konalavadome

The Best truths are written in lies

• 5 Replies

stargirl

• Busker
« on: August 27, 2010, 07:09:27 PM »
www.purevolume.com/liesforneweyes

I would like some feedback on the only piano song i've ever done.

Also, on my voice. I am primarly a songwriter. Could I carry on singing or would it be worth bringing in another singer?

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 09:25:49 AM »
Hi Stargirl - thanks for posting your song.

I think it has potential. You've captured a feel in this song, and it has a nice Americana feel to it, with some commercial appeal behind it.  A fairly strong melody and nice progressions.  I do think you need more practice playing it before presenting it though.

I didn't catch all the lyrics, but I think they could be tidied up. There was nothing there that really stuck out as bad, but it was a little generic and indistinct.

Singing-wise, I think the answer is yes. You could carry on singing if you want to and you enjoy it. Being a good singer is like anything else, it takes practice and experience. You could bring in another vocalist while you're bringing your voice up to standard though. Totally depends on what you want to do.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »
Hello Stargirl,

I think the song has potential. If this was recorded with a band and beefed up a bit it may have more commercial appeal but as a bare-bones recording, it's good. As for the singing, there are parts of the song where the vocals don't match the chords tonally, probably because as you say you are a songwriter first.

You ask if you could continue singing. Well, singing is just like learning an instrument, keep at it and it will get better and better so yes, the answer to your question is in your own hands.

More Than I Ever Hoped

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 10:19:48 AM »
I like the "just a girl and a piano" feel to your song, even though your vocals were shaky they were actually my favourite part of the song, i liked the delicacy. Just playing it over and over and adding little bits of flair to the song will improve it greatly

miniking

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 11:50:29 PM »
I like the song and the chord progressions. I think it could benefit from a non-diatonic progression (maybe with a couple of chords that don't necessarly keep to the key) to give it a little more interest.  Good hook though. The voice has potential yet it's rather pitchy with a tendancy to be flat. My advice is that if you put a lot of practice in for a year or two then you would be seriously good. This is a good song which is the most important part. Keep going as performance and technicianship come with time and practice, but good songwriting is a natural gift and I would say you have that.

One of ours check it out

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 12:04:58 AM »
I don't think you are ready to rule the world just yet :P but I think you should keep on going. Practice, even in your sleep  :D
Your voice isn't wuite ready yet but I think with practice you could sing well.
Keep writing and keep experimenting. Sometimes instead of going to a chord that sounds obvious... play around seeing if any other chords will take the music in a slightly different direction.
It's surprising what you will come up with!
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.