konalavadome

Collaberation for film song

• 10 Replies

Jonny

• Busker
« on: August 24, 2010, 01:21:31 AM »
Hi all,

I am new to the forum so I hope that I have posted this in the correct place. I apologise now if I haven't.

I am posting here as a group of friends and myself are a non-profit, non commercial amateur film making group that make feature lengths films as a hobby and for the love of films and cinema that we have.

We are currently in a project and we want to create a track for our project which is original to go with original score that is being composed for us. We have a composer writing the score for us and now we would like to create a track to be played during certain parts of our project, which is why we are posting here as we would like to ask if there is anyone who would be able to help us write a song for our project to add to the original soundtrack to give our film it's own identity rather than using music which is copyright protected and has already been used in similar style films.

I have tried writing it myself however I am not a lyricist/musician or composer and the others in my group are not either.

We would fully credit anyone who helps in the credits of the film. If you are interested in this and would like to chat and get some more info then please email (jonny232uk@yahoo.co.uk) or PM me or post here and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading this and I looking forward to hearing from you soon.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:49:28 AM »
Hi Jonny - thanks for joining the forum :)

Sounds like a great opportunity for an up and coming songwriter.  Can you tell us more about the film, what kind of song(s) you're looking for, and what if any release is going to be made.

People are going to want to know how it will affect their publishing and rights to the music.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:17:21 AM »
I think this sounds interesting but yes we would need to know what style of music and what the song should be about. Should it be accoustic, techno, ballad etc...
And of course like Tone said, publishing rights and all that legal stuff would have to be sorted.
I personally would be prepared to give it a go and let you use the song for your film for free as long as the film is a non profit entity. If ever the film started to make lots of money then that's a different story ;)
And although you would have permission to use the song in your film I would probably want to retain all rights to the song.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Jonny

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 01:43:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't expecting such an interest or positive reply so soon, so it was nice surprise when I checked back today.

Whoever writes the song will retain all rights to the song but will allow us to use it for the film. I can assure you that this project is a non profit entity and will remain this way as we will not even have donate buttons on the site. It is entirely funded by those who are working on it. We plan to release this on the internet via a specially built site to host this film.

We require something thought provoking, maybe a little sad and or emotional. Other tracks that we have listed to that we like the style of include, Eyna - Pilgrim, Annie Lennox - Into the West and Emiliana Torrini - Gollum's song.

Our film is set in a mystical, mythical and medieval world where a man of around 22-24 has to become the high king of a kingdom in this world to fulfill his destiny and restore the balance of peace in the world and lift the darkness and evil that has shrouded the world. He has three people who are guiding him but ultimately it is him that to has to do whatever it takes, whatever the cost to to bring light to the world again.

That is a short overview of the film but I can provide more detail in needed.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 05:27:40 PM »
That is a short overview of the film but I can provide more detail in needed.
Yes please!
The main thing that's on my mind is that if this is a non-profit film, what's its purpose? Is it to draw attention to a cause, a church or similar? Some of us might want to support some causes more than others.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 06:02:42 PM »
This sounds exciting...but the lyrics will have to fit the script exactly...else it wouldn't work, would it?

well, I can send you a link to one of my songs where it is hard to hear the words anyway...i posted it earlier on this forum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOrw6RwN4Lg

you can find some more songs on that you tube page of us, but probably not what you are looking for

could you give more direction what the lyric of the song should be about in your mind?

Jonny

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:28:31 AM »
Hi

To answer your question Tone, this project is not to draw any attention to a cause or church, however we do have in a mind the purpose of making the audience think. Give them food for thought about things they wish they may have done differently, changed or sacrifices they have made, we are trying to get them to relate to the characters and leave them thinking as well as being entertained. Also thanks for bringing that up as I agree some may wish to support some causes more than others.

To answer Dutchbeat, yes something that relates to the script would be good and I also have some keywords in mind which sum up the what I would like the song about and these are also keywords for the project as a whole. However I am open to any suggestions on these keywords which will enhance the piece.

The keywords are:
Evil, darkness, white light, long travel, destiny, high king, love, loss, power, good, peace.

Edit: I am adding the keyword destruction.

I am re-reading all the information I have about the film and I will post more keywords as I find ones that I wish to be added to the lyrics.

If you let me know what other information you need about the project and I will either post it here or send it to you via PM or email depending on what would be easiest for you.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:57:43 PM by Jonny »

Jonny

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 04:34:17 PM »
Hi all,

I was wondering what other information you wanted to help write a song. As I said in first post I am not a song writer but I am happy to work with someone to create the lyrics.

Cheers

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 04:53:24 PM »
I would suggest that anyone interested in writing the song can send you a Private Message, and you could send them a full synopsis or even the screenplay/ storyboard. That way you know you will be getting a song that really fits.

Jonny

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:19:59 PM »
Thanks Tone, that would be very helpful. Anyone who is interested then please contact me via Private Message and I will get back to you about it. I check almost everyday so you won't have to wait to long for a reply.

Also I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted in the forum and has shown an interest.

Shaktyone

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 04:35:11 PM »
Yes I may be interested - I am a lyricist - been writing my own songs since 14 and having been the lead singer in a band and songwriter am now concentrating on my own music - but woould be interested to do something like this ?

I am based in Kent but we can do this online I guess dont know how you want to do it and if indeed you still need help ?

Regards
Shaktoyne