Time and a word...or tune....

• 8 Replies

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« on: June 22, 2012, 10:40:03 PM »
I love the creative process. I enjoy the creativity. I even quite enjoy the just getting stuck in to punching an idea note by note into midi.

BUT I HAVE REAL TROUBLE FINDING THE TIME!  :o

I'm always amazed that there are some of you out there that can have a family, a job and still kick out tunes......whilst reviewing other material AND finding time to sleep!  :o
I'm struggling with trying to sort out one song, having had a two month deadline. And to do so I've not so much as listened to anyone else's song, far less commented on one!

OK, I accept that actually being able to play at least one instrument properly can cut down the production time and having a band around helps iron out the obvious flaws quickly

......so taking those things out of the equation...............

Any time management techniques out there to help me make better use of the limited time available?
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

birdattack

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 11:44:30 PM »
Write lyrics on the go, all the time :) I have the garage band iPhone app so when I'm away I can still write songs or at least melodies, there are lots of things :)
Also depends on what quality you're going for naturally, if you're making album tier ready stuff I don't think 2 months is that long to be honest
''can you play summer of 69'' - drunken mob at local pub gig after we'd played summer of 69 three times in a row

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 04:53:57 AM »
See that's the thing, I never sleep :P

Basically, I have a band practise each weekend and the expectation is that between practises I have done some work of my own, whether it's just brushing up on our present stuff or coming up with new things (lyrically or on the bass). If I come up with something, I'll either write it down or, if it's a bassline, find a way to keep it in my head until I can pick up my instrument and work it out.
Defective Elector

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:36:36 AM »
most of my ideas come when i'm driving about or mainly in the woods dogwalking
so i make sure i take my phone with me so i can at least put it on the voice recorder before
its forgotten ,
recording stuff ,  usually have a 2 or 3 hour window in the evening when the wife's watching the gogglebox and sons gone to bed , cant make to much noise but it's better than nothing  :)
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »
Between trying to juggle work, fiancee, weekend work at a studio/building equipment and still having at least a couple of friends, I'm in the same boat as you mikhay. Writing songs is not much trouble as I can do that in gaps between everything; and it doesnt take much to bring a guitar wherever you go, but finding time to record (which I need a big chunk of uninterrupted time for) is more and more difficult. Much less finding any time to properly listen to stuff on the forum.
I think the only answer really is that somethings got to give...Im not that good at time management :P

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 04:08:01 PM »
I really am struggling the now as well

I have an enormous business deal being negotiated and it's sucking all the musical life out of me

I have 4 of the best song I have ever written the go but I just haven't got the energy to complete them

I hope no one minds but I will be infrequent on here for a while (after I post tinams song probably tonight, but that was completed weeks ago, apart from the sound effects Tina has been advising me on :o )

I still love you all  :o

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »
I really am struggling the now as well

I have an enormous business deal being negotiated and it's sucking all the musical life out of me

I have 4 of the best song I have ever written the go but I just haven't got the energy to complete them

I hope no one minds but I will be infrequent on here for a while (after I post tinams song probably tonight, but that was completed weeks ago, apart from the sound effects Tina has been advising me on :o )

I still love you all  :o

An enormous business deal...sounds good. ;)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »
It's harder to find time in the summer for me because I spend less time sat here and more time gardening and that
sort of stuff.
But I guess it all comes down to how rock and roll you are  ;D
If you are a songwriter/musician then that's what you are and nothing comes first before it, not work, not the missus, not anything.
I must be half rock and roll because I do compromise with the missus  :P
If it's in your blood you'll find or make the time  :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 09:44:21 PM »
I must not be very serious. I love the creative bit, it's the iteration I have to go through that's the bind.

If I was in a band the rehearsals would quickly get things worked out and the labours would be split. But on my own! To change even a small thing can mean rewriting or replaying a whole part, which in it's turn can show up another little problem and the cycle begins again.  >:(

That's why all of my material is still in the very rough demo state.   ;D

But at least I have finished my pairs competition song. Writing to a deadline does focus the effort and makes me find the time but it does kind of ruin my enjoyment as the de-prioritising of other things needed for everyday life is very stressful.

So time to do the other things for a while.....Like catch up with about a months worth of reviewing!  :o ;)
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)