modern rock chords

• 4 Replies

chris_alker

• Busker
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:12:45 PM »
I have recently started to teach myself music theory. and have been reading books and learning the basics (chords and scales) and about keys and the circle of fifths. So I have a basic understanding of music theory.

while learning i have noticed there isn't a great deal of information on how modern rock and alternative songs are written and the theory behind them I know that power chords and barre chords are used quite a lot in modern music, but power chords can sound rather bland and slightly boring on their own and I was wondering what I could play with the power chords to make them sound bigger and a bit more interesting and make them stand out more. I have a few examples of what i mean;

In the chorus of this song it sounds like there is one guitar playing chords lower down and then it sounds like the other guitarist is playing some chords but higher up on the fret board are they octaves? this is the kind of sound I am looking for i just don"t know how to really get there. what kind of chords should i be using?

another example is in the chorus of this song;

&feature=relmfu

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:45:36 PM »
To get that "rocky feel" the "power chords" are actually called "5ths" - e.g. A5, D5, etc.

A normal chord is made up of a triad of notes (i.e. 3 notes)

To keep things simple we will stick to chord of C

A "C Major" chord would have the following notes: Root = C, Third = E, Fifth = G - this creates a "happy" sounding chord

A "C Minor" chord would have the following notes: Root = C, Flattened Third = Eb, Fifth = G - this creates a "sad" sounding chord

The rocky "5th chord" (often referred to as a "power chord") is made up of only 2 notes - the root note of the chord and the 5th note

As this chord excludes the 3rd note it can work well over a major or minor chord so you can move it around the fret board quite easily - if in doubt play a 5th chord is a good get out of jail card when depping in a band!

To achieve what you want you need to learn different positions on the fretboard to play these types of chords

Sticking with the C example you can play a C5 chord in the following positions:

Root = 5th string 3rd fret
5th = 4th string 5th fret

Root = 6th string 8th fret
5th = 5th string 10th fret

Root = 4th string 10th fret
5th = 3rd string 12th fret

Root = 3rd string 5th fret
5th = 2nd string 8th fret

Root = 2nd string 1st fret
5th = 1st string 3rd fret

As long as you keep the shapes the same you can move them around the fretboard to get the desired chord and “sound” you want

Rock songs are often made up of layers of these types of chords to give that “big sound” with each different layer being EQ’d slightly differently and different effects, levels of overdrive etc.

I find that having the root note on the 5th string gives a good “tone”

The other thing to bear in mind is that some bands tune the guitars down a bit, which can give a characteristic “growl”

Experiment with these shapes and then feel free to come back and we can help you with the next bit

Good luck!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

chris_alker

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 08:56:49 PM »
hi there

thank you very much for you're help. Im ok with playing the power chords and i am confident with playing them all. Its more that I want to add a bit more character to them if your get me

Is alot of this done in the recording/mixing process. would what i mentioned before about playing the same power chords but at different places on the fret board add a bit of character to the progression. I have tried playing octaves over the progression but I find them on their own with the power chords can sound a bit pop punky.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 09:56:18 PM »
would what i mentioned before about playing the same power chords but at different places on the fret board add a bit of character to the progression

Yes - I find that playing barre chords with the root note on the D string can work nicely with a lower chord played with the root on the E or A string

I would also suggest experimenting with incorporating open strings into your chord shapes further up the neck - the combination of open and fretted notes can sound really great
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Nathaniel James

• Busker
    • Nathaniel James
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 04:18:01 PM »
Chris I would suggest playing full Barre chords so you can add the appropriate 3rd's to hear the differences between the major and minor chords in whatever song you are playing.

My personal opinion is that Power Chords get really boring really quickly.
You mention that playing octaves over the power chords sounds pop punky, but pretty much every pop punk band plays power chords, and that's why a lot of them sound very similar.

Not trying to slag off this type of music, some of it can be good, and I admire the fact that you are trying to find ways of making it more unique and interesting.

In terms of lead 'higher up fretboard' tones, try picking out triads on high frets on strings 1,2, & 3.