Cubase VST delay

• 6 Replies

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« on: August 03, 2012, 08:24:46 AM »
Hi guys

Finally got my Cubase up and running, so I decided to try it out yesterday. I recorded some bass line with midi and then wanted to play some drums on top of it.
My set up is Yamaha Keyboard -(midi)- Tascam US-122 interface -(USB)- Toshiba laptop (Windows Vista)
The problem is that when I play a note, it takes over a second untill I hear it in my headphones, so I can't really play on top of my other track...
Do you have the same problem? Do you know how to fix it? Or how do you do it?

Greetings
SD
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 06:00:34 PM »
Welcome to the steep learning curve (mountain!) that is DAW recording

What you are experiencing is "latency"

You need to find in your settings something called "buffer size"

There should be a slider of some type that allows you to reduce latency - when yoh go too far you will probably notice crackles / pops / glitches etc.

Your drivers should be ASIO for best performance

I am not sure where all the settings are in cubase but hopefully this will help you start looking...
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 09:19:34 PM »
I have cubase and he's correct,  but I found the best answers
In detail on youtube. For just about all you need to know.
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Dutchbeat

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 12:36:08 PM »
yes, that is indeed "latency" and it does kill all the fun music making (and listening) can offer

i hope the buffer size tip from Boydie will help, because if the problem is the speed of your processor in your computer (for DAW recording you need a fast computer) you may have a bigger problem (i.e., that you need a faster computer)

If you bought your Cubase and / or your Tascam interface at a store, you may consider taking all your gear to the store and let them look at it (i mean, sometimes you need someone with experience to set you up, to just get going...)

Good luck, Stephanie

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 03:08:57 AM »
Sigh, I remember when a mac 10 years ago with hardware samplers was capable of some fairly decent stuff and latency STILL gives us hell!

Tascam drivers are actually terrible. I have a US-800 and there are many things they could improve... Check the latency on the applet in the taskbar. If you're having difficulty with high CPU load after lowering the buffer size, you can make it easier by making the latency buffer as large as you can (It shouldn't be noticably different).

If you can, upgrade to Windows 7 too. Just because.

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 10:55:28 AM »
I have a lexicon interface, on that you have 2 options
To listen  as you go, one is moniter which plays through the pc,
the other is straight through the lexicon, listening in monitor mode
is crappy, full of latency , the other way is good but without any effects you may put on , the effects are still on there but you don't here them in this mode.
When you finish recording you can then play it back in all its glory.
Hopefully your unit has the same , if so panic over.
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Redster

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 05:21:15 PM »
Make sure you have your driver set to an ASIO driver.

Boydie is right about the latency, and yes you reduce latency by reducing buffer size. This is usually done within your audio interface settings. Sometimes you can do it in software, but its really best to do it in the hardware control panel as it will introduce instability a lot of the time (CRASH!). A workable latency stems from a buffer size of about 256 samples and no higher. If you drop to this level and your start getting audio drop outs, cracks and pops, you will need to up it, or check for a newer driver version.

A word about monitoring. There are two types:

Direct monitoring. This is where you monitor your audio directly through your interface. So your audio goes into your interface and is - well the best way to think about it is that it is "duplicated". One version is sent to your software where it is recorded and another is sent to your output for monitoring.

Indirect Monitoring. This is where the audio signal goes into your interface, is converted to digital, is passed to your software where it records, is then passed through any effects and then to your output. This introduces all sorts of time delays before it hits the headphones, as it needs to be processed by the CPU through the software and this makes it sound well out from what you have played.

You can usually mix between the two of these. Its best to use direct monitoring when recoding and switch to indirect when you hit play.

There are also three types of latency you should be aware of - input latency, output latency and plug in latency, but that's a topic for another day.