Songwriter Forum > Recording

Travel recording kit (holiday recording!)

(1/1)

faero:
So - I went on holiday to a house in France and took a mini recording setup with me as I knew I'd have time to mess about in the evenings.   The goal was something that is decent enough that I don't need to completely re-record everything again when I get back and still make a nice demo:

Kit:
Laptop with Reaper
UA25 sound card
SM57 mic and lead
mini mic stand
small headphones
M-Audio 25 key keyboard  (for me, this is hammond and drums)

This all fits in a midsized rucksac

Fortunately there was a battered old accoustic guitar where I was going so that was covered.

This worked really nicely and to be honest is not much different to what I'd use at home anyway.  I think for some folks this is overkill but I'm interested in what else could be done ?  Maybe one of those roll-up keyboards would work!

Kafla:
Hi Faero,

I bought the Apogee Mic for my ipad a few months ago - its phenomenal - almost as good as my rode and its smaller than an iphone

You can use it with Garageband (£2.99) and the big benefit is that all the files open up on Logic on my Mac , then I can get the big guns out

I can make music on the train, in my bed , even on the bog pan  ;)

I would advocate this to anyone ;D

domstone86:
That actually sounds ideal :) Wouldn't know what else to recommend!

Ramshackles:
Similar to what KAf says, the simplest setup you can get is one of the iOS devices. Ipad/iphone, all pretty much come with what you need to record. It really depends on what quality of recording you need to make.

If you just want to jot down song ideas, then you can get away with just an iphone or any other handheld recorder.

George Lowell:
My holiday recording / writing kit:

Boss BR Micro 4 track
Battery powered stereo mic
Tin box containing Tandy lapel mic
Tuning fork
Ratty old PC speakers
Shubb partial capo and ordinary capo
A4 pad
On right, just out of view - mug of coffee!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version