konalavadome

How is everyone else using twitter, fb, etc,. In their marketing effort

• 13 Replies

rickd1

• Busker
« on: June 12, 2012, 05:58:46 PM »
Just wondering how everyone else uses these. I have noticed some musicians use twitter to push their links. Other use it just to post everyday normal things.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 06:42:03 PM »
Use both. Can't hurt! Alongside reverbnation, youtube and soundcloud (and if you must Myspace, but Myspace is a corpse nowadays).   

MAKE SURE you set up an artist page with Facebook though. It is a breach of the T&Cs to use a personal site to purely promote (though sharing links across your personal page is fine of course). Plus it is a much better way to interact:

-You can add apps to your facebook page with music and video from places such as soundcloud, reverbnation and youtube.
-Your page is open for anyone to see without having to friend you.
-You can collect likes/comments which will pop up on other peoples feeds - friends of those who like you - which will help your page go viral. Sometimes when I post new music/pictures I get likes from people that don't follow me, and/or they start following me for that very reason

Hints:

-Twitter is fine to tweet multiple times across the day. FB users are more easily irritated as their wall is more precious. Post daily at the very most, and keep posts succinct yet interesting and relevant. Twitter, feel free to be more frivolous, but don't take the piss.

-Be interesting/funny, if you aren't actually posting a new song/video/picture set. Make people WANT to see your posts, or they will unlike/unfollow you.

-Don't get disheartened by SOME dislikes/unfollows. People are fickle. I maybe lose 2 likes a week on fb at the mo, but I am gathering between 15 and 25, so look at the net win!

As always, the above is just my OPINION from my experiences. Hope it helps x

NB:
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter: @jamesnighthawk

Twitter @JamesNighthawk

rickd1

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:18:20 PM »
Thanks James.  That's really helpful.  I haven't got an artist fb page yet so I'll definitely set that up.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »
i have just followed you james on twitter!
at flossies suggestion i started using it as she uses it to promote her music but i cant seem to get going with it
i tweeted lots of things i thought would be interesting but nobody seemed interested so i deleted them all  i seemed to be talking to myself & i felt completely daft
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 11:34:04 PM »
Found you and follwed back Tina

@tinybyguitar

And from there I found Flossie!

@hewood

(btw: I tend to post new songs to twitter/facebook about a week or so before I post them on here, to see what my non-muso fans have to say, before letting you crazy-ravaging-lion-motherfukkas loose on it via the review board! Mwah ha ha) 
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 01:54:16 AM »
I've had that same feeling on Twitter, Tina, that I'm talking to no-one. I like an audience, or at least the impression of one. I imagine that if I were in a band that saw some success I'd start a Twitter for that band but outside of that I'd just feel like, well, a twit.

Facebook, however, is a magical land of sunshine and rainbows where people feel they can interact with the band and are more likely to 'like' a band's page so they can do exactly that. I always have a facebook page for any band I'm in (well, sort of. I don't have one for the band at present but that's because we don't have a name yet) because it's so much easier to promote, interact and share new music.

In summary. Twitter is good for a well known band saying 'off to the studio now' and 'back from the studio', facebook is good for saying 'here's some pictures of us in the studio today and here's a link to a demo of what we worked on'.

Myspace is good for...
*cough*
Defective Elector

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 04:34:00 AM »
Tend to agree. Facebook is great for informing people about where you are playing and putting up videos and tracks. Not only that, but it lets your audience interact with you about what they do or don't like about what your band is doing. I have plenty of gripes about it, but it definitely results in more people at gigs and it's well worth doing. Twitter seems to appeal to the worst excesses of social networking to me. I can see the point of it if you are Stephen Fry or someone like that - but it panders to the self-obsessed who think people actually care what they had for breakfast or whether they are tired. My main gripe about Facebook at the moment is the new timeline and the way it fills up on its own with irrelevant statistics - and in doing so, pushes the 'meat' of your page farther and farther down.

