For Your Love

• 25 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »
Tight playing, great vocal projection, interesting chord movements and I like the way the title appears at the end of each section. I like the modern referencing lyrics "Solid state/obsolete technologies"

My main issue here is that this is exhausting to my ears. 6 minutes and all at one level. It isn't over compressed at all, its just played at one level throughout. Granted much of this is my preference for dark and light in my music, but even heavy music plays with contrasts.

"Nevermind" by Nirvana is the classic loud/quiet album. Grunge needed it, of course, as the main components were so very basic, but in any case it shows the magic of contrast. This song does the opposite. The drummer plays full whack throughout, the guitars chug along unrelentlessly. And when the lead lines appear there force there way into the soundscape rather than having other guitars drop to give them space. All of this is likely done on purpose though...

I'll repeat; this is to my ears. Some people will love the balls out rock thing, but for me it distracted from what is a great song melodically and lyrically. A softer sections here and there with a changing drum pattern, letting the vocal breathe, would maybe have kept my attention for the full 6 minutes. As it stands I drifted off in a see of power chords and splashy brassware after the first 3. But maybe that's what you wanted me to do  ;)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 06:25:12 PM »
10 out of 10 on the happy to play this live. Love it. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

GuitarArt1980

• Open Mic
    • Shapes & Faces
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 10:32:01 PM »
A wall of Marshall stacks come to mind when listening to this one. Really nice guitar work and general hook-consciousness. It's a little too constant for me (I'm a dynamics whore!) but really good in-your-face rock. And I would cut the length by quite a bit but still keep the ending. Overall, very pro!
Please like and share my band at www.facebook.com/shapesandfaces

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 11:09:10 PM »
+1 to everything JAMES has said

I loved the track and I particularly like your vocal delivery - however even this is all on "one level" which diminishes the impact a little as the track progresses

The other downside of the "full on" approach is that the sections of the song get a little lost, which is a shame as the song and structure is great

However, I do get the feeling that you know all of this and just thought - f**ck it - we'll do it this way!! (which I kinda like as well!)

Great job!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 12:48:35 AM »
Great rockin'number that really had me going and in a live situation I would not change an inch of it, but, as a studio track I feel it was full on with out a breather for too long. A softer passage or two, to allow the listener a time to breathe or a shorter version of the song would be well accepted. The lyrics were great, loved the references back in time, they kept me listening for the full duration of the song otherwise I would have been stunned into surrender by the wall  of sound before the first finale ( which I loved by the way, as I did the second as well )Everything about the song is great but like chocolate, a small bar is all I can handle in one sitting the king size bars normally take two or three attempts to demolish.

Adam

• Busker
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 12:50:28 AM »
Hey. Haven't been round for a while. Thanks for all the generous comments. Thanks also for the constructive critiques.   

Little Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Busker
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 01:03:05 AM »

do you think you'll have time to comment on songs other than your own ?
do unto others as you would be done by

Adam

• Busker
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 01:13:07 AM »
Well Bill it's like this. I comment on songs in instances where I think I can make a positive contribution. I don't consider myself an expert. I'll say something if I believe I have something to say. Unlike others I won't post a meaningless three word sentence just to boost my participation quota. If that isn't good enough for you then, y'know, tough shit. Feel free to pull the ban card.   

Little Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Busker
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 01:18:24 AM »
i had a feeling you'd respond like that
this is a songwriters forum.
the idea is to contribute & comment, give and take.
its not all about you.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:19:57 AM by Little Bill »
do unto others as you would be done by

Adam

• Busker
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 01:29:18 AM »
Swift edit there, Bill. Good work!

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 06:51:52 PM »
There's a lot I like about this ... lyrics ... your voice, but the complete absence of dynamics in the recording would stop me ever listening to it again. It's a bit like eating a pasta and mashed potato sandwich with extra thick bread - far too stodgy with every available space filled up.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.