Songwriter Forum > Recording

Best music software

(1/2) > >>

Koolkat:
I currently use Guitar Pro 6 to create backing tracks to play along to. These usually consist of Bass and Drums with some Keyboards now and then. I play along on Guitar and provide Vocals. I have a reasonable musical knowledge and find it good to use.

However, there are limitations with this software and I would not want to use it for backing at a pub gig for instance. One of the things I find limiting on GP6 is the drum effects, i.e rolls etc. I would also like some pre recorded rythms that could be edited.  Can anyone recommend some software that would give me more professional results while still having the note by note writing style of GP.

Thanks

Boydie:
Most DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software will allow you to enter notes using either a notation view or a "piano roll" view - where you place blocks in a grid with pitch on a vertical axis and time on a horizontal access

The key questions are "what is your budget?" and "what will you be using - pc or mac?"

At the cheap (free) end of the scale you have AUDACITY and REAPER

I am not familiar with these but I believe AUDACITY is a multi-track audio recorder and REAPER can record audio and MIDI

My favourite DAW is CAKEWALK SONAR

This is by no means considered "the best" but it certainly does pack the best "bang for buck" as far as included content and plug ins

It can produce very professional results

It has the inbuilt drum features you are looking for and I doubt you would out grow it unless you were setting up a pro studio - and even then I think it would still "cut the mustard"

Other DAWs worth mentioning are CUBASE, PRO TOOLS and LOGIC - I have also heard some VERY good things about the new version of REASON - REASON 6

If you are based in the UK another option is to buy COMPUTER MUSIC magazine

This comes with a free DAW on the cover CD, which includes lots of free plug ins - and you will also get lots of tutorials on how to use it!

My recommendation would be SONAR

Most the tracks on my Soundcloud (with the exception of "Dreams" and "Breakdown") were recorded at home using SONAR running on my laptop, using the inbuilt SONAR drum synth

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic 

You can't go too far wrong with whatever you choose as long as you commit some time to learning how to use it properly

Most DAWs work in similar ways so learning one will not be wasted time - the skills are all transferable so you might want to go for a free/cheap on first to "cut your teeth" and then move on when you feel ready

I took the plunge and got one that I would never grow out of and haven't regretted it

You pay your money, you take your choice (to quote the Quo)

Koolkat:
I must admit I had looked at Cakewalk SONAR but there seemed to be a number of different packages and I was not sure which I should be considering. I am quite happy to spend some money on a package that offers me all I need and more.

You have mentioned a number of other software packages but I am tempted by SONAR as what you say seems to fit my criteria. I shall investigate further. Thanks.

Boydie:
The range is a little confusing

The version I am using is SONAR 8.5 Producer

This has everything I need

The current version is "X1" but I did not find the need to upgrade to this

X2 is just around the corner and if you buy X1 not you should get a free upgrade to X2

I would suggest that you have a look around the SONAR forums to determine the best package for you

http://forum.cakewalk.com/default.aspx

Kafla:
I really cant see past Logic

I used to use Sonar and now that I am Mr Apple I think Sonar is a very clunky and poor brother

They are the same cost wise now although you do need to spend approx £700 more on a Mac so if its budget based Sonar wins everytime :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version