Are you true to your accent, or just faux American?

• 43 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: September 15, 2012, 09:50:35 PM »
I keep having to stop myself singing can't as "ka-ent" (ie American accent) as in real life, as an Essex boy, I say "cahnt". I therefore, where I can, try to stay true to my roots. What about you? Does it matter? or should we all just succumb to the American way?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »
It is really funny you should post this now

I had some time this afternoon to record some vocals and had EXACTLY the same problem!

My word was "chance"

I am a Kent boy so my normal pronounciation would be "charnts"

I wanted to stick to my roots, and also had a nice internal rhyme with "heart" lined up, so I consciously used this pronounciation - as opposed to the "mid atlantic" "chaaaance"

However, no matter how many takes I did my "Kent" way just did not sit right within the track

I even kept takes of both pronounciations so I could make the final decision with fresh ears

I have just made the decision and the "Mid Atlantic" pronounciation won

I feel a little dirty but it just seems to fit
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 10:44:29 PM »
It is really funny you should post this now

I had some time this afternoon to record some vocals and had EXACTLY the same problem!

My word was "chance"

I am a Kent boy so my normal pronounciation would be "charnts"

I wanted to stick to my roots, and also had a nice internal rhyme with "heart" lined up, so I consciously used this pronounciation - as opposed to the "mid atlantic" "chaaaance"

However, no matter how many takes I did my "Kent" way just did not sit right within the track

I even kept takes of both pronounciations so I could make the final decision with fresh ears

I have just made the decision and the "Mid Atlantic" pronounciation won

I feel a little dirty but it just seems to fit

I feel your pain ;)

What to do? Why is it that the American way sounds better sometimes?, too much sticking to your roots and you risk sounding a bit 'Chas and Dave' or 'Proclaimers' but, that said, why not? At least it's an identity...

A tricky one...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:50:02 PM by habiTat »

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 11:06:05 PM »
Another thought on this...

By ignoring your regional accent are you subconciously aiming your material at a mass market?

If you sing everything in a regional accent, are you automatically reducing your chances of commercial success?

Almost every commercial act given airtime (in the UK at least) sings with an American accent, be they British, Swedish, or South American etc. Only a very small minority don't succumb to this.

Is Americanification the best route to success? ( p.s. I know that's not really a word ;) )

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:07:01 PM »
I think you have hit the nail on the head there

I am trying to write for others to record my songs - so I need them to sound as much like existing stuff as possible - so I have no issue conforming to this norm (regardless of how annoying it is)

However, if you are trying to sell "you" as well as the music then I do agree that sticking to your roots can be a selling point
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 11:51:43 PM »
Sing with emotion - feck the accent

It all works as long as you can hear your heart break   :o

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »
If I'm singing a soul ballad I'll probably naturally go mid-Atlantic, but also if I'm singing folk, I'll probably naturally go back to traditional UK styles.

There are exceptions like Biffy Cliro that can sing in their local accent and get away with it. But I suppose even Gerry and the Pacemakers were singing in Scouse with shades of Americana.

If you have a definite style you're going for then stick with it. Otherwise, whatever suits the song goes.
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 09:17:25 PM »
Oh god, Biffy Clyro, oh how I hate Biffy Clyro...

Anyway, The Fratellis and Glasvegas also sing in their native Scottish (I do suspect Glasvegas exaggerate a bit) so you have more options then just UK or USA. For a pop artist example look at Pitbull, he sings with a very noticeable Latin American accent (he's Brazilian I believe).

In New Zealand and Australia the accents are quite unflattering for singing so most will sing like an American (unintentionally though, if you asked them to imitate one in conversation it'd sound like a redneck being strangled by his own intestines). Then again the Maori and Polynesian singers have a very noticeable sound to their voices when singing. It's not enough to constitute an accent but it's definitely a way of identifying them and makes them obviously non-american.
Defective Elector

The Chemist Tree

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 02:02:04 PM »
At the end of the day the voice is an instrument. It is capable of making many different sounds. I think that if the song or even just a word sounds better in one accent than it does another, then you should just go with what suits the song.

Only singing in one accent is just like only playing open chords on a guitar and refusing to play barre chords, you are putting limitations on yourself.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 01:24:25 AM »
Only singing in one accent is just like only playing open chords on a guitar and refusing to play barre chords, you are putting limitations on yourself.

I have to disagree with this. Only singing in one accent is like using a guitar, switching between accents is like switching between a guitar, a sitar, a harp, a violin and a ukelele. It gives your band (or you if you're a solo artist) so much less definition and you'd actually end up looking quite silly.

The voice is just like an instrument, but it's a very unique instrument and probably shouldn't be compared to instruments when discussing accent, inflection and pronunciation.
Defective Elector

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 07:35:19 PM »
I just feel that where you can, especially if you are writing songs for an album, or to perform as a live set, they should ideally be consistent. To have one song sung all Proclaimers style, followed by a bon jovi-esque american number may just seem silly. Whats wrong with deciding what your identity is, then, where possible, sticking to it? I try where I can to sing my songs in as 'english' a way as I can, hopefully without sounding naff. I am guilty of waivering from time to time, if the song seems to need a bit of a mainstream sound.

I've pretty much accepted that my style of music, at my standard and ability, will never be something that the masses will buy so I just try to stay true to my roots. There are millions of artists the world over who sing with an american accent, my aim is to be myself. :)

Jukentins

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 01:24:09 AM »
Just to clear something up... I'm Brazilian, Pittbull isn't Brazilian, he's American but has a Cuban heritage. I know that many people think we speak Spanish here in Brazil, but no, we speak Portuguese. Off-topic, but anyway, carry on with the debate.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »
all we are trying to do is not sound too Dutch  ;D

i guess we are imitating what we hear in films, most of which (over here) are American

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 02:25:20 PM »
:D haha, sounds familiar
Trying hard not to let the ugly German accent shine through ;)

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 08:43:23 PM »
:D haha, sounds familiar
Trying hard not to let the ugly German accent shine through ;)

It's your accent that sets you apart though Michael, don't dilute it too much  :)