konalavadome

How do you tell if your songs are too busy? Got a Filter?

• 10 Replies

ComposerZeus

• Busker
« on: June 21, 2012, 02:31:32 AM »
It's interesting when you listen to local bands play their music that they've written, You can always tell when they don't listen to each other while they write, It sounds like you got several guys playing musical pieces at the same time that don't go together.
Here is a hilarious example of this in a youtube presentation I put together.

What do you think?

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 03:24:03 AM »
I think this is the third time I've come across a link to this video in a post of yours. I get it, and I see that some bands have this problem, but the whole tone of the video kinda puts me off taking any advice from it...

Or, if you're wanting a discussion on the issue and not feedback on the video, I think it's a bit of a problem with smaller-scale bands but not a noticeable one over here. Generally they have it down, and the ones who don't are the little 12 year olds who compete at rockquest who get through because the judges wet themselves with excitement when they see small people play big instruments.
Defective Elector

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 09:07:10 AM »
Ok dude, so that's 3 posts, all dressed up as forum discussions to which you haven't so far returned. It appears that you're here to promote your youtube channel, not to take part in a songwriting community.

I have no problem with members plugging their work - unless they're only interested in that, and not in taking part in the community here.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're only ever going to post links to your youtube channel, I'm going to remove them.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

ComposerZeus

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 04:46:40 AM »
I think this is the third time I've come across a link to this video in a post of yours. I get it, and I see that some bands have this problem, but the whole tone of the video kinda puts me off taking any advice from it...

Or, if you're wanting a discussion on the issue and not feedback on the video, I think it's a bit of a problem with smaller-scale bands but not a noticeable one over here. Generally they have it down, and the ones who don't are the little 12 year olds who compete at rockquest who get through because the judges wet themselves with excitement when they see small people play big instruments.

I really appreciate your feedback.
It seems that people are not responding well to my videos on the forum. Personally I thought they were funny even at the expense of myself because i've been guilty of the same stuff in the past.
I certainly don't want to come across with the wrong tone & I am having a little trouble perceiving what you mean by the tone. My guess would be relating to the accusatory nature perhaps?

Maybe my warped ability to laugh at ourselves isn't what works for others.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 02:04:56 PM »
Tone, you are being far too nice - He is on his forth strike now!!

You gave him fair warning last time, bring down that Banhammer and make sure it smarts good ;)

Tone-y!
Tone-y!!
Yone-y!!!

:D 8) ;)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 03:01:17 AM »
Tone, you are being far too nice - He is on his forth strike now!!

You gave him fair warning last time, bring down that Banhammer and make sure it smarts good ;)

Tone-y!
Tone-y!!
Yone-y!!!

:D 8) ;)

I think you may have the wrong person in mind, James...

Perhaps it's Liam you're thinking of
Defective Elector

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 12:25:25 PM »
Just checked back, I did get a little confused as he hasn't been warned before, (not that I can find it now)

But it is still very clear that this chap is just using the forum to push his YouTube videos at us. 4 posts, 3 with a video link, 1 as a response to his own thread.

This place is great because it doesn't have any of this day to day  :D :D
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

ComposerZeus

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 03:59:13 AM »
Just checked back, I did get a little confused as he hasn't been warned before, (not that I can find it now)

But it is still very clear that this chap is just using the forum to push his YouTube videos at us. 4 posts, 3 with a video link, 1 as a response to his own thread.

This place is great because it doesn't have any of this day to day  :D :D

Yes I will admit that I have been promoting my channel, I feel however that my content is on topic and very relevant for musicians. In my opinion I think these videos are laid out in a manner that has value beyond just plain text.

Have I somehow disappointed thee? It surely was not my intention. I was hoping my videos would have a positive impact but so far I haven't seen much. I am a newbie on forums and apparently there is some sort of etiquette here that I am not familiar with.

Thanks

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:39:29 AM »
I think it is less about "etiquette" and more about manners

This is a songwriting forum and there is a wide range of experience from pro writers/producers to complete beginners

Your first few posts were a bit "preachy" as if you were telling everyone how it should be done - without getting involved in the community of posting and reviewing songs

I think if you get to know everyone first - and let us get to know you - you could then introduce your videos as "hey guys, this is interesting I just did a video about ##### , what do you think"

Rather than looking like you are trying to ba an authority on songwriting - which you may well be but you need to understand where everyone else is and the biggest help you could be is to review songs

Most people judge member's songwriting skills and abilities by the reviews and constructive critiques than the actual songs they post

My advice is to get involved in reviewing and then I think your videos will get the attention they probably deserve ( i haven't looked myself yet)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 06:21:28 PM »
I'd go with Boydie. Get to know people. Join in a bit. If you don't and only post your own stuff/videos then it will
be percieved that you are only here for yourself and we have guidlines about that.
We don't like people who spam, abuse etc...
I'm sure with all that knowledge you could give some good reviews  ;)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

vibesville

• Open Mic
  • That would be me then ;)
    • Listen to me here! :)
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 09:57:45 PM »
It's interesting when you listen to local bands play their music that they've written, You can always tell when they don't listen to each other while they write, It sounds like you got several guys playing musical pieces at the same time that don't go together.
Here is a hilarious example of this in a youtube presentation I put together.

What do you think?

I think I want you to post something that proves to me that your actually someone worth listening to.
Something that proves you can give advice on songwriting, something you've composed yourself that says...
Yeah! thats a song!

Hang on a sec is that pig flying by my window?  ;)

oh I can eat humble pie by the way... just give me the nod, I'm all ears!
“Acoustic laid back new wave punk indie folk with a sprinkle of deep meaningful day to day observations on how the world goes round and round and round and sometimes I actually notice this happening and decide it’s worthy enough to write a song about.”

https://www.facebook.com/vibesville
http://www.youtube.com/vibesville

Promote yourself here!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Share-the-Vibe/