konalavadome

How does it work??

• 7 Replies

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 22, 2012, 08:15:31 AM »
Hi guys, I'm relatively new to this forum thing, and am a novice as far as computer stuff is concerned (thought cubase was a rap artist for ages :D).  Would love to do some collaborating but don't know how it's done.  Do I need special software/hardware etc. etc. All my recording is done on a Boss BR1600....is this any good ??
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 08:36:44 AM »
In my experience the collaborations have worked my emailing mp3s to each other

E.g I have recently collaborated with DUTCHBEAT on his new electro dance track

He wanted some rocking guitar shredding on it so he emailed me an mp3 of his track

I then loaded the mp3 into SONAR (my recording software of choice on my pc - it is the equivalent of cubase, logic, pro tools etc.)

I then record my guitar part so that it fits in with DUTCHBEAT'S track

I then export JUST THE GUITAR TRACK out of SONAR (known as a "stem") fot DUTCHBEAT to process, manipulate and mix with his other tracks

I worked the other way around with GARNER when she sang on my track "Why Would I?"

I emailed GARNER 2 mp3s - 1 with the full track (including my crappy scratch vocals) and another with just the instrumentation and no vocals

GARNER then loaded the "backing track" into her software, sang some amazing takes, and then exported each take into a SEPARATE mp3 and emailed them to me

I was then able to treat each mp3 as a seperate take as if I had recorded them on different tracks with GARNER actually with me

I could then manipulate each track and mix it in to the finished song

If I needed more tracks (backing vocals, harmonies etc.) we would repeat this process

The key is getting a clean take on its own (a "stem") that is in tune and, even more inportantly, in time with the original track

I have had sooooo much fun and learnt so much working in this way I would highly recommend you give it a go

Once you and your collaborator understand the "workflow" it can be as convenient (sometimes more convenient) than working with someone face to face

It still blows my mind thst I am in the UK collaborating with GARNER in the USA and DUTCHBEAT in Holland - it is crazy when you think about, the wonders og techmology!!!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:45:41 AM »
Hi Boydie,  Thanks for that....very helpful.  So, I need to get cubase or a similar programme? I've played around with Acid Pro, is that the sort of thing?  You make it sound like a relatively easy process, but I found Acid quite complicated to operate.....great fun playing around with samples and loops etc. but never tried downloading any of my music on it.  Also, I'm a bit confused as to how I would record over someone else's track......where would I plug in my guitar.......Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but I really don't understand any of this stuff....Thanks for you time,patience and understanding...........

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 11:27:44 AM »
well i am no expert & in some ways know hardly anything but i have been doing this for several years now sucessfuly so i guess i must know quite a bit in my own funny way!
you need to get a thing called a interface that lets you connect your guitar etc into your computer.... a lot of these seem to come with recording programms aswell for your computer so you get evrything you need
but if it doesnt then id say download reaper which is fantastic & free & use that
BUT its not easy at first understanding how these things work they have so much on them i spent  months when i started tearing my hair out & banging things so be prepared for frustration ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:30:57 PM »
Tina is spot on here

If you already have a PC (the more powerful the better) you will need an "Audio Interface" that you will plug your guitar into and the box will work its magic to turn your guitar signal into a digital signal that will go in to your PC

What type of interface you go for will depend on your budget, and what you want to achieve

If you will only ever want to record one instrument at a time something like this may be a good "cheap n cheerful" option at under £25:

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/behringer-uca222-ultra-low-latency-2-in-2-out-usb-audio-interface--61721

This is the budget version of the interface I use at around £70

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/m-audio-fast-track--68396

This is the actual interface I use that has a wide range of "ins and outs" and is a lot of "bang for buck" - although it is £300!

http://www.dv247.com/computer-music-software/avid-pro-tools-mp-9-and-fast-track-ultra--85774

Other good brands are Focusrite and I have read good reviews about the Cakewalk stuff

TINA is also right that you may find a good "bundle" with software included - but there is also great free stuff out there such as REAPER and the software that comes with Computer Music magazine - which will also have articles to get you up and running!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »
Also, I'm a bit confused as to how I would record over someone else's track......where would I plug in my guitar.......

This is the beauty of "multi track recording"

Your Boss BR1600 is essentially a standalone "16 Track" recorder

This means you can record a guitar on Track 1, a bass on Track 2, a kick drum on Track 3, a snare on Track 4, hi hats on Track 5, vocals on Track 6 etc. etc.

If you want to record a STEREO source you need 2 Tracks (one for the left channel and one for the right channel)

You are then able to blend the different tracks together (by changing their levels, eq, panning, apply fx etc.) to make your "MIX"

From reading a quick review of the BR1600 it appears that a computer based DAW (Digital Audio Worksation) such as Sonar, Cubase or Reaper will give you similar functionality within its software - but with MUCH (much, much, much) more flexibility

By collaborating you just put the other person's music onto 1 track (or 2 tracks if it is stereo) and then record your bit on another track - the key is then sending back just the new track (stem) to the person that is putting the finished song together

It is VERY confusing to start with but does get easier the more you do it

I would recommend picking a DAW (it is not secret I am a big fan of SONAR) and learning it inside out - many of the principles are the same across different types so they are all much of a muchness!

Good luck!

Dutchbeat

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 01:07:41 PM »
Hi Binladeda,

i just added Boydies guitar parts to my latest music...it is now in the reviews section under the name "untitled - edit - now with guitar from Boydie" or something like that...but i realise this will probably not be your kind of music..(or anybody's kind of music  :P

if you want to add a part to someone else's song or mix, you can even do that with the recorder you have, if you can make an MP3 of the track or a WAV track the mixer (so someone with cubase, reaper, sonar etc etc.) can add it to the mix

the other way around, if you want people to add a track or something to a song you made you will probably need multitrack software of some kind, although i did already add some tracks of others on my old 16 track recorder. It had the option to insert mp3 tracks from others on separate tracks, your recorder probably will have a possibility like that. i had to put the MP3 track on a cd and then i could insert it on a separate track....

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 08:46:51 AM »
thanks guys for all this info......In summary;  I can take an mp3 file and change the file format, burn it to CD and import it to my BR1600...then just reverse the process.  Or, buy a more powerful PC, ( been toying with the idea of buying a Mac for ages, only have a cheap laptop :-\) an interface for my guitar, and download reaper or buy a similar programme.  Hope I got that right.....thanks again guys most helpful