konalavadome

fount a free online songwriters course

• 7 Replies

british anarchy

• Busker
« on: August 19, 2010, 07:33:47 PM »
iv not had a proper look at this yet just thought ill post it if anyone else is intrested

http://www.berkleemusic.com/welcome/berklee-songwriting?pid=3359
British anarchy,is her to stay
worse than world war 1 2 infinity

geebiz

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 01:10:32 PM »
Berklee's a good course apparently but it's not free (you get a free sample I think but not the full whack).

Does anyone know of any other good online songwriting courses? The choices seem really limited and I'm sick of trawling through those vague "Hints and Tips" websites. Mostly a load of pap.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 01:56:08 PM »
@geebiz welcome to the forum :)

To be honest, I'm an advocate of the old fashioned method of learning songwriting: listen to lots of good songs and learn how to play them. Dissect them and in time you'll pick up what makes a song work and what's interesting.

I think there are some things you can learn by doing a course such as this but they're no substitute for simple practise.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

jimbles

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 04:50:19 PM »
I don't think there's a definite way to learn if I'm honest.

Many people use different techniques, as it is with everything in life.

Tones technique is different to mine so to say, as I just pick up a pen/pencil and I'm away on a song.

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:25:40 PM »
I agree with Tone, If you want to be a songwriter, then sit down and practice... a lot. No-one can teach you how to be a good songwriter, if they could it would mean that there's a formula, and there's definitely not.

You will get there on your own IF you put the time and effort in.

british anarchy

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 10:07:32 PM »
now iv decided to just stick with hip hop / rap im listening to a lot of up and comers like mac miller devlin both have recently just got signed and dropped their first album but for th bst lyric writer you have to look at every single marchel matters songs aka eminem

British anarchy,is her to stay
worse than world war 1 2 infinity

geebiz

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 01:38:18 PM »
tone (and everyone)  I completely agree with you - trying to teach songwriting is pretty pointless (although a bit of music theory might not hurt me). but it's not so much songwriting methods i'm after as some kind of structure that makes me write and real feedback from people who are unbiased. I suffer from the classic "I'll do it tomorrow" syndrome so a course that gives me deadlines would be right up my alley.

I'm also looking for co-writers a bit further afield than my tiny town...

I suppose real songwriters like you guys don't need that kind of help! I'm quite a beginner and feel like a need a leg up.
Any suggestions?

jimbles

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 02:34:34 PM »
tone (and everyone)  I completely agree with you - trying to teach songwriting is pretty pointless (although a bit of music theory might not hurt me). but it's not so much songwriting methods i'm after as some kind of structure that makes me write and real feedback from people who are unbiased. I suffer from the classic "I'll do it tomorrow" syndrome so a course that gives me deadlines would be right up my alley.

I'm also looking for co-writers a bit further afield than my tiny town...

I suppose real songwriters like you guys don't need that kind of help! I'm quite a beginner and feel like a need a leg up.
Any suggestions?

we aren't brilliant songwriters!

Where are you from?

If you're not too far from me I'd be a co-writer with you, I don't mind :)