konalavadome

How do I get this guitar sound?

• 3 Replies

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« on: August 18, 2012, 04:44:12 AM »

3:35 onwards

This is a beautiful video :) and I noticed you can see my ex's house at 4:40 haha :)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:45:42 AM »
Sounds like there's an e-bow involved, along with bags of reverb, gain and possibly a little feedback.

If I had to choose a guitar & amp combo for this kind of sound, I'd go for a fender tele with a fender twin reverb.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:00:22 PM »
Sounds like there's an e-bow involved, along with bags of reverb, gain and possibly a little feedback.

If I had to choose a guitar & amp combo for this kind of sound, I'd go for a fender tele with a fender twin reverb.

I agree with the first part of your reply Tone, but I'm not convinced it's an e-bow (I have one) ... It could be, but I suspect it might be just lots of distortion and feedback. I would say that a Telecaster and Twin were not obvious choices for this sound  - especially if it is an e-bow. E-bows have to be used on the front pickup and the telecaster one is an acoustic-y sounding pickup that you love or hate. Having said that, the gain that an e-bow produces is so high that it almost doesn't matter what front pickup you use. Personally, I'd start with a humbucker and a small English style valve amp with a fairly stupid amount of gain and the effects you mentioned. If anyone cares that much about it I'll try and reproduce it and post the results and the info.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:13:37 AM »
Haha you can guess that I'm a little single-minded in my guitar setup preferences?

I know the tele's not an obvious choice, but I used to make a sound like the one in question using my tele through a twin reverb copy. Basically as you say, a silly amount of distortion, enough volume to feed back, ride the volume pot to keep it vaguely under control, and then throw more reverb than an episode of Dr Who at it!

But yes - maybe a humbucker would be even better.

@domstone - I'd listen to estreet if I were you. He knows his stuff far better than I do :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l