PAIRS COMPETITION ENTRY - 1 Little Rock - Withdrawn

• 7 Replies

Kafla

« on: June 23, 2012, 05:49:20 PM »
Guys & Girls - I have decided to pull this song - I think it makes sense to.

Thanks to everyone who commented on it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:44:32 PM by Kafla »

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 08:06:47 PM »
Hi Kaf,

This sounds great, you've done a brilliant job of matching the feel of tina's lyrics, as the subject matter is serious -  must have been quite tricky to do, so well done x. Really clever use of the sound effects btw

Tina, you really have a talent for story telling I always  enjoy your lyrics x

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 09:24:49 PM »
this moves along nicely, a lovely lilt !
artillery was a surprise ! (nicked that from the 1812, you cant fool me !)
be nice to have kept a pulse going underneath the mayhem but no matter..
lovely idea the sedate ‘elgar’ effect that follows,  and the choir
lyrics are like one of those victorian edward gorey horror storys
and really good melody
thing is though when its over i didnt know whether to laugh or cry..
kind of ambiguous
fine work tho, ‘KafaTina’
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:19:50 PM »
I agree with Nooms, its a little ambiguous what exactly we should feel here. I am falling on the side of sorrow. The crying sample at the end was too far in my opinion. Imply it, don't present it.

The cripple for life line almost seems like a punchline when heard, but the problem is the genius is not immediately apparent. When read from the lyric sheet the clever word play is apparent. I do wonder that because most people never bother with lyric sheets, perhaps many listeners would miss out on the turn around. I don't know...

The music is cool, minor progression through the synths. Nice and colourful. The gun shot parts further the idea that this is a serious piece for me. The harmonies are nice and balanced, but I felt the main vocal was a shade shy of your usual stellar performance. Some of the notes took a little longer to bend into pitch than I would perhaps have liked. Less of an issue on the second listen through.

(Side point: You pronounce Gigantic very oddly. Jai-an-tic. Never heard that pronunciation before!?)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:30:18 PM by James Nighthawk »
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:46:05 PM »
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:57:37 PM by Kafla »

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 03:17:03 AM »
I think it's a great song but Tina probably shouldn't have let slip that she was aiming for the biggest anti-war lyric she could do... I felt it could have been far more powerful in that sense. I found the final lyric clever but that was all it really had in terms of being anti-war... It needs something more affecting, more powerful, more 'cripple for life' moments...

I also think the music could have done more in terms of making the song powerful. It was good music, but it seemed liked it could have been good music in any song with any message. It didn't feel like it suited those lyrics, like it was the only thing that could have ever been put to them...

I think one of the more masterful anti-war songs is 'Hero of War' by rise against, and what it does musically is so incredibly simple. It has that single guitar the whole time which reminds one of those 'hippie protest' sorts of songs (not using that term negatively, just couldn't think of a better one) and brings in that single snare. That snare is where the genius lies IMO, it's a piece of music someone would associate with the military.

So perhaps the music for this should have sounded like a battle march, or gone with the 'solemn snare' of 'Hero of War' and 'Like Toy Soldiers', or used the grandiose sound of 'The Captain'. I just think the music was goo, but it wasn't right.

Songs mentioned:

Defective Elector

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:06:12 AM »
Possibly my favourite song of yours Kaf, it's well flowing song and the subject matter is put across well, terrific production, thumbs definitely up 8)
Learner guitarist

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 01:40:06 PM »
ive got to say something about this  becos im not going to have people thinking bad things about me
i am a mother & have sons & the thought of them going of to war & coming home maimed & crippled & having to spend the rest or there life ruined is horiffic to me
i am also appaled at how gullible young people are  & adopt cliches & give them huge meaning when they have none (becos they dont realy know anything)

so thats whats in the  song...
 a young son
a big cliche
a war
the cliche gets horribly modified by war into a reality
& a ruined life

there is no humour & nothing to laugh about but loads to cry about
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)