM if this is something you would like to play with and we can sort something out

Great job - I really enjoyed listening to this one
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Kafla

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 08:55:56 AM »
So i took Boydie up on his offer and asked him for some guitar tracks - I think the man totally excelled here  ;D Genius mate - sincere thanks for your time - you really made me very happy ;D

I also listened to all the advice I got around this song and tried to incorporate all the feedback

I have spent a long, long time on this and have added in several harmonies

I would appreciate another listen if you have time

The orginal link is still valid as well as this http://soundcloud.com/andrewcruse/ghosts

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 09:09:34 AM »
I haven't heard this song before but bloody hell Kaf, are you going to songwriting school or something, every time you post something it just gets better and better.  I absolutely love this and the harmonies send shivers down my spine, you should be really proud of this, and your voice sounds terrific by the way!

Love love love it

xxx

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »
I'm writing as I listen, first version first, Mate this is beautiful, really really good. I wish there was stuff like this on the radio. This is truly awesome Kaf. I agree with the Richard Ashcroft references, I'd actually say I prefer your voice. This is such a good song, the production is really strong, the vocal harmonies are excellent.

Right I'm listening to the Boydie version now...erm.. I might be being thick but all links lead to the same version I think ???

I'm not sure if I have heard the new or original version but either way I think it's great.

Well done Kaf

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 09:52:45 AM »
Like HABITAT,,not sure if i heard the new one,,,but theres electric guitar on it so,,probably did....

It`s a sound thats in it`s own comfort zone...centres heavily around the chorus..and why not..it`s hooky,,

One thing i don`t understand about you lot that record,,is you never take advantage of any female singers that show themselves on here now and again...this as duet written all over it.... Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock. ;)

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 09:58:15 AM »
Wow, this really is great work you have done here !! :)

The guitars are awesome, and so are the vocal harmonies.

Oh, and I think STC might be on to something with that duet suggestion...

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 11:41:32 AM »
Just to clarify, both links do go to the NEW version with guitars

It was an absolute pleasure working with KAFLA on his track

It is so rewarding to "show" someone what you heard in your head whilst you review their song, and even more rewarding when they like it and use it!!!!

I originally said to KAFLA to save the guitar motif for the second verse so the the first verse remained just piano and vocals - however, I must admit that on hearing this version he has mixed it in perfectly

The harmonies are absolutely spectacular and the song was an absolute joy to work on and is still one of my favourites

Great job and I think this one will be going on my ipod with a few others from around these parts  ;D  ;)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Dutchbeat

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »
wow, your doing it again Kafla, sending the shivers all the way to the Netherlands

and that guitar track is adding to that feeling

solemn, perfect & epic

man, this is super!!! send it to publishers!!!!!

super version! great guitar! (but i was hoping for one of those more outgoing guitar solos at the end....but that is just me...because it issssss splendid)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 02:37:10 PM »
this sounds like a million seller andy i could imagine this at the olympic games closing ceremony with boydie on the roof of buckingham palace! yes its another great song in the long line of great songs you have coming out of kafla studios
i didnt hear the original but it was nice to hear a song of yours with electric guitar
oh im back at the olympics & the songs playing & the dutch team seem to be embaressed at the dancing of one of there supporters  ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »
kafnboyd

istum gigantem melodiam morietur culmus terram.
valde catchybol
vos cant dicere aequius quam in ulla lingua

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Dutchbeat

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 04:05:23 PM »
yes, right, exactly what Nooms says! I couldn't say it better than that....speechless, that is what we are

Kafla

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 05:09:33 PM »
Thanks everyone  ;D

Got to say habitat every few months someone joins who is mr enthusiastic about the forum - it was me a few years ago and Boydie not so long ago - it's a pleasure to be here - when I listen to my first mixes I can't believe how for this forum has dragged me along - and I naively thought I was good at the start  :o

Thank you Flossie - love STC's duet suggestion - you up for it?

Michael - cheers my friend - working on your song as I type  ;)

DB - always good that you have my back  :o

And welcome back Tina - the forum needs your patter

thanks Nooms - I think  ;D

And Boydie - what a nice guy you are - awesome contributor to the forum - sensational playing on this - so many different styles - lifted this to a new level  ;D