Untitled, but finished

• 8 Replies

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« on: September 19, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »
I seem to have squeezed a lot into this and I haven't quite fully reflected on it yet so there's probably meanings in it I haven't picked up on yet (I generally figure out what the song is about after I write it). It is, in a small part, part of me feeling quite stagnant artistically. I've had to force myself to write (literature) and have had little to no inspiration for songwriting. Combine that with a lack of a band until I can find a viable practice space and I've had nothing going on creatively aside from doodles during lectures. The more prominent part of this song is talking about some of the people I've met this year in the LGBTQ community (I'm straight myself). I ended up falling in with a crowd in the community and have heard some startling stories of bullying and massive emotional struggles (and plenty of heartwarming ones too) so some parts of this song reflect on that...

TL;DR, this song is about a lot of things. You can judge what they are.

Well they call me Johnny come lately
But I swear I'm not that late
I'd love to
Argue
But I don't have time to debate

And where was Cinderella?
She already found her prince
I hate to
Blame you
But she's not been the same ever since

(Chorus)
Well it's taken me too long to get here
But I haven't forgotten you all just yet
Come let me tell you my story
Then we'll have a matching set
And if nobody loves me
You've got some explaining to do
But for me the party is over
And it's still Merry Christmas for you

Well I'm all for celebration
But I'm not sure how I should feel
I'm cheering
Steering
But I don't have my hands on the wheel

It's so hard to still be a person
With all these billions of men
I've failed to
Show you
I'm not like any of them

(Chorus)

So I told them they can't call me Johnny
I don't like that name anymore
They charged me
Scarred me
And left me pinned to the floor

Tell me then
Why isn't it real?
When I tell my story with all of this zeal
I got the first line for an absolute steal
And wealth tells me money won't buy things

(Chorus)

Well the penny dropped miles to get here
But I haven't quite got the point just yet
Wait let me have one more guess at it
Thousandth time lucky they said
And if nobody loves me
You've got some explaining to do
'Cause for me the party is over
But you're seeing the cleanup job through
Defective Elector

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 01:54:36 AM »
bump
Defective Elector

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:45:34 AM »
Nice writing Corsair, a tale of heartbreak and unrequited love is how I see it. I really like the phrase 'the penny dropped miles', this might make a nice title. It sort of sums up the fact that the person in the story is finally starting to realise their situation, and so they can begin to move on. Great adaptation of a known metaphor.

Good one :)

travis

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 09:41:31 AM »
I love your pre-write!. "I  generally figure what the song is about after I write it" lol The other day there was a famous TV actor being interviewed about his new book. He more or less said the same thing, *I put all my thoughts down, however good or bad , as somewhere among all that dross there could be a good story"
I'm intrigued with your lyric, my understanding of it was as habitat commented too. Far from being dross by the way,
Best of luck with it when you put it together
TD

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 12:04:54 PM »
Cheers, as always, for the feedback :D
I have a habit of writing songs that come across as love(ish) songs when I don't intend them to be which I'm guessing comes largely from the fact that I use the word love a lot in the non-romantic sense. So yeah, any misinterpretations are really just my own fault there. But then again you guys seem to implying it stands fairly well as a love song too, so I can't say I have any complaints there :P

I'm still at a loss as to what to call it... Which is unusual for me. I do like the suggestion of 'the penny dropped miles' but a part of me feels like that gives away too much (and I also generally don't use lines from the song as the title).
Defective Elector

travis

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 12:49:11 PM »
The Party is Over, maybe? For your title. I think it has to come from your chorus, either in a rewrite or among your present write.
Best of luck with it
Travis

Dutchbeat

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »
very cool lyrics!!!!!!

good you bumped them up, because they are intriguing, interesting, and puzzling

i don't know what the lyrics are about but they work very well

for me, it seems to be about a person (Johnny come lately) who doesn't seem to have much control over what is happening in his life as far as social interactions are concerned, who doesn't seem to fit in, but also doesn't really want to fit in (if he does he is fine with it, if he doesn't it is also ok)

and wonders what the point of everything we are doing out here is

well, that is what i get from these lyrics, but they just look and sound great

(and to Travis, not that it matters, but my last song posted out here was called: the Party is over...we have more of these coincidences on this site, that people are working on songs simultaniously with some words the same, or the title or the subject)

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 12:05:31 PM »
I've just about settled on 'Afterparty' as a title at this point...

Cheers for the feedback DB :D I think that goes to show there's a lot you can take out of this song, which I consider to be a good thing
Defective Elector

titiami

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »
"after party" will be the perfect title, its a title that sells itself prompting people to listen to the song.

well i think this is about a person who knows what he wants in his life but he's pretty confused about himself.