konalavadome

What's your job? What would you like it to be?

• 6 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:26:31 PM »
Inspired in part by a first post on the introductions section about good jobs to have for songwriting, it's made me curious. (I've checked back 10 pages and can't find this subject as far as I can see).

What jobs do we all do?  What do you wish you did?

I read your posts, your opinions and views on mine and others music. Some of you show an admirable, professional working knowledge of music, others simply say what you like and what you don't. Some of what I read leads me to think that you are actually professional musicians, earning money from your craft, be it from production/writing, whatever. Is this the case or are you just the same as me, a normal bloke with a job and a family, squeezing in my hobby wherever I can?

Ok, I'll go first since I'm the one asking.

I work as a geotechnical site supervisor. It sounds better than it is, but it basically involves digging pits and drilling boreholes by hand. Working for the insurance industry I investigate the causes of subsidence on buildings. I get rained on a lot, and regularly hurt my back and skin my knuckles.

As for my ideal job, quite predictably (for a songwriting forum), I wish I could earn money from my writing, a bit like Banks and Wag. I don't want to perform or be famous, that's not for me. I'd just like to be able to do what I enjoy and get paid for it. :)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »
I`m a chef....i hope to start a business that will take me into Europe a bit....i too would like to earn a living making songs....if i could paint ...that would also interest me...

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:43:02 AM »
i'm what's commonly refered to nowadays as a multi trades person  (general builder )
started as a carpenter but now do extensions referbishment etc .
hate it , bored to death with it , if i won the lottery i would put all my tools in my van and push it off the harbour wall  ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 07:12:26 PM »
i'm what's commonly refered to nowadays as a multi trades person  (general builder )
started as a carpenter but now do extensions referbishment etc .
hate it , bored to death with it , if i won the lottery i would put all my tools in my van and push it off the harbour wall  ;D

Hehe, harbour wall... If I win the lotto, as I don't actually own my van, it'll sit there 'til the boss can collect it ;)

Or I might just buy it for fun, so I can torch it hehe...

(not really kids, that's a bad thing to do)

I`m a chef....i hope to start a business that will take me into Europe a bit....i too would like to earn a living making songs....if i could paint ...that would also interest me...

So far then, we could find a building (without subsidence) (I could do that :) ) , get Andy to do the  recording studio fit out, and STC, you can provide the Michelin star refreshments :)

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 02:42:52 AM »
I'm just doing student-level work. Presently I'm in the food and hospitality industry (I clear glasses at a bar) but when I'm 18 in a couple of weeks I'll be taken on as a bartender.

I'd like to have a band that has some success. Even if it only barely brings me enough money to live I'd be happy with it.

If I won the lottery I'd basically pick up all the gear I need to make a basic home recording studio then drop the rest in a bank account to cover the cost of all the hookers and cocaine student loan fees I'll have by the time I graduate.
Defective Elector

The Chemist Tree

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »
I am a video editor.

I do mainly community stuff with youth groups as well as a few corporate things.

I have done a couple of music videos with a grime and drum and bass artist.

I have done a little music production work within these projects but nothing really major.

I would love to just keep doing this work as it is getting harder and harder with all the cuts in the arts in the UK, hence why i moved to France.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »
I manage a number of leisure facilities, swimming pools, gyms and a golf course!

I have a great team, It is great fun and every day is different

I am one of the lucky few that loves my job  ;D

I also play in a covers band that is as busy as we want it to be

We have just bought a "tour bus" so we can get all of the gear in, the 3 of us and still have room for 5 others!

My absolute ideal job would be to write songs for other artists to sing

If I can get a bit of commercial success I would also love to teach songwriting, coach aspiring songwriters and help people put together DEMOS of their material using my (yet to be mastered) production knowledge and the massive studio full of equipment I would treat myself to

One day!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic