Melody vs Lyrics

• 26 Replies

stevey16

• Busker
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 09:43:50 PM »
Its an interesting concept, i find it easy to write lyrics in poet form but then I take alot of time fitting it in to new melodys and songs :P If I was to give advice I would probably say do what comes natural!!!! BUT it may become difficult :)

TNMC

• Open Mic
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 07:22:52 PM »
Hi guys, i would say that i would be a lyrics first type of guy, i am really not that musical as far as instruments go, sadly. I am really lucky in that i can give Andy a set of lyrics either with or without a vocal melody and he will then come up with a tune for them, he tells me i generally write lyrics with a rhythm and a feeling which he can then transfer into music sometimes we have to mess about with the words to make them fit better but its usually just the odd word here and there. Recently we have been doing it the other way around with andy giving me a tune and sometimes a line or a verse and i have found it really easy to come up with lyrics based on the feeling i get from his music. I appreciate though that i am lucky, a lot of stuff i have written in the past are just words on a bit of paper, more poetry than lyrics. Every now and then i try to look back on some and see if there is anything worth salvaging, maybe a line or two or even just a feeling or an idea.
Personally, i have never struggled writing lyrics i have literally got hundreds of sets of lyrics although i will definately concede that a lot of them aren't good or they're a bit cheesy, but usually the ones that make it into a song i'm pretty pleased with.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 07:53:11 PM »
Hi Liam (TNMC)

if you would happen to have some lyrics lying around...that you will not use...because find them too cheesy..or just didn't get any music for them...
I will be happy to try to put them too some music  :),  especially because writing lyrics for me is hell  ;D

seriously, i am looking for someone who can write lyrics, so that i can focus on trying to find chords and singing melody

i mentioned this in the collaborations section of this forum a while ago

but I thought I might mention it again  ;D

cheers

TNMC

• Open Mic
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »
Hi Dutchbeat i would be delighted to send you some lyrics, it would be great for me as well to hear what someone else could do with them! I will have a look and see if i can find something decent for you to work with. Feel free to do the song in which ever way you feel works, dont try to please me try to please yourself and if your happy with it then i will be as well.
I have really only ever worked with andy before so it is a bit exciting for me to collaborate with someone else. I'm looking forward to it. Dont worry if you dont like the lyrics or cant do anything with them, just tell me and i will send some others instead.
I'll be in touch soon.
Thanks!
Liam.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 10:15:31 PM »
Liam!

that would be first real collaboration to happen
via songwriterforum  :o
needless to say, you have complete veto power, as the writer

you will get to ammend, change and veto everything!

Only if the song is perfect in the end we will post it on this forum ;D

sorry, songwriters

TNMC

• Open Mic
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 10:53:45 PM »
Hi dutchbeat, I dont really do vetos (you can ask andy) and i'm sure it will be great anyway. I dont/cant write music so if you come up with something, anything, thats more than i could have on my own.
I'm torn between sending you lyrics i already have or writing fresh ones for you - any preference?
Liam.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 11:17:24 PM »
Hehe if you two have any commercial success with your collaboration, I'm well placed to make a claim as your agent :p  ;D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

emmapeel

• Busker
  • Rockchic music maker
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 05:14:01 PM »
There are more ways to start than just melody or lyrics. Sometimes it's the harmony that comes first where you play around with a chord progression until a tune comes into your head. Rythm can also become the main starting point especially if you are a producer/ writer and the groove of what you are about to create becomes very important for promoting the song. It may also be a production idea that comes first which will then get developed into a song. A lot of people are writing music directly on PC's these days with a lot of creativity in software a few mouse-clicks away. I'm sure there are many other ways too. I once was inspired to write a song because I liked the sound of a squeaky door closing. (During an exam)

With me, I usually need some inspiration for to write a song and this could come from any of the above or in the preceding posts. Anything that will get the blood flowing and the thought: "Hey this might make a great song".

To me melody exists along with harmony and the two are part of the same thing. I probably go with this first a lot more than lyrics. But to answer the question I would say: Whatever inspires.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 05:46:42 PM »
Emmapeel

you are very right!..many ways to get inspired...much more than were mentioned

but....when you are addicted to songwriting...
(I am wondering, is songwriting an addiction? And if so, is that a problem?  ::)

I think I may try to start a topic on that...

because, honestly, I have to sit down to try to make some music anyway....even if there has not been a moment of inspiration, am idea, a clear line.or anything

but I totally agree, there are many ways to get inspired!

JL77

• Busker
    • Myspace
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 08:31:09 PM »
I usually write the lyrics first, well, at least the first line or the chorus.
Then I sit down with the guitar and if I'm lucky get a chord sequence going and the melody then unfolds through that.
I have been known to get a melody first though but then find I try to rush the lyrics which is never good.

NataliesLyrics

• Busker
  • Just a dreamer
    • twitter @NataliesLyrics
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 10:53:56 PM »
Always the lyrics for me. I think of some good lyrics and almost all of the time a melody pops in to my head to fit it :)
I love to write songs.

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »
This thread has fluctuated from one point of view to the other.
I can fully understand both points of view and I think both are equally relevant.
I'll try to explain.
I don't really think we as writers make a decision which way to approach writing, at least not initially. Perhaps later to get past a block or explore new areas, but fundamentally we are either musicians or poets.
 I can only speak for myself, but the kind of music that influenced me had lyrics like " Ah wop ba ba loo ba ah wop bam boo... Tuttie fruitie.... oh rootie!"  or "Come on feel the noise.....girls grab the boys....we get wild wild wild!" or "She loves you yeah yeah yeah!"  Hardly Wordsworth or Byron!  :o ;D
Even John Lennon's later Beatles wordplay did not, for me, live outside the music that went with it. Try reading "I am the Walrus" as a poem... ???
In traditional ballad folk music, the tune was only there as an aid to remembering the words. It allowed a story telling tradition to spread. The same tune could have many sets of lyrics over a period of time.
But in the Western Classical tradition the music itself can carry the story.....no..... the emotion without the need for lyrics.
More modern styles such as North American Country or Blues brought more emotion into the ballad tradition.

So to me...modern popular music is a synthesis of Western Classical and Ballad (as defined above).
So however you get there....just get there....Musician or poet...Both aspects are important so make them both the best you can.
Musicians become better poets and poets become better musicians.....Master both and you'll rule the world.  :o ;D :D

Mihkay
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)