konalavadome

New Software - SongStarter

• 0 Replies

asantoni

• Busker
« on: August 21, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »
Hi guys,

I've been working on building a tool that helps you get musical ideas out of your head as quickly as possible. It's called SongStarter, and it's a music brainstorming environment based on a live looping workflow. To help get feedback, I've just released it as a free public beta that you can download today.

As this is a forum full of songwriters, I figured you would be a great group to ask for feedback on SongStarter. I really wanted to build something that helps facilitate your creativity, and I think you all know way more about creative songwriting than I do, so you'd be good judges of whether or not I've succeeded.

The basic workflow is that you throw down some really basic melody and record it in this live looper, then copy it and keep stacking other melodies on top. I've called a stack of loops an "idea" in the program, and you can copy and idea, cut out some loops, and record more loops to layer on top. I usually use it to record like, some basic catchy chorus, then cut out everything but the drums and bassline, and then put some more layers in to form a verse. The problem is I'm just one guy, and I have no idea how my workflow compares to better songwriters like yourselves.

(I forgot to mention - at the end of a jam session, you can drag and drop MIDI export your ideas to your DAW, so you can shift to arranging and producing with your existing workflow. I hope that makes sense...)

To help get as much feedback from as possible, you can download SongStarter for free during beta. If you're interested in playing around with it, download it today from the SongStarter website, and let me know what you think! Feel free to email me directly or leave your thoughts in this thread (I'll subscribe to it). I'd very much appreciate any feedback from you guys!

Thanks!
Albert