Adam

• Busker
« on: June 12, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »
///
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:37:22 AM by Adam »

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:52:14 PM »
excellent vocals !! recording sounds good on my headphones (but i know nothing)
nice one  ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

shucky2011

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »
Great song mate. Epic guitar playing. Wish I could play like that

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »
Great production on this. Sound like a band playing live. Is that how it was recorded (In a studio) or have you achieved this at home?
Sounds great I must say. Good pop/rock. :)
My only suggestion would be to raise the vocals slightly in the mix when all the guitars are all in. The vocals are great I thought but a touch quiet
when everything is playing. It could just be my headphones though  :)
Good song :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »
This was great!!
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 06:59:18 PM »
hey this rocks! i dont know what a P90 is but it obviously realy rocks
& i definately need 1 ...or a pair ...or a matching set....or a lifetimes supply! ;D

a great vocal & a great rock song
yes this rocks like waynes world when there in the car & bohemian rapsody comes on!   ;D

Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:43:58 PM »
This is very "Foos" to me - I am hearing elements of a few of their tracks in this but not enough to name them so I think you are good to go!

The chorus hook is not really grabbing me as I find the repetition of ship a bit "clumsy"

The live feeling and energy is great though and I would love to be in a bar and see you performing this one

I bet it goes down a storm live!

Great job and I can't wait to hear more!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 11:14:25 PM »
This reminds me hugely of Bruce Springsteen, or more currently, The Gaslight Anthem, whose singer and guitarist seem to be wanting to rekindle the Springsteen vibes for the current generation. Stepped up a few BPM and with extra grit

The repeating melody that Boydie is mentioning really works for me, and is something The Gaslight Anthem do all the time.

The break to the chorus at 2.14
The vocal
The drumming style
The guitar layering
The ooohs

All of this is Screaming Gaslight more I listen. But I am loving in despite/because of this

If you know them you'll understand my comparison. If not, I'd go listen

BUT...this isnt a flat out apeing. Its just very reminiscent.

Great playing from the whole band and ace vibes.

NB, welcome to the forum. Get stuck in reviewing and discussing with others if you haven't already, its all about sharing here :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 11:17:31 PM »
Terrific, i too would like to know how this recorded
Learner guitarist

Adam

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 11:34:05 PM »
Hey folks! Thanks so much for the warm responses!

Andy, Shucky and Greedo:Really appreciated! Too kind!  

Schavuitje: Thanks man! It was cut pretty much live. Minimal guitar overdubs. Used a mastering engineer that we know who is really good at coaxing punch out of mixes without compressing out all the dynamics/clipping the highs. Bit of a black art, the ol' mastering! The vocal level is always a challenge. Personally I like the vocals to just sit in the mix without poking through. In a way it tricks the ear into hearing the band as sounding more gutsy. If that makes any sense....

tinam: P90s? Pickups of the gods. As I recall the left guitar channel is a Telecaster with Texas Specials but the right channel is a Les Paul Junior. Essentially a big lump of wood with a single P90 pickup in the bridge. Really pleased you like it!

Boydie: Thanks man! I don't have any Foo Fighters records but I like some of their songs. It's rock'n'roll! We're sixty years in! Everything sounds like something and, y'know, I can live with the Foo Fighters reference. They seem to be doing okay for themselves! :) The chorus is repetitive but in mitigation I switch from 'ship' to 'shit' for the second half :)

Not backsliding on doing my own review responses but I never tried to critique anyone else's stuff before and, damn and blast, it's hard. Although this is probably because I don't really know what the blazes I'm doing with my own stuff most of the time, let alone tell anyone else what they should be doing with theirs. Anyway, I promise I'll do better with that....

What a great bunch of folks!          

Adam

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 11:35:33 PM »
Sorry guys. Cross-over with James' and Jim's posts. I'll go back and respond....:)

Adam

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 11:48:48 PM »
James: Springsteen? Huge touchstone. I'll take that as high praise if it's all the same to you ;) Gaslight? I like '59 Sound okay. Let's be under no illusions here. Our stuff reinvents no wheels whatsoever. We came up playing multi-band bills, typically twenty or thirty minute sets in dirty, sweaty clubs. That probably says a lot about how we sound. Every one of your observations is spot-on. You obviously know your onions :)

Jim: What would you like to know about how it was recorded? I'll tell you anything I can!   

faero

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 11:48:17 PM »
Really interesting way of putting a track down - bags of energy and really tightly played.  Drums sound epic as do the guitars - and have that nice semi live feel to it.
My comments- generally repeating the above:
I'd say the vocals need to come up a bit though?  And the bass seems a bit timid.  But that's just a mix decision I guess.

Main thing that hits me is the 'ships gone down' which sounds rushed and heavily repeated inside each chorus - And I can hear a bit of a struggle to fit the words in time on some bits where 'ships gone down' is at it's peak :)   .   If I heard it on the radio I would be utterly convinced it was Foo Fighters well into the 1st verse - but that's no bad thing.

Really enjoyed  though - (the above is meant to be constructive in the bits that stick out)  - and great to hear what sounds like an entire band playing instead of a bedroom recording (this being aimed at me)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:51:27 PM by faero »

Adam

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 12:52:14 AM »
Hey faero! It's all good. Yes indeed. Mix decisions are tough. You pump one instrument up and everything else shrinks. You're right, the lines in the chorus are rushed and heavily repeated. The idea was that the protagonist is trying to justify themselves given the fact that everything's gone to shit. As I've said I have no issues with the FF comparison. My voice is what it is. The band is what it is. That's the sound we make. You crank it up and try to capture something while enjoying the experience. I'm really pleased you found something to enjoy in there too. Nothing wrong with bedroom recordings, though! Wow though, this level of scrutiny is a new one on me. Really makes you think hard about what you're doing. Which I suppose must be a good thing.  
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:51:14 AM by Adam »

faero

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 12:24:43 PM »
Actually - since I joined the forum I note that the better the song the more 'picky' the comments as those small elements are the only things left to comment on - but that's what the forum is for.
Family/wives/friends are handy for feedback but the average of comments on the forum is generally neutral and honest which is what we need.
So far it's completely changed the way I put a song together....