Best way to review a song?

• 64 Replies

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »
Carl makes great points and agree with them.
I've just started making some proper reviews again after a few weeks/months of being out of it and I just wanted to throw something up that I noticed a bit.

I try to make my reviews constructive. When I dont like a bit of songwriting or a certain part, I try to say why. What I notice is that when I make comments like this about songwriting, a lot of the time people will go on the defensive...some people just don't want to be told that something doesn't work.

I know it is not true for all and especially not some of the older members who can take everything on the chin and appreciate some criticism. But having just 1 or 2 people backfire like that affects you as a reviewer. It makes you less willing to be so 'honest' and write some inane comment about the song.

People don't get so uptight about 'technical' comments...can this be a reason why we/I sometimes wrongly slip into concentrating on this?

There are people who post songs and are after a pat on the back... I just wish they would write in their thread that they want that! Then I would know when I should just ignore a song :D

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2012, 02:14:23 AM »
Good point also Ram. There are some who take critisism better than others   :)
Personally I'm thankful for mixing/technical advice as well as all other critisisms.
It's helped me to improve on that side of things.

Kaf - That's all I've ever been  ::)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Kafla

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2012, 05:25:48 PM »
Good point also Ram. There are some who take critisism better than others   :)
Personally I'm thankful for mixing/technical advice as well as all other critisisms.
It's helped me to improve on that side of things.

Kaf - That's all I've ever been  ::)

Ha ha Schavu - you are a top man!

And I agree 100% RS

Another manauovere I dislike it the six song shuffle comeback - let me explain - you have a song you want reviewed but haven't been on for a while so you half heartedly review 6 songs then post yours  :-\

Or the old - I haven't got time just now go review other songs ( but I have time to post my song  ???) but promise to come back next Julaugust and review some songs  :-*

I am being light hearted here before I get lynched  :o

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »
It's maybe also worth pointing out that reviewing isn't the only form of contributing to the forum. I've come on here a few times and felt I had nothing useful to add in the reviews, so I've tried to help on guitar or recording questions.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Kafla

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2012, 07:46:03 PM »
Totally agree with that estreet

And I also think collaborations are a big part as well - you have  kindly layed some neat guitar parts done for me

I have worked on many songs with members and and will continue to do so

But guys like Boydie, Dutchbeat and Paul really embody the spirit of the forum with the joint outputs !
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 07:57:51 PM by Kafla »