konalavadome

"Big Sky"

• 12 Replies

GuitarArt1980

• Open Mic
    • Shapes & Faces
« on: July 11, 2012, 02:58:16 PM »
Here's one I recorded a while back called "Big Sky". The playing is pretty messy overall but I'd like to get some feedback on the song itself. Thanks in advance for listening!

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_12835140

Big Sky
Big sky, flat lines
I tried, I tried
To get out
To get on
To the East side shoreline
Oh I’m ready to go
Oh I’m ready to go
I said, I said
I’m going home

Maybe it cannot be defined
Something in the place I was born
In the middle, right for my soul
In the middle, right for you know

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh
To the stars…

Cyan meets the gold
A wonder to behold
And I’ve gone so far
To get back to where I started
Oh I’m ready to go
Oh I’m ready to go
I said, I said
I’m finally home… Finally

Maybe it cannot be defined
Something in the place I was born
In the middle, right for my soul
In the middle, right for you know
Please like and share my band at www.facebook.com/shapesandfaces

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 04:48:05 PM »
Pretty good song i`m sure it will be well received ..

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 07:09:39 PM »
good stuff this like, i was thinking the libertines when the intro was kicking in, the libertines were pretty messy sometimes but theirs sumit about a being a biit rough around the edges like! i was kinda diggin the music rather than the actual song melody! its a mix of the libertines and something else, i cant think at the minute, maybes the wombats melody and vocally! keep it more libertines than the wombats then i'm digging it!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

evanjavo

• Open Mic
  • Just passing through.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 07:51:46 PM »
What a good jam man! Like mentioned before, I hear a bit of the Libertines and maybe a little of Kings of Leon's earlier stuff. Usually I don't favor much of this kind of music because it just feels like a circus, but every now and then it ends up being a good thing and not feeling so forced. Good tune, thanks for sharing.

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »
instant hit with me fella! ,done really well
Learner guitarist

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:09:59 PM »
You last song was a big hit with me. This one sits less easily. You clearly have a very liking for very intricate arrangements. In the last song I loved it. There was lots going on but I was still pulled in. Here, it is messier, and I get a little lost. Either the drums are doing something very clever, or there are beats out of place - I am tired so maybe missing a trick or two here but this doesn't seem anywhere near as tight as your last song.

Equally the vocal is low in the mix and there doesn't seem to be much of a hook going on which are two things I don't go for in my tunes.

Perhaps this just isn't for me. But its so different to "lost in Connecticut"

I have just compared it. This song is clearly a much rougher recording (volume drop was give away enough: one mastered one not I would guess, and the recording in general is better on "Connecticut".

But its not the recording that loses me, I think this songs lacks the focus and attention to details. I hope my ramblings help :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:25:15 AM »
I got that Libertines vibe too. I think this song is great, real upbeat. It's busy but not difficult to make sense of. I do think, though, that the vocals are but 'sunk in' so they lose a lot of their power and effect. Some people record wanting to create that effect so if that was your intention then fair enough, but if you don't mind either way then I reckon you should make them a bit louder and more forward in the mix.
Defective Elector

GuitarArt1980

• Open Mic
    • Shapes & Faces
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 01:43:24 PM »
I got that Libertines vibe too. I think this song is great, real upbeat. It's busy but not difficult to make sense of. I do think, though, that the vocals are but 'sunk in' so they lose a lot of their power and effect. Some people record wanting to create that effect so if that was your intention then fair enough, but if you don't mind either way then I reckon you should make them a bit louder and more forward in the mix.

Looks like I need to listen to some Libertines, I'm not really familiar with them. I agree about the vocals being 'sunk in', I always go back and forth on how much I want the vocals to stand out and they're definitely too far back in the mix on this one. The mix overall is spotty too - the crashes are too loud and the snare gets lost in the middle - not to mention things are slightly out of time with eachother. I'm looking forward to reworking this one for sure. Thanks for listening!

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »
Libertines with a riff that put me in mind of Big Country a little. (Showing my advancing years.) Enjoyed it lots - really strong song. Bit like a Mars bar in as much - there was just a little bit too much of a good thing for me - could benefit from being a smidge shorter perhaps?? But really enjoyed - thanks.. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »

absolutely love this
goes a lot further back than the libertines
70s echo again in a great way complete with a swift 60s fade
really interesting exciting track.. vocal might need tweaking volumes etc ,  but regardless..
my pick of the week
nooms
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

GuitarArt1980

• Open Mic
    • Shapes & Faces
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 04:12:47 PM »

absolutely love this
goes a lot further back than the libertines
70s echo again in a great way complete with a swift 60s fade
really interesting exciting track.. vocal might need tweaking volumes etc ,  but regardless..
my pick of the week
nooms

Wow, thanks nooms!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 05:43:47 PM »
This has definately got promise. The guitar sound is great and you've got a great voice for this sort of material. It is worth persevering with it to get a more coherant arrangement with maybe a little light and shade. Your drummer reminds me of "Animal" from the Muppets - he could maybe tone it down a little  ;D

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 10:31:39 PM »
I really enjoyed this and I liked the "rough n ready" approach

There are some obvious mix/timing issues that have been covered so on to the song...

I think the song could be a little more "focussed" - all the bits are there but it is all "spread out" a bit too much and there is almost too much going on!

You could even split this up into 2 or 3 different songs with all the different riffs, sections etc.

For me there are too many "gaps" - e.g. is it a break for a riff? is it a solo? - there is so much going on I think the track loses a little focus in places

A good example is the intro - I thought the vocal could have kicked in at around 12 seconds after the first riff (which I loved) and then save the second riff as something new later in the track

As it stands you have a 45 second intro  :o - which is quite a bold step, especially if you plan to use the track as any form of demo

I think you have all the right bits and pieces and I think you could have a really great, focussed, track if you got ruthless with the editing
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic