• 6 Replies

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« on: July 06, 2009, 10:06:21 AM »
The master shares his wisdom! For those of you who don't know, Neil Finn is the songwriter for Kiwi legends Crowded House. Nuff said!  Enjoy :)

New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

jessie

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 09:50:19 AM »
What a fantastic post, so useful for me to watch that video. Thank you!  ;D Crowded house are great!

Cheers
Jessie

waspfromipanema

• Global Moderator
  • Busker
  • I'm Cathy, Tone's wife.
    • Once Loved Dog Rescue
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 01:50:22 PM »
Yep, nothing like the fantastic Mr. Finn to tell us all how it's done. He is unbelievably talented. Even the song he wrote about not being able to write a song - it's called 'driving me mad' is not the usual pile of cack that should represent not being able to write a song, ie 'I have writers block, and can't you just tell, cos this song is bloody terrible' oh no, instead it's an absolute masterpiece of pure beauty. Ah! I just love it!

x

Captain Andy

• Busker
    • Captain Andy
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 04:47:30 PM »
Really good.

miffer

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 04:01:10 PM »
he's up there with Lennon/that other bloke

It's a shame he doesn't get more respect. Anyone see Crowded House get bottled at that festival? It's on Youtube somewhere. Putting them on the same bill as Rage Against the Machine wasn't a good move....

aaron

• Busker
  • apprentice rockstar
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 09:26:28 PM »
wow i've never heard of neil finn but i recognise lots of his songs though. not really my cup of tea - i prefer something more edgy but he's been quite successful and his more famous songs are really quite famous.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 07:24:48 PM »
I have to say that a large part of my learning the craft of songwriting comes from learning Mr Finn's songs and digesting his constructions.  This is certainly true in terms of chords, harmony and melody, but the one thing you can't learn by copying is the beautiful shades of light and dark that he weaves together, and general creation of atmosphere.  That's something you either have, or don't I think.

Looking forward to hearing the new crowdies record, there's bound to be one in the making by now.

Also, I have to say that crowded house at westonbirt arboretum during the time on earth tour was the best gig I've ever been to, despite the rain.  I was enchanted from start to finish.  I think my friend who came with me felt a little bit lonely as I was completely absorbed throughout.  Great memories. :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l