konalavadome

"THE NEW OXYGEN" - a 'rock opera'

• 18 Replies

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« on: September 06, 2012, 10:15:32 PM »
kind of a demo/prototype for a 'rock opera'...i have plans to add tenor/soprano/female vox. the somewhat lachrymose intro is loosely inspired by Chopin's Prelude In Cminor and Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, where i also made loops out of my [arpeggios] piano parts, reversed them and put through a filter, reattaching underneath the notes at various thresholds of audibility for a 'phantom' effect. middle is more at alternative rock; bridge and outro are reminiscent of psychedelia circa George Martin/Beatles, and trails out with those inverted reverse piano arpeggios. guitars are tuned to an Esus2/add9 chord [E,B,E,F#,B,E]. piano is an antique Cable-Nelson, older than my parents, that i refurbished...has a unique soundboard. lyrically/thematically, song is more or less about a heavily medicated chap who becomes schizophrenic, and while listening to the 'radio' he realizes he's actually listening to voices inside his head, and is now forever a pawn controlled by the media and pharmaceutical companies.

The New Oxygen (a rock opera)
© 2009-12 MRI / Words & Music by Daren Thomas Turner

Daren Thomas Turner: piano, guitars, vocals, synths, loops
Alan Cruz: drums
Daniel Denial: bass

-------------------------------------------------------
the whole thing started when i woke up late one day
a man came on the radio and said these words i say
he said "son, can you believe the voices in your head?
it's easy
it's easy"

"you are a frequency and not a state of mind"
these are the sentences repeated every time
i drive down and visit all my local pharmacies
it's easy.
it's easy.

i can not think; i can not breathe-- this air is thin!
i even heard it on the News "There Is New Oxygen!
Down Way Beneath The Covers You Can Breathe-
It's Easy.
It's Easy."

i am the only thing that i will ever be;
i am the only one who has to sleep with me.
therefore, down way beneath the trampling of feet
it's easy.
it's easy.

and then it ended so much faster than before
i didn't realize that the radio was off
"settle down," i heard them say, "or cry yourself to sleep...
we're easy...
we're easy..."

-------------------------------------------------------

http://soundcloud.com/abeautifulvirus/the-new-oxygen-a-rock-opera

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:01:35 PM »
Thats a lot to comment on with just one listen...but i guess this just a preview ,so say no more.But it`s interesting.. ;)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 02:11:09 AM »
Hiya :)
I thought it was wicked. There's a lot in there and it all works.
Very well put together. I love those chords.
Really cool  ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Declan

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:06:36 PM »
I love the ambition in this. It's great that music with this much scope can be constructed without the need of a major label - but, on the other hand, it's aggravating that such music remains unheard by the public.

Although I like the intro, and can appreciate its thematic place in the song, the tune really comes alive for me with the entry of the vocals. Really good dynamics, all of it is well played, and I like the fact that you've constructed a lyric based on proper and considered subject matter, not just any old thing coming into your head.

The middle part would be storming in a live setting, I imagine. Yes, good work, say I.

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 03:08:03 PM »
hey BV,

I really think you are at the professional stage in every department.

Firstly I am going to mention something that has nothing to do with the songwriting - ha ha - but sometimes Your vocals freak me out a bit - I think your singing is bang on and I would love to hear your voice clearer - especially in this kind of epic

Unbelievable  piano playing and progressions at the start

The drums and instrumentation at the 3 minute mark are breathtaking but not as much as the guitars at 5 - like a swirling posse of vultures - it's very epic

The last minue or so is like a post work out warm down - you really have went through all emotions on this - did not feel like 8 minutes at all

Lyrically I cannot fault it - ambitious from the start

I cannot criticism the writing , playing , recording in an way - faultless and a joy to listen to

Why are you not famous man???? ???

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:04:58 AM »
Flippin' 'eck the standard of music on this site is excellent!

I really like this, reminds me of pink floyd, I could easily listen to a whole album of this. Its the sort of music that takes you on a journey, love the intro section and the way it jumps into the higher tempo rockier bit. It sounds great on headphones.

I agree with previous posts, why are you not famous??

I wish I had the time, patience, ability, equipment, talent and skill to create a song like this...

The Chemist Tree

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 10:11:36 AM »
I love the reversed sounds that you have mixed in with the piano at the start. I hear the Chopin and Beethoven influences, and, why not?

The big reversed piano is great before the rock part drops. The toms here sound big. The beat is reminiscent of the baggy sound, and i love that period.

The synths are also a nice touch in there, they remind me a bit of the Moody Blues's Mellotron, again something i love.

The lead guitar has a bit of Floyd about it, again, something i love (You seem to combine all my tastes into one).

I also love the wind down at the end, very Blue Jay Way by the Beatles with the reversed sounds.

Your best so far i think.

Nice work.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 10:25:59 AM »
Hey,
really quite pro sounding, although the reversing/phasing effects on the piano were not quite subtle enough IMO.

For the songwriting, I feel that the piano section is quite weak..it is basically those tunes you mentioned, although not quite as good IMO. It doesn't add anything different to them.

The guitar section is much better - yeah same chords, but presented much differently & original light and the addition of a band adds more interest to some strummed chords.

I like the tight vocals and harmonies and guitar solo is very cool. The overdriven vocal coming in the left speaker is a bit over done IMO.

production wise, I think that all the chorus, phasing and reversing effects are too in-your-face and not subtle enough and they actually produce phase issues in some places...

I reckon the plans for extra vocals/female vox would work well :)

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 10:46:21 PM »
hey thanks everyone for the detailed feedback ;) suffice to say this was quite a recording project indeed ;p over 38 tracks. 12 on drums alone as i mic'd all of Alan's toms w/ preamps on each.

cool deal.  cheers :)

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 12:28:33 AM »
epic piano work!  i need another drink and another listen! pretty mental when that guitar kicks in around five minutes, feels like the aliens have landed haha pretty spooky vocals from then on it then the greatest band ever has come to the rescue a bit of the beatles pychadelia!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 12:24:12 PM »
then the greatest band ever has come to the rescue a bit of the beatles pychadelia!

yep :)

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 02:40:03 PM »
epic song  8)
your a talented guy mr virus, love it when the the vocals kick in ,not a big piano fan so i'm going to have to have a few more listens , the quality is there !! 
you're a proper musician ,im jealous......unlike me , just doing what i can with my limited knowledge . ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 11:35:48 PM »
The piano motif is very nice, if very reminiscent of the influences. I didn't take to the reversed piano parts in close proximity. It wasn't comfortable listening, perhaps this is the plan but I kinda wanted that section to be cleaner and more "classical" sounding.

I am with Ramshackles on the production. You like to work things, but everything I have heard from you is overworked for my liking. Rarely do sounds feel organic, everything is effected. Mixes are so dense as to be near impenetrable. Perhaps I am simply not the target for your style

It makes it trickier for me to focus on the writing underneath. When I do break through, for instance on the main vocal section after the track enters "for real", I enjoy it... if still fishing for it beneath three layers and vocal fuzz!!

I don't ever like to work to hear the underlying music through a production. But again, probably a stylistic issue.

You clearly dedicate huge amounts of blood sweat and passion to your work. This, over everything else, is naturally very commendable. Passion is key!! :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 04:33:10 PM »
hey thanks Andy & James for feedback. much appreciated! 

& yes, this is quite 'production happy' ;p guilty as charged

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »
Another great track....The feature of your writing that impresses me most, in all your songs, is the energy and enthusiasm that you are able to convey in your music. Just love the line ' you're a frequency not a state of mind', sums up one of my kids perfectly ;D ;D. You are obviously a very talented musician but more important to me is that you are a great artist. Always experimenting with new ideas. Like the way you use different tunings and instruments, creating beautiful textures and imagery in your songs. I even think that some of your posts are worthy of a place in the lyrics forum :D  You are another great talent here, that makes me feel humble and honoured to be part of the same forum.......did I really just say that :D  Love your work mate, look forward to the next one....thanks
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran