konalavadome

What next

• 10 Replies

Koolkat

• Busker
« on: September 19, 2012, 01:28:41 PM »
I have written a song that I am keen to take further to a possible Christmas single. It is called "Like the Old Ones Were" and is a light hearted nod at how Christmas's have changed over the past 40 years or so. Not a ballad though but a Quo-esque rock track with a retro feel to match the theme.

My direct input to this is the vocals and rythm guitar. However, I have produced a drum and bass backing track on GP6 just to get the idea accross. I would not deem this backing to be suitable for any serious recording though.

I have demo'd the song to a small group with encouraging results so am now deciding what to do next. This is my first foray into this world as I have always written and played for fun so do not have any recording equipment etc.

As I see it, my options are as follows and I would be grateful for any recommendations on the best way to proceed.

1. Learn to use more more suitable software to produce the backing and then get it all recorded in a studio. Then tout it around the bazaars to try and find someone interested in the song. (Or YouTube)

2. Enlist the help of a producer to handle everthing for me.

3. I have some musical connections locally so could look for some musicians interested in helping me with the project. Once ready, record in a studio and try and find an interested label. (Or YouTube)

4. Find someone already familiar with suitable music software to help produce a more professional backing.

5. None of the above.

The bottom line is, the one thing stopping me going to a studio and getting a demo made is that I do not have any backing, musicians or otherwise. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »
I think what your proposing is going to be hard to achieve and in the end costly...

Heres a list of Christmas hits ..look at the dates,,,,don`t seem to be many recorded in the last 10 yrs or so.

http://www.everyhit.com/christmas/festivefifty.html

A lady i know recorded one ,it`s pretty good as far as these songs go..recorded at Pinewood studios...features in a film  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1629443/                                           

....got air time in the US...

Have you heard of it?  no..and i bet a lot of others have not either...

But if you feel confident and can afford to do it...you can give it a go!!

Koolkat

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 04:03:01 PM »
I am willing to pay for time in a local recording studio and I am willing to do the leg work to promote the record. No one is more aware than myself that the song will most likely die without trace. However, at least I would have tried which for me is better than doing nothing.
Anyway, giving it another live demo tomorrow and going to speak to local recording Engineer this weekend. You never know, I may get a similar sobering warning from him as well.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
I only say this because it`s a plunge i`ve nearly made myself and pulled back,,,when reality sinks in.

But you seem aware of this.

It`s an  easy thing to do...convincing ourselves ..we`ve got something great ......you could always look at it as paying for your education,i`m sure it`s a process worth going through...if only to do the next project better.....i`m an optimist  by nature BTW. ;)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:34:19 PM »
I would say the option you choose is going to be based on how often you intend to work on music in the future and what quality you want to get the "demo" to

If this is a "one off" then getting some studio time and some musicians together will give you a good quality result - however, be warned that the quality of "professional" studios can vary greatly

If you intend to pursue the production of music you would be able to get yourself a pretty decent home set-up for the equivalent of a few days sudio time

You will have the learning curve to climb but I think you can get some pretty decent results from a home studio nowadays (I will put my recommendations in your other thread!)

The main advantage is that it is always there when the next idea comes

However, before spending a penny I would stop and have a hard think - is the song REALLY the gem you think it is?

If you want some impartial feedback (ie not relatives, friends or people directly in front of you) then I would suggest posting the song in the review section and we will give you our thoughts

We will then be able to give you some ideas ways you should go about producing a demo
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
I can recommend a rather awesome studio...cough... mine! (shameless plug, but hey!)

www.riverwaystudios.co.uk

I suppose it depends on the location too, no idea where you are!

If you are looking for releasable quality work, you are looking at many, many years of learning at home. Home recording is ACE for writers, a wonderful hobbie, and a great way to demo. But the quality rarely stacks up against studio production. If you are looking to write and record often - to make a portfolio of work - a home set up is great, as Boydie states

If you only have a few songs every so often, you will save money, save an AWFUL lot of time, and get a much better result, speaking and booking with a studio. We are here for a reason!

Ensure you get to speak with the producer beforehand. I offer free consultations, as do many other studios. If you aren't comfortable with your producer you will not get the result you are looking for. Paying for studio time should REDUCE the stress and faff, not cause it!

Just my two cents!
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Koolkat

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 09:23:14 AM »
I have realised that questions such as mine really need to be supported by some form of demo, even if not of professional quality. How can anyone give me any real advice without hearing the product. Over the next couple of weeks I am going to get something recorded to post on here. Hopefully I can get some useful feedback from this. I think I had not done this before because I did not expect to get meaningful feedback for a Christmas song in the middle of Summer!

Kafla

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:29:55 AM »
I can recommend a rather awesome studio...cough... mine! (shameless plug, but hey!)

www.riverwaystudios.co.uk

I suppose it depends on the location too, no idea where you are!

If you are looking for releasable quality work, you are looking at many, many years of learning at home. Home recording is ACE for writers, a wonderful hobbie, and a great way to demo. But the quality rarely stacks up against studio production. If you are looking to write and record often - to make a portfolio of work - a home set up is great, as Boydie states

If you only have a few songs every so often, you will save money, save an AWFUL lot of time, and get a much better result, speaking and booking with a studio. We are here for a reason!

Ensure you get to speak with the producer beforehand. I offer free consultations, as do many other studios. If you aren't comfortable with your producer you will not get the result you are looking for. Paying for studio time should REDUCE the stress and faff, not cause it!

Just my two cents!

Your prices are great James - I was paying more than this 15 years ago - no joke!

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »
@kafla

Equipment is mostly cheaper nowadays. And I am a one man operation which keeps costs down

Producers can only charge so much until they are "known". I am but a child in producer terms... Which basically means my current clients get a pretty good deal!
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 05:56:16 PM »
Hey if it makes you a living,,,,me and i reckon a few others on here would swap professions with you!

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »
@songsthatcry

Not complaining by any means! Its tough in the musical industry right now but I am powering on!
Twitter @JamesNighthawk