konalavadome

How often do you write songs?

• 42 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »
@LimeDime

Bloody hell man. I say this with all due respect and kindness of heart...

I must have read you reference Eminem half a dozen times today already in different posts! Its cool to have a writer whom you look upto, but you are coming across as a bit of a fanboy, which is dangerous as it suggests a very narrow view of music. I hope this is merely coincidental, and your musical influences are indeed are broad as they are wide, but be careful of how you come across. I repeat, I say this respectfully and kind-heartedly  :)

JN
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Dutchbeat

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »
ok,

i am at an average of about 2 or 3 a month

but hey, i am a bit older

oh, ah, yes, we are talking about songwriting
of course

yeah ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:14:28 PM by Dutchbeat »

LiamDine

• Busker
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 12:04:45 AM »
Its just referance, I know a lot about his procces and work, shoot me.

A dozen times? Try 4 at most.

Maybe contribute instead of just saying unnecessary things?

Im not "sort of fan boy" I am a fan boy... And dam proud of it, I find it weird your not lol

I also said Tupac did that pass you by?

I dont need to be "careful how I come across" and I say this respectfully and kind heartedly what you or anyone else on this planet thinks of me means less than nothing to me :P

And if my knowlage is limited should that lower anyones opino of me as a person? I dont really want to talk to people who have an elitest mind set.

Once my refernces go off topic or are not relevant then feel free to point them out, untill thworry less about what people think of me, because i assure you im not in the slightest.

I happened to have Slim Shady LP on at the time, crime?

Little Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Busker
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 04:08:09 PM »
your not welcome here with that attitude liam..
end of..
you were warned by tone yesterday.
its a shame as you obviously have a good valid knowledge of your craft but you blow it by your aggression, its unnecessary & nothing musical about that.
your destroying what genuine value this forum could be to you,
respect from your peers is priceless..and to get some you need to show some..
unless you genuinly sort yourself out, its curtains mate..
do unto others as you would be done by

birdattack

• Busker
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 01:33:15 AM »
Shhh, guys. There is no need to be upset. No anger, only music now.
OT I write songs every. single. day. Get on my level, for real. I don't even try to anymore. My guitar just magically appears on my lap and I start playing it. Since I know zero theory and can't hear for shit I pretty much exclusively play my own stuff, can't be bothered with learning cover songs. That said I am neither studying nor working at the time being so it might be that. Not much else goin on but drinking, rehearsing, playing.
''can you play summer of 69'' - drunken mob at local pub gig after we'd played summer of 69 three times in a row

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 10:14:35 AM »
Over last 5 years I have written about 300 songs of those about 100 I never even bothered to record. Out of the remaining 200 about 130 have stayed on my computer as they just didnt cut the mustard. The remaining 70 I am pretty happy with but if the were to put on the world stage the number of good songs judged by the listening public would most likely be 0.

The point I make is that as long as you are writting thats all that matters. If I ever need encouragement I only need to listen to somethign I recorded a year or two back and I can hear the improvement. The more you do, the better you get.

But.... I neve, no never ever sit down and try to write without inspiration. It just doesnt happen for me. It might for you but it don't for me. I only write when I feel motivated and I have an idea. Sometimes that gives me two songs in a day sometimes a song a day for two weeks and sometimes nothing for a month. Its just the way it works for me.

Writting is a very personal thing and different for most people, I generally write and record all in the one process. and a song generally takes about 2 - 5 hours. As I work alone, I feel this gives me a sort of suedo collabarative approac as each instrument I lay down feeds on the other and its like getting ideas and inspiration from another band member.

cheers
Allan.

SimonOlder

• Busker
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 01:38:48 PM »
Life is just one big song writing sesh

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »
life is one big song..... ive reached the middle 8...only 2 choruses left >:(
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

rickd1

• Busker
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 07:58:49 PM »
It takes roughly 18 hours for us to complete a song. 3 hours each on instrumental, lyrics & melody, recording, vocal editing and mixing. This is done over 3 days, so realistically no more than one or two a week if your talking about 'from nothing to a full production'.

Rick
http://soundcloud.com/red-planet

friendlymountain

• Busker
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2012, 02:31:03 PM »
I've just recently started trying to write in the last month.
I work and have alot of evening committments at the moment, so I'm only putting in a few hours a week.
That means I lose the thread of inspiration and each time I listen to what I've done so far, I feel it needs changing..

hence a month later, I'm still on my first song and not particularly settled on any part of it.

I think I may well try to be a bit more brutal and just get through it over the next week, as I'm thinking that all these changes I'm constantly making could actually be my next song.

Saying that, I think that that also has its benefits, particularly if I ever do manage to finish the basics and get to fine tuning the sounds... Maybe longer breaks inbetween can give fresh ears??? I know that theory applies to many other things in life for me.

anthonyceseri

• Busker
    • Success For Your Songs
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2012, 07:37:09 PM »
In an interview in this month's Mojo Noel Gallagher claims to write about 60 songs a year. This set me off thinking on the whole line of, is it better to try and write five imperfect songs or one perfect one? I've heard too of people writing a song every day, which while very admirable does seem to me like it might be a bit counterproductive.
How often/many songs do you guys write? Has anyone heard of how many songs other great songwriters write?

The more you write, the better you'll be... so if you don't write all the "crappy" ones, you'll never get to that "perfect" one!...

evanjavo

• Open Mic
  • Just passing through.
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 09:28:07 PM »
For a while I just started with lyrics and just added music later, which isn't recommended for the most part.

But what I mostly do is start with some chords on the guitar and I usually come up with a verse or two, and then stop with the process and really think what I'm writing about. I might not come back to it for a while, or even sometimes start on a new song, but I constantly think and find influence to hopefully find inspiration to add to the song. As far as how many songs I write, it's not many but I would say about 10-12 a year, not including unfinished ideas. Writing songs is a very personal process so to me it means a lot to make a song to its full potential.

Hooky Hamza

• Busker
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2012, 10:37:51 PM »
I write stuff when it comes to me, although the memory aint what it used to be so i have a dictaphone handy....are they any good????? they are just words, thoughts, emotions i suppose....they can lay unused for months, years on end...sometimes they find a way into another idea for a song....what will be will be. If the hook is half decent, people dont seem to mind about the lyric......they are my songs/words. Anyone and everyone can take from them what they want,  it's free....I remember where i was when i wrote them and that's all i need to know.  ;)