Song Structure

• 11 Replies

anthonyceseri

• Busker
    • Success For Your Songs
« on: September 03, 2012, 02:07:07 AM »
I've been thinking about song structure lately and the different roles of the sections within a song. I came up with this and wanted to get your thoughts...

Verse
Lyrically, the verses of your song will move your story forward. The chorus or refrain is likely to have the same words each time, so the verse is your chance to keep your ideas moving along.

Chorus
Think of your chorus as the big idea for what your song’s all about. That’s partly why your title is most likely to show up in your chorus. Your title also sums up what the song’s about. Melodically, the chorus will be the catchiest part of your song. This is what people will have stuck in their head long after your song is over. That’s another reason it’s good to have your title in the chorus. When people get your chorus stuck in their head, they’ll easily know what your song is called and can find it later when they want to hear it again.

Pre-Chorus
The pre-chorus is an add-on before the chorus. It usually repeats the same lyrics each time, the same way a chorus does. Musically, a lot of times it creates a nice build up to what’s coming in the chorus.

Bridge
The bridge is a departure from what we’ve heard in a song, previously. This goes for both the lyrics and the music. Lyrically it’s an opportunity for a new perspective. Musically, it’s a chance to offer the listener something they haven’t heard before to keep the song interesting.

Refrain
In the AABA, or AAA structures, the refrain is the line that draws all the attention in your verses. It’s usually at the beginning or end of each verse and is often the title of the song.

Hook
The hook doesn’t necessarily refer to a specific section of a song, except to say it’s the catchiest part of a song. Most of the time, it will be your chorus, if your song has one. If your song doesn’t have a chorus your hook will most likely be your refrain. As hit songwriter, Clay Drayton, says “A fish knows the hook… Once it’s in you, it’s hard to get it out.”

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 09:46:34 AM »
That is a nice little little summary

The only thing I would add at this level is this:

Pre-chorus (also known as the climb)

This section should "set up" the chorus both musically and lyrically

Musically the chords and melody should build a little tension/momentumn before the "release" of the chorus

Think climbing that section of rollercoaster before the big drop!

Lyrically the climb should be setting up the chorus to hammer home the message/concept of the song

A good trick is to imagine the following types of words inbetween the last line of your climb and first line of your chorus: so, because, and now, etc.

This will help you "set up" the all important chorus
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

anthonyceseri

• Busker
    • Success For Your Songs
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:58:10 PM »
That is a nice little little summary

The only thing I would add at this level is this:

Pre-chorus (also known as the climb)

This section should "set up" the chorus both musically and lyrically

Musically the chords and melody should build a little tension/momentumn before the "release" of the chorus

Think climbing that section of rollercoaster before the big drop!

Lyrically the climb should be setting up the chorus to hammer home the message/concept of the song

A good trick is to imagine the following types of words inbetween the last line of your climb and first line of your chorus: so, because, and now, etc.

This will help you "set up" the all important chorus

oohhhhh... great stuff, Boydie - Thanks!

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 06:11:39 AM »
I'll pitch in a few:

Breakdown:

Generally a breakdown is slightly slower (sometimes considerably slower) in tempo to the rest of the song and will often consist of 'chugging' (palm-muted, open string strumming) and heavy use of the kick drum (often with double kicks).

Drop:

More common in electronic music or other styles that utilise electronics in whatever manner. The drop will shift the song from a lighter, higher section to a loud, heavy section. Different to a breakdown in that it is generally the same tempo and is more diverse in instrumentation.

Switch:

A switch is a point where the music moves from a quiet, calm, slow section to a loud, fast-paced section. A switch can also occur after a breakdown as a way of transitioning back into the original tempo, though generally the change brought about in a switch is more dramatic than just a move out of a breakdown.
Defective Elector

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:46:20 PM »
I dont really like thinking of songs in such rigid structures as these. A song is a flowing, organic thing. It can usually be split into different sections but I wouldn't ever constrain myself by saying it has to have this and this, and the purpose of this and this is this...

But here is a challenge for you. I'm going to dig up an old song (well...not sooo old) of mine and maybe you can tell me what it's structure is?

3 sections? Or 4? And what are these sections? Verse Break Verse? Verse Solo Chorus Outro? Or is there more sections?
Maybe it is
Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Solo Verse 2 Outro?

I know what it is in my head, but other people have other ideas.

My idea of song structure is this. Each song has a number of sections. These may or may not be repeated at different points. Their purpose is all the same; To move the song along and take it toward where you want it to go :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:50:38 PM by Ramshackles »

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »
I'm with the Shackles of Ram on this one. Even though many of my songs contain these sections, I don't think we should write in such a way that we're consciously trying to fulfil them.

Free yourself, and see what happens when you break the rules. Laura Marling does this pretty well on her 3rd album, and I'm quite fond of going off on one myself from time to time.

A song is a journey, not a structure.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 01:41:27 PM »
I was taking this more as a 'here's what these bits normally do and what the consist of', not as 'you should use these in this way and viola you have a song'
Defective Elector

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
I agree CORSAIR

I think it is important to learn the "conventional" approach so that when you do "break the rules" you are doing so for effect
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

anthonyceseri

• Busker
    • Success For Your Songs
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 02:50:38 AM »
I'll pitch in a few:

Breakdown:

Generally a breakdown is slightly slower (sometimes considerably slower) in tempo to the rest of the song and will often consist of 'chugging' (palm-muted, open string strumming) and heavy use of the kick drum (often with double kicks).

Drop:

More common in electronic music or other styles that utilise electronics in whatever manner. The drop will shift the song from a lighter, higher section to a loud, heavy section. Different to a breakdown in that it is generally the same tempo and is more diverse in instrumentation.

Switch:

A switch is a point where the music moves from a quiet, calm, slow section to a loud, fast-paced section. A switch can also occur after a breakdown as a way of transitioning back into the original tempo, though generally the change brought about in a switch is more dramatic than just a move out of a breakdown.

Oh, good adds - Thanks!

anthonyceseri

• Busker
    • Success For Your Songs
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 02:52:31 AM »
I was taking this more as a 'here's what these bits normally do and what the consist of', not as 'you should use these in this way and viola you have a song'

Right - I mean no matter how you write a song, you're typically going to be able to label the different parts of it as something...

anthonyceseri

• Busker
    • Success For Your Songs
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 02:53:12 AM »
I agree CORSAIR

I think it is important to learn the "conventional" approach so that when you do "break the rules" you are doing so for effect

Yeah - I think that's dead on...

anthonyceseri

• Busker
    • Success For Your Songs
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 02:59:50 AM »
I dont really like thinking of songs in such rigid structures as these. A song is a flowing, organic thing. It can usually be split into different sections but I wouldn't ever constrain myself by saying it has to have this and this, and the purpose of this and this is this...

But here is a challenge for you. I'm going to dig up an old song (well...not sooo old) of mine and maybe you can tell me what it's structure is?

3 sections? Or 4? And what are these sections? Verse Break Verse? Verse Solo Chorus Outro? Or is there more sections?
Maybe it is
Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Solo Verse 2 Outro?

I know what it is in my head, but other people have other ideas.

My idea of song structure is this. Each song has a number of sections. These may or may not be repeated at different points. Their purpose is all the same; To move the song along and take it toward where you want it to go :)

This is a tough one. I'd say this song reads to me like this:

Verse with "would you lay with me" as chorus / extended refrain
Verse 2 with "would you lay with me" as chorus / extended refrain
Instrumental Break
Outro (I want to call it a bridge, but it ends on this section, so I hear it as an outro instead - plus it's kind of long for a bridge)