konalavadome

Nylon String Acoustic Guitar - Recommendations please!

• 8 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:56:37 PM »
Hello fellow players of the acoustic guitar!

I am considering buying a nylon string guitar. I have been listening (for a change!) to Ms Laura Marling a lot of late - Her "Live at York Minster" CD was worth rebuying her recent album for! And I have really been loving the softer sound of the nylon strung guitar she has taken to using more and more. I could see me writing on such and instrument and enjoying recording with one.

Ideally I want one with built in electrics of a decent quality, giggable basically.

But of course a very nice recordable sound for the studio.

I am a steel string player so no thick Spanish style necks thanks!

Budget ideally 3 figures not 4!

I am COMPLETELY new to this world. In the steel strung world I know the main differences in sound and playability between a Martin/Gibson/Takamine etc... but here I am a noob!

Enlighten me people, and perhaps help me buy my next baby  ;D

Thanks in advance!

J
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 01:31:45 AM »
Nylon strung guitars are brilliant! :D I absolutely love my classical guitar, and it's easily the best guitar I own by a long stretch.

I'm not terribly geeky about instruments, but it's an Epiphone C50. The tone of this guitar is just perfect.

But.

And it's a fairly important but... unless you're willing to spend a lot of money, getting one with a built-in pickup system that actually sounds good when you plug it in isn't very easy. I definitely recommend using a mic-based pickup, or a mic/ transducer blended system. The transducer on its own sounds very plastic-y. I've yet to hear one that doesn't.

Laura Marling does have a lovely touch on the guitar - I've been listening to the new album a lot too :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 08:18:29 AM »
Hi JAMES

This should be quite an easy one for you I think!

I absolutely LOVE the sound of nylon strung acoustics and a few years ago I had my heart set on a GODIN

Unfortunately when I got to play one I was extremely disappointed and it turned me off getting one altogether

However, recently YAMAHA have released a "budget" version of their high end nylon strung guitars and the reviews have been amazing - they seem to have got everything right at an amazing price and it has even been compared favourably to their top of the range models

If I can find the review in "Guitarist" magazine I will let you know the model number and details of the review but in the meantime I would definitely try out a YAMAHA - I tried one in DV247 at Romford and it was awesome

Unfortunately (or fortunately as it turned out) I went for a Martin steel strung instead so don't have the space for a nylon strung but will probably get one one day...
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:36:44 AM »
Cheers for the reply lads!

Everyone should own a Martin Boydie, so you were right to buy ;)

I have a Yamaha solid top acoustic that I bought 15 years ago. Still sounds ace now. Yamaha have a good rep with me esp for the money you pay! Such good value.

And it's a fairly important but... unless you're willing to spend a lot of money, getting one with a built-in pickup system that actually sounds good when you plug it in isn't very easy. I definitely recommend using a mic-based pickup, or a mic/ transducer blended system. The transducer on its own sounds very plastic-y. I've yet to hear one that doesn't.

Thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense. I have always been wary of built in electrics as a huge part of the budget goes (or does not go!) on the electrics. My Gibson Sheryl Crow sounds ace plugged in - still has a slight electro-acoustic "jangle" to it but I think that is unavoidable. Would be great to have a classical to go with it on stage...

BOYDIE, keep me posted, I'll deffo be interested in that model number :)
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:45:57 AM »
My tech knowledge of guitar models is very limited but when I read your post it reminded me of a lovely little slimline electro acoustic used by Tonino of the Gypsy Kings. Now the recording is really old (so the sound quality may not be perfect) but I just had to share it with you cos his playing is truly awesome and I've always wanted THAT guitar...

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »
James - I think you are restricting yourself requiring built in electronics. They add a fair bit to the price of guitars for no extra quality. And the inbuilt electronics are often a bit poor.

I bought a Yamaha steel string 2-3 years ago on the basis that it had inbuilt electronics and tuner. For the same price I could've got a very good Martin (but no electronics). One attempt plugging in the yamaha when I got it told me that the pickup was not of high enough quality for good gigging and the tuner is not accurate enough. And these are yamahas 'best' electronics.

Anyway, I think you would do better using your budget for a non-electronics guitar (all those electrics inside can also effect the tone of the guitar) and if the need arises you can swing for a fishman pickup or similar, which just fits across the soundhole.

A pedal tuner, even cheap ones, are generally more accurate, more rugged, and more easily seen in dim-lit clubs than the little screens on in built electronics!

I've heard good things about tanglewood nylons...

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 12:03:46 PM »
@ramshackles

I agree. I have always been wary of built in electrics. I only have one electro acoustic (the sheryl) and she is awesome acoustic.... The pick up was a bonus I didn't know about when trying it! But then she was a 4 figure purchase...

You aren't the first to tell me how great fishermans are. I think grabbing one of those would be the way forward. That way I can use it in my other guitars.

Tanglewoods added to the to try list :)

And yup I always use a boss pedal tuner alongside a clip on headstock tuner (I reference them both together. Picky....moi.?!)
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 04:56:26 PM »
Hi James,

I think the best thing to do is to play several different Classical guitars in a guitar/music shop.  Yamaha have a good tradition for making quality classical guitars that don't cost the earth so that could be one to include amongst the guitars that you try out.  I play an inexpensive Tanglewood Classical.  This company make lovely guitars that don't break the bank. Mine makes  a good sound but not the exact tone that I would prefer.  I've always been a steel string player so I didn't want to spend too much money on a guitar that I may or may not like.  Having said that, I record a lot with my Tanglewood.  I loved the different experience of playing classical compared to steel string, from day one.  I'm sure that in the future,  I will upgrade to a better model.  At that time, I'll be playing several in a music shop before purchasing.  Good luck with your search!

Finally, a classical really does invite you to play in a different way to what you would with a steel string acoustic.  I've written several songs that I know I would not have done so had I not bought a classical.  I'd say that is something to very much look forward to!

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 05:27:45 PM »
Finally, a classical really does invite you to play in a different way to what you would with a steel string acoustic.  I've written several songs that I know I would not have done so had I not bought a classical.  I'd say that is something to very much look forward to!

Exactly my thinking! This is exactly why I want to pick one up :)
Twitter @JamesNighthawk