konalavadome

Three word rule

• 3 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:14:07 PM »
I've started writing a song based on a rule of three words per line, I've found that its really testing my vocabulary and skill, has anyone else tried something like this?

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 11:15:29 PM »
No but i will give it a go...sounds interesting!

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:29:01 AM »
Just posted it in 'Lyrics'. Once I started it, I couldn't stop 'til it was finished :)

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 05:09:28 PM »
Not everyone likes to use rhyming in their writing but it can be a real test of skill to choose a rhyme that captures exactly what you are trying to communicate.  It's easy to choose a rhyme that doesn't capture your meaning exactly but sounds ok.  The challenge for me, is to be totally happy with every aspect of what I have written.  I often impose strict rules about the number of syllables that I use in my writing (in fact, I do so every time I write).  I've often heard people praise guitar players in conversation saying things like "he doesn't waste a single note". I try to apply the same approach to writing lyrics.  They have to say exactly what is on my mind, often set to a strict number of syllables (I'll match the syllables of verse 1 to the syllables of verse 2 etc)  and I often impose a strict rhyming scheme.  Some might say that there is no need to do this and for them that works. For me, the above really sharpens your writing skills.  :)  I think that your three words per line approach will do exactly the same!