konalavadome

"THE LOTUS EATERS" (live studio track w/ minimal production)

• 22 Replies

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 02:49:13 AM »
I really loved this. Original feel great vibe. Would love to hear the guitars right up - and the drums too - i could see the mosh pit really getting into this - hypnotic and ambitious - but a really great song. I rarely say this - but frankly you could play this for an hour and I think the whole thing could get right out of control. Look forward to hearing more from you. BTB

hey thanks BTB- indeed we would have a pit going in the 2nd part all the time. a lot of our songs are moshable, and other more shoe-gazy lol - this kinda combines both elements ;p

I really, really, really , really like this ;D

I wouldn't produce it any other way , it needs that rough , lo fi groovy approach

The vocals are very hypnotic, the drums are excellent

The guitar is well cool and then it really kicks in

Don't know what else to say other than I love it!

hey thanks Kafla- i have to agree w/ you as there is something raw and honest about this somewhat sloppy performance that i don't want to lose.  it has a lot of our stage attitude and presentation, and Dan and Rob are better players when they don't have to sing/play simultaneously, so the delivery is better albeit missing the vocal harmonies, which i sing myself in the studio anyway but left them out here to keep the 'rawness'.

cool.  :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »
I REALLY liked this

The "rawness" really does add to the track so I would be careful with any tidying up

I would still love to see some footage of guys actually performing live on stage - I think this would sound even better!

I did "get" the slightly off key vocals and I thought this actually worked really well for the ooening sections of the track

However, I think if you could add a little contrast with a "pitch perfect" section (eg a chorus) with a bit more energy in the vocal, perhaps with some harmony, it would improve the track and emphasize the hypnotic quality of the "off key" sections

Excellent job though - I wanna see you guys live!!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »
you colonial chaps certainly know which end of a guitar to blow into..
love the weird key vocal and the feel of the track, neat picking riff
and then the changes, strobelights black and white stage
nasa guitar sound
sounds like neil armstrong talking from space, not sure what hes saying but creates its own dialog
excellent track

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 09:25:22 PM »
I REALLY liked this

The "rawness" really does add to the track so I would be careful with any tidying up

I would still love to see some footage of guys actually performing live on stage - I think this would sound even better!

I did "get" the slightly off key vocals and I thought this actually worked really well for the ooening sections of the track

However, I think if you could add a little contrast with a "pitch perfect" section (eg a chorus) with a bit more energy in the vocal, perhaps with some harmony, it would improve the track and emphasize the hypnotic quality of the "off key" sections

Excellent job though - I wanna see you guys live!!!!

hey cool thanks! :) this was quite the exercise in bi-tonality indeed lol - but as i said in OP, it gave it the flavor needed.  appreciate the comments.  i'll post some videos later w/ some live footage too. we're rather crazy onstage ;p

you colonial chaps certainly know which end of a guitar to blow into..
love the weird key vocal and the feel of the track, neat picking riff
and then the changes, strobelights black and white stage
nasa guitar sound
sounds like neil armstrong talking from space, not sure what hes saying but creates its own dialog
excellent track

lol we're a weird lot across the pond here ;p - yea the recorded phone conversations Dan made were recorded on crappy handhelds so i tried to clean them up to best of my ability; i think they still get point across & act as a nice liaison between the heavier parts.  thanks bro

Loved this. Real laid back vibe. Tiny bit off key in places which only makes it sound cooler.

cool T.O.M. - much gratitude for the listen :)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »
hey i loved this the lyrics were great & i love everything smashing pumpkinsy
its funny i listened to 3 verses & thought shame this isnt going anywhere ...& then suddenly it did & it was brilliant...the phone snippets were a great idea but what kind of person records phone convesations? do you get people to phone you at your gigs so you can do this live? ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 12:24:54 AM »
hey i loved this the lyrics were great & i love everything smashing pumpkinsy
its funny i listened to 3 verses & thought shame this isnt going anywhere ...& then suddenly it did & it was brilliant...the phone snippets were a great idea but what kind of person records phone convesations? do you get people to phone you at your gigs so you can do this live? ;D

lol - Dan (our bass player) is quite the odd one; i think he has a whole library of surreptitiously recorded conversations ;p -

thanks!

-Daren

Dutchbeat

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 04:38:31 PM »
Hi Virus, catchy tune again

great atmosphere, weird but extremely effective

i love it, and yes this will do it at a festival!!!!!!

spoken words, i don't know for sure, should kick in a little later, i think

and the phone....don't

for the rest: YES!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)