Here are the Facebook pages for my three main bands:

www.facebook.com/eden.uk1
www.facebook.com/thelizzards
www.facebook.com/mi3.uk

I Have one for my dog too. Now people actually are interested in what she's doing haha!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fuzzy-The-Dog/114447151977510
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:45:03 AM by estreet »
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 12:36:56 PM »
My main gripe about Facebook at the moment is the new timeline and the way it fills up on its own with irrelevant statistics - and in doing so, pushes the 'meat' of your page farther and farther down.

Totally agree with this. Timeline makes more sense, but not complete sense, for personal profiles. Band pages want the music, videos, gigs and recent news to be top headers. Not filler numbers, likes etc. Hopefully fb will cotton on and juggle things around

Twitter... I tried twitter about 18months ago and just didn't get it.

I started again in January. This time round I added more real life friends, and some good comedians, to start. It became a fun little thing, sharing messages with my pals while reading funny quips on my twitter wall. Then I added bands I liked, found a few pre-sale gig tickets that way. Then I added other musicians from muso sites. And it is slowly snowballing into a decent network for me. Twitter is very different to facebook, for me, the tweets can be more throwaway so people have more fun there. It's hard to explain exactly. But the vibe is different and I use it in a far less "controlled" way to facebook.

People often like their fb to be friends and family, and twitter to be everyone and anyone. I know people who are very reserved on fb, but foul mouthed and hilarious on twitter, because Auntie Meryll isn't on twitter and thus won't disapprove ;)
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 07:56:29 PM »
I think a lot of people completely miss the point of twitter - I find it a really fun and useful network, and one that I enjoy using much more than facebook.

Sure, it takes a bit more thought to post something meaningful and share-worthy on twitter, but I like that challenge. And because it's completely open, and not tied to confirmed friendships or links between accounts, it has the potential to send something viral.

So for your band, you could give away tickets to one of your gigs, and post the link on twitter. Chances are, it will reach people in your area who don't know about you, some of whom may come to your gig.

Plus, it's potential for anonymity (if that's your thing) means you get a lot more honesty on twitter.

Sure, you have to choose who to follow really carefully, but if you choose well, it's a really rewarding place to hang out.

For me, it's divided like this: use twitter to build an online 'brand' - over time people get a sense of your personality, and it's very informal. Anyone can talk to anyone, and it's a great place to expand your network.

Facebook is better for keeping in touch with the people you know in real life, and if you can stomach the endlessly-banal status updates of some of your friends, it has potential. Personally, I only really use it for the live chat function. Other than that, I prefer email.

If you fancy following my (usually quite ridiculous) tweets, hit me up @notbanksy :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 09:30:49 PM »
I enjoy ridiculous tweets.

Duly followed :)
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »
Yup,

Ive followed you too! ;)

James I have only just started using Twitter again.  I signed up three years ago when I was in PR and tweeted 3 times gave up and now I'm back!

I think it could be useful, I'm not sure, but I think in terms of promoting yourself these days you've got to get involved with social media sites  ::)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 05:11:27 PM »
Joined twitter twice and deleted my account twice...time waster.

rickd1

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 02:05:19 PM »
I think for bands, facebook seems amazing but not so much for producers.  Twitter seems to be great for established artists/producers who can use it to tweet about anything just to let their followers know that they are still alive!  Using Twitter to promote yourself just doesn't seeem to work though.

Rick
http://soundcloud.com/red-planet

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 09:20:51 AM »
well i probably wont go as far as uploading songs to soundcloud and doing buskers but recently i thought i would set up a facebook page, pretty cool how ya can link soundcloud to facebook so when a songs uploaded a link automatically gets sent to your facebook page!

anyhow if theres any people who's kind enough to like me page then here you go

http://www.facebook.com/pages/man-of-simple-pleasures/451266454893967

cheers, been a while since i got a new song up but there will be soon!

fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks