"Breakdown"

• 28 Replies

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:14:41 AM »
Here is a new one that has taken on a bit of a life of its own!

I recorded the bare bones of this after watching the Download festival on Sky the other night (Slayer, Anthrax, Slash etc.) - you may spot the heavier influence  ;D

I then started liking the riff so expanded it into a song...

...then a friend (he is on Soundcloud as RedRedding and has some great stuff on there) offered to re-programme the drums from scratch and mix it for me - so I bit his arm off!

This then put me under a little pressure to write a melody/lyric to turn my noodlings into a "proper song"

I think RED has done an awesome job on the drums/mix/production

We did talk about shortening and "taming" the guitar solo but in the end decided to keep - I have been really disciplined with my guitar playing on my previous tracks so wanted at least one unashamed "rockout"  8)

I would also like to introduce "Mrs Boydie" - who is playing "Hannah"  ;)

Enjoy and let me know what ya fink!

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic/breakdown

Thanks

Boydie
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:20:44 AM by Boydie »
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »
wow - I love rock music and I love this!! Great little story with a nice twist in and a really 'driving' beat and melody - your chum makes those drums really work for me. Great stuff. This I will take myself another listen. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 01:35:06 PM »
cant fault this
really good rockin track
like the breakdown hook and the excellent change part
you had me looking for my phone at the start though..
can imagine an excellent you tube vid as well with all the sparks coming off of it..
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 04:20:47 PM »
This is absolutely not my type of music but even I can tell that this is first rate stuff. It's original and is played and produced to the highest standard. Great vocals and a good strong story. I can't fault it; very impressive in all departments.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 02:51:12 AM »
Wahey that's a cool riff on the sections where Mrs Boydie does a great job of the phone voice.
Thoroughly enjoyed that.
It was absolutely that riff and phone voice bit that sold it too me  :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 08:53:52 AM »
I like the phone ringing at the beginning  ;)

But it`s a good rock song...can`t say theres to much wrong...

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »
Yessss.... rocking and rolling to this one. ;D...  Loved the 'industrial' feel to the rhythm, and thought it worked really well with the telephone bits. Some great guitar work there Boydie (Hendrix must be turning in his grave ;D).....The telephone thing works a treat....Mrs. Boydie sounded just like one of my daughters on the phone.....Great stuff...loved it....Thanks :)
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Dutchbeat

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »
fabulous work, Boydie!!!

drums are great, well it is all great, it has an extremely commercial hard rock sound all over, with everything on it and in it

and the guitar solo is ace  :o :o

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:34:49 PM »
Very nice indeed mate. The phone beeps at the start need to be quieter.... I'm just off to peel my tweeter diaphragms off of the wallpaper....
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »
not my scene this like, reminds me of eighties rock but good stuff anyhow its out there for people to enjoy!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 10:52:29 PM »
Glad to see you persevered with this one! The chorus is great Boydie. Great hook in there "Heading for a breakdown"

Generally this is great. My main nit pit is that the female spoken point is a little "cheesy" in its format. I would have lo-fi'ed it up closer to a telephone sound. You have put some filtering on the but it doesnt mimic a telephone close enough. And the line isn't acted quite well enough to really convinced me of "crazy bitch on the line"  ;D ;D :D

I think a punchy acoustic guitar in the chorus would add a missing element to the mix, its a little cold when I want it to be warm and hugging come the chorus, while maintaining the dirty rock edge. 

Ace guitar playing and love the off kilter guitar riffs in the verses, really contrasts the choruses whilst fitting nicely as it progresses :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

BeadyRoller

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 01:16:42 AM »
Liking this Boydie mate, the 'Heading For A Break Down' hook is class, sticks in your head which is always good thing for a song. Vocal fits the song well, great guitar solo, overall just a proper good rocker of a tune! Nice one.

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 12:49:14 PM »

Hiya Boydie,

Wow your wife sounds really young  ;)

I think the musicianship on this is excellent, its not my sort of thing really but good work

Flossie
x

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 12:01:26 AM »
mrs boydie is a star! she sounds as small as me!
great song but if  i was playing that solo id have stuck it right in peoples ears not had it fighting for attention it needs more treble or something
you do a great rock vocal boydie
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

evanjavo

• Open Mic
  • Just passing through.
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 12:55:30 AM »
Very professional, rockin tune. It makes me jealous the level of production, but I feel honored to hear it. It's not my first choice of music, but I can't deny how awesome this is! Nice job, Boydie.