konalavadome

"THEME FROM YOUR FACE" {heavy alt rock in 6/8 time sig}

• 13 Replies

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« on: August 30, 2012, 04:47:30 PM »
i'm using a glass bottle as a 'slide' played on a Fender Jaguar w/ delay for the somewhat haunting slide guitar texturing. song is in 6/8 time sig, subdivided 12/16 by the heavy guitar triplets. guitars tuned low to open C (C,G,C,G,C,E)

http://soundcloud.com/abeautifulvirus/theme-from-your-face

Theme From Your Face (demo)
© 2009-2012 MRI / Words & Music by Daren Thomas Turner

-------------------------------------------
I used to live in the meadow
Making my trips to the ghetto
Getting my drinks from the fountain
Getting my stuff from the mountain
Wearing the clothes of a beggar
Wearing my shoes out of leather
Walking too close to the distance
Hearing the theme from your face

Now I remember everything
Oh I can see you now
Oh I can feel you now

I used to live in a hellhole
Pain was just part of the threshold
Morning was part of the sickness
Waking up part of the business
Hide behind all of the bushes
When I knew you would come looking
Walking too close to my distance
Screaming the theme from your face

Oh I can see you now
Oh I can feel you now

-------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 04:54:09 PM by ABeautifulVirus »

Kafla

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 06:44:37 PM »
Ah a nice gentle mellow ballad  :o

The sound you get is awesome - absolutely incredible - there must be a few thousand of you in that band, and everything is at full belt without any clipping

It's just mega - seriously   ;D

The lyrics are very poetic and I totally love them

A stunning piece of music , stunning  :D

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:16:01 PM »
I listen to Hawkwind quite often,quite loud..and this reminds me of them when their on one..just letting go ..which i like....the lyrics don`t really add up..but who cares!..prefer the vocal sound on the chorus, to that death metal(or whatever it`s called these days) sound in the verses... personal preference...ROCK ON, ;)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 08:06:44 PM »
Enjoyed this a lot!  ;D

The repeating bass riff wasn't my cup of tea and is a bit much - it was great in the intro but then seemed to muddy things up a bit - although I appreciate that this is part & parcel of the genre

The guitars are lovely and "thick" and I lOVE that slide sound

Vocals sound great

The cymbals and hats are a bit "thin" and "zingy" to my ears - perhaps some EQing (or reducing the exisitng EQ) will help tame them a bit

The rest of the drums sound ace though - I would even like them up a little more (apart from the hi-hat)

Overall though a good, and extremely well played, track

Great stuff!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:28:27 PM »
i absoluetley love this... my goodness man how do you get a sound like that at home its awesome...im hearing billy corgan in there again & that is just fine with me
 the lyrics didnt read very well but sounded great when you sung them & i loved the title
wish i had a fender jaguar....i wouldnt play it id just look at it all day
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 12:32:57 AM »
total knockout
& the vocals are brilliant,
great pace to it & something beatley about it, vocals got that lennonharrison thing going in a truly great way..mix gets a little cloudy to me in places, whack and depth of the drums seems to get lost in places but great changes,
fine work chaps..great stuff
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 07:57:41 AM »
Sound is amazing which you seem to achieve with every track you post. This is not the sort of track I would normally listen to but there's no denying the quality.

The lyrics are totally off the wall but work in the context of the song.

I'd like more of the lead guitar, please which sounded awesome.

Great stuff.

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »
A very powerful song that rolls on and on.  You've created an immense wall of sound.  I find it hard to comment on your music as it is so different to the kind of music that I usually listen to.  However, I can relate to the tremendous energy and professionalism of the production and it is easy for me to appreciate that in a live setting, this would really stir up the audience.

Well done

Paul

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 10:15:34 PM »
hey thanks everyone for the feedback. a lot going on in this mix suffice to say ;p

& yeah the lyrics would probably make more sense if i told the wild story behind them, but that would take all the fun out of the abstract ambiguity lol. sometimes not making sense is the best way to be clear :)

The Chemist Tree

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 09:11:09 PM »
BIG sounding guitars here. Absolutely superb overall sound you have ABV. I'm all for changing time signatures.

I love the change part a lot too. My favourite bit has to be the rising distorted guitar sound, it makes me feel like i have my head stuck out of a car window travelling 100 mph through a tunnel.

Do you record all live instruments btw or do you use VI's (eg BFD for the drums?)

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 12:12:36 PM »
BIG sounding guitars here. Absolutely superb overall sound you have ABV. I'm all for changing time signatures.

I love the change part a lot too. My favourite bit has to be the rising distorted guitar sound, it makes me feel like i have my head stuck out of a car window travelling 100 mph through a tunnel.

Do you record all live instruments btw or do you use VI's (eg BFD for the drums?)

right on man. thanks. i like to record live instruments as much as possible. for the guitars on this i'm playing Jaguars through a Mesa Boogie dual recto head w/ 4x12 cab, with rectifier set on tubes and gain setting on 'modern' - i also have a library that i made of all of Alan and Rob's (the two MRI drummers over past 7 years) hits, which on this track i used in combo with {apple} live drum loops, since they both live a distance away from me now.  i don't really like virtual drums.

Kafla

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 12:30:52 PM »

right on man. thanks. i like to record live instruments as much as possible. for the guitars on this i'm playing Jaguars through a Mesa Boogie dual recto head w/ 4x12 cab, with rectifier set on tubes and gain setting on 'modern' - i also have a library that i made of all of Alan and Rob's (the two MRI drummers over past 7 years) hits, which on this track i used in combo with {apple} live drum loops, since they both live a distance away from me now.  i don't really like virtual drums.

It bloody rocks man ;D

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 02:23:32 PM »
Really like this. I'm a sucker for the odder time sigs and I love the sound. Alice in Chains but with a slightly more cheerful tone!  ;D Especially in the chorus.

I personally liked the looping nature of the Bass. Gave the song a ominous oncoming menace under the wash of the guitars. A heavier drum sound possibly, but otherwise great.  :)

I'd just be careful sticking too close to the AIC vocal styling though. It is very distinctive.  8)
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Dutchbeat

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »
Heavy...hypnotic song

with a great drum line!

It is a bit overpowering for me, but that is personal taste (trying to avoid saying something about what cups of tea i drink)

Virus, you really know how to write original, powerful songs