Adam

• Busker
« on: June 19, 2012, 10:36:08 PM »
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:35:53 AM by Adam »

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 02:15:46 AM »
You have done a good job on this song. I would have like to have had the lyrics posted as it's much easier to comment on them if I can read them. Melody is great with very good seperation between verse and chorus. If I had a complaint it would be at times some of the vocal and the other instruments are drowned by the rhythym guitar. It seems it was left at a constant volume through the entire track when it might have been nice to see what it was like if it was pulled back for certain segments where there were other instruments or vocals to take on the mantle of the song.

Overall a real nice song and performed very well indeed. The guitar playing was most accomplished and the vocalist hit all the right notes and oozed character.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 10:52:03 AM »
good song... ;)

Adam

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 12:29:38 PM »
Hey thanks guys! I'll go back to the mix and have a play around with the guitars. Here are the lyrics as requested: 

Most evenings we drive around and watch the fuel gauge ticking down
Praying that its dark outside before the engine dies
Most of the time I’m barely here but now and then girl I could swear
I wake to find you frozen, asleep with your eyes open
This is nowhere calling
Static on the telephone line
A shimmer in the endless dark
A sudden burst of sound 
This is nowhere calling
Out across the bittersweet night
To the broken and the fallen this is nowhere calling
I always knew you’d come around when all your heroes let you down
I kept myself ablaze just long enough to turn you blind
I can’t help feeling something’s wrong but shake it off and move along
But there’s a shadow in the distance
Rolling thunder in the distance   
This is nowhere calling
A sudden burst of sound 
This is nowhere calling
Kids parked up in midnight fields their headlights pointed at the trees 
Golden sound from every stereo
It all seems so long ago now all those things we used to know
Got lost along the way in the slow parade of days   
I heard on the evening news that there’s a cyclone blowing through
I’m breaking all the windows and I’m taking off the doors 
So anything that’s not screwed down will get sucked up and hurled around   
To smash down somewhere different
So everything looks different 
This is nowhere calling
A sudden burst of sound 
This is nowhere calling

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 02:45:43 PM »
Excellent track....thought the harmonica worked well, you have a great voice. You are right to be really pleased with this.....I would be if I'd have written it ;D.....Loved it
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

atitlan

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »
I'm not surprised you're pleased with that. Between the solid guitar playing, the power of the chorus and the bits of harmonica here and there it grabbed and kept my interest ... and demanded another couple of listens.

Very good song.

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 06:15:07 PM »
wow I feel a lot better for having listened to that !!!! Melodic anthemic rock at its finest. Put me in mind of Wishbone Ash - but with good vocals and some extra oomph!!!! Love it - love love it!!! BTB

PS heading back for another listen.
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 07:13:58 PM »
is this recorded at home or in a studio?  i cant make my mind up
youve managed to get  a great sound evrything is realy clear but still keeps a big live rock sound aswell
i think a lot of work has gone into making this sound so good & its a very strong rock song
your voice is great but is it normaly like that or is it pushed in the red a bit to get that raspy sound?
great stuff adam!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Adam

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 08:45:53 PM »
Binladeda, atitlan, BTB: Thanks so much! Very very kind! Really is much appreciated!

Tina: Cheers! The music was recorded pretty much live. Some harmonica and guitar line overdubs. We have a little rehearsal space. We got tired of going into studios and watching money drain away as the clock ticked and then ending up with something we didn't like. So rather than book studios we decided to spend the money on some gear so that we wouldn't have to do that ever again. Now we can record as and when we want and take the time to get it how we want it to sound (for better or worse, haha). It was the best thing we ever did to be honest. It's just a matter of knowing the equipment. I've had my guitar rig for a long time now and I know it inside out, where the sweet spots are with the valve breakup and suchlike. Same goes for the other guys. As far as my voice goes, that is pretty much how it sounds. I sing pretty loud and I suppose I've learned over the years how to make that break up too. We do use a mastering guy though. It could be that you're hearing some light compression from him... :)   

Pez

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:42:33 PM »
great guitars and harmonica. that goes so well...voice is gritty, a tad nickelback in places.yeah this is wicked. productions leagues above mine. what a quality track. top stuff. hard to say anything bad about it. 

The Ocean Machine

• Busker
    • The Ocean Machine Youtube page
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:53:05 PM »
Hey Adam,

Great track. Chorus is deadly, 'static on the telephone line' - great line. Tapping my foot along to this before I knew it.

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »
Top notch ,class man loved the harmonica and guitar and vocals in fact everything . i'm going in for seconds  ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Adam

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 05:14:52 PM »
Thanks very much guys. Really is much appreciated!!!

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 10:24:07 PM »
good tune i like this like, i dig the harmonica, cool!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 12:11:23 AM »
The harp is ace on this, good harmonica player

I find this kind of tempo in heavy guitar rock songs a bit, well, ploddy, but to your credit you do a great job with it. The changes of section are lovely. Drums are tight as hell, great playing all round in fact

I like the filtered vocal on the exit going just out of time

I found your last song to have more of a pull, but this one is more original, and two songs in its clear your band have a range which is ALWAYS promising.

The lyrics have a good character. I like the line Golden sound from every stereo. Simple but effective imagery.

Good stuff overall

(NB<< your mastering/producer guy did an ace job on the last track. On this one however there seems to be digital artefacts on the guitar and some of the heavier vocal lines from, most likely, harsh compression settings; especially if he mastered from a stereo wav file with preset levels from your off desk mix. I find I often have to reduce distorted guitar lines when mastering as the mastering algorithms I employ bring guitar up nicely without "distorting" in the bad way, whereas "at desk level" they square off against the drum, giving this square digital clipping.

Its shame as everything else about the sound is lovely. This might be the raspiness Tina is referring to. Alas it is "bad" sound.

Do check it hasn't appeared during the transition from master to mp3 or mp3 to upload on soundcloud though. If so it might just be a case of changing how you import and/or upload to streaming services. Those pesky variables!!)

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk