No holds barred - speak your mind, because the forum is in trouble

• 63 Replies

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »
Tina. You are not to blame at all.
You are simply one of the good people who hate to see this place abused and are not afraid to speak your mind.
All you did weas ask Sjoerd why you should bother to waste your time on his post when he NEVER spend time on anyone else.
A very fair question and one that should be asked of members who only take.

I mean let's get real here. It's not a lot that is being asked.
A system that worked for a long time isn't working so great anymore. People who in the past got the message. Don't anymore.
We all had the same way of dealing with these selfish people and it worked.
Now they come here, and instead of everyone being united in guiding them towards integrating or ignoring them.
A Forum is a community.
Why join a community to not take any other part than to take?
If you were in a pub having some drinks with your mates and everytime it was time fro a round, some starnger walked over to get his pint and then left again, doesn't join in with the group... doesn't join in the conversation, how would you react to that? I'm, going to guarrantee that you will tell this stranger who only arrives in your group when their is a free pint being handed over to piss off!
Maybe it's because a pint costs money I think everyone would react differently.
Well getting a review costs others people TIME.

No one is asking for this place to become cold or angry.
This place has always tried to get people to behave more socially and not selfishly. Nothing has changed there. No one is asking for anything new.
But a lot of the newer memebers are ignoring this. Not only are they not working together with the whole ethos of the foums - which is participation, they seem to be actively
working against it. The review these selfish people without any mention of how we like people to join in on other peoples threads to make things fair.
This is what is making some longer term members angry.

The message of fairness is a good one. The message of not being selfish is a good one, but it seems SONGSTHATCRY, that the newer members have their own agenda. Out with the old in with the new. Well I despise that view. You give no worth to some of the beautiful long term supportive members.
I agree with one thing you say which is that whether you are a newer member or an older member, there should be equality. You are right. But this is precisely what this is about.
People not being equal. People not giving and only taking is not equal is it. But the newer members (someof them) are not supporting the idea's that have long been the basis of this forum.
And to be fair the longer term members who have given an incredible amount to this forum and have always strived to welcome new people and get them to integrate are now being ignored.
They don't deserve this. Yes things should be equal. But when you have given so much you have a right to a bit more respect for what you have given.

Let's think about what is being asked!

That new members are given time.
We all know that joining in is a big step for some people.
No one is suggesting that people are jumped on straight away.
What is being suggested is that Newcomers are all given the benefit of doubt.
That we help to EASE them into the forumand the spirit of it.
That we give gentle nudges in the right direction.
That we continue to review necomers whether they review or not AT FIRST.
That longer term members who take no heed of the gentle nudging, who return time after time for their own selfish needs are dealt with.
It's not a massive shake-up. It's a few small changes to help a forum that is evolving.
What would happen if all the members who do most of the reviewing only started to post their own songs and not review anyone else.
Is it impossible for people to see that that is wrong? How long would people put up with it?
So why should we put up with it from anyone else.

If so I suggest we change this from a forum to a FREE SONG REVIEW SERVICE.

I'm sorry to see Kaf go and I'm sorry to see Tina go and after this debate I'll be going too.
No metter how you disguise it, selfishness is what it is and I am not willing to put up with people who abuse others.
I am for community, respect, support, friendship and everything that makes a community great. Those who don't wish to give back  and here's the most important part, CONINUALLY, should be ignored. NOt encouraged to carry on that selfish behaviour by being given what they came for.

James you were right to post your polite, well mannered nudge :)
Tina you are right to challenge these unbelievably selfish people :)
You too Songsmith :)
And everyone else who gives their time so generously just to have it abused. I suggest you all only post your own stuff and leave everyone else's and see what happens.
I wonder if everyone will just keep quite about it or whether there will be further uproar?

I don't understand people who use the LAME excuse that their time is limited. Too many things to do in real life.
Oh really. Well you have time to write the song, work on and record it.
We all have lives. Some busier than others. And we all have sad stories. My dads got alzheimers so that means I should be selfish. Sorry that arguement doesn't work.
If you have time to create songs you have time to spare just a little for other people. they have busy live too but they post on your stuff!

Tone himself tries to encourage people not to behave in this selfish manner. The guidelines point this out too. And many of the members try to point this out to new members too.
So most people clearly believe in it. But what happenes when someone basically says that they don't care? What happenes when someone ignores all this advice and return time after time.
Are you new members (some of you) helping us in trying to keep the forums a fair place? No you are not.

It's not about controlling people. It's about all joining together to KEEP this forum a great place for those who choose to GIVE as well as take. It's about justice and fairness and what is right.

And this is by no means about music. I post songs on here much less frquently than other people. The last I posted was some old songs that I put in one thread.
Plus my music is only for my own pleasure and not for gigging or trying to "make it".
It is purely about fairness and what is acceptable behaviour to accept from someone.
I'm sick of seeing in life, the selfish, the rude, the bullies win. I am standing up for what is right and I will defend it and the people who also stand up for it.

Or do we live in a country where the freedom to defend what is right has been taken away? Where we better just shut our mouths and put up with the arseholes?
Yeah right.
We learn it as children. GIVE and take.
That this whole thread has to happen in the first place and common sense can't be used to deal with the abusers is a joke.

There have been numerous occassions where some of the members who actually care about being abused have spoken to the abusers but these days we are constantly
undermined by SOME of the new members who instead of supporting the idea of give and take, allow the takers to take.
I think it is incredibly selfish to join a forum and then swim against the tide of what the majority of the forum holds dear.
It's not going to stop.
Nothing will get done about the abusers and the people who help them rather than supporting the ethos of the forum.
That's why I'm checking out.
In life there is equality. Yes. But there is also common sense. You don't join a group and then immediately think your way and your say should count as much as peoples who have already proved themselves.
It takes time to be accepted into a group. That just doesn't happen in real life. You should respect that although everyone is equal, you can't just join a group that is new to you
and start upsetting the apple cart.
I'm leaving because I no longer wish to be a giver. I no longer wish to give to anyone who behaves selfishly or SUPPORTS the selfish people.
I would stay and just post my own songs for review but I don't think that would go down very well. WHICH IS THE POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wake up.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:55:29 PM by Schavuitje »
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »
Wow.

A welcome email (glad you all like that idea :)) and limiting each member to one or two songs a week with a bit of coding would probably solve 95% of these issues and get the forum  back to solid ground.

James xx

Agreed - It's got to be worth trying just that and seeing if it gets better. What harm can it do? If it doesn't work then it's a rethink.

Yes I agree with this too. Lets hope it works. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »
Tina. You are not to blame at all.
You are simply one of the good people who hate to see this place abused and are not afraid to speak your mind.
All you did weas ask Sjoerd why you should bother to waste your time on his post when he NEVER spend time on anyone else.
A very fair question and one that should be asked of members who only take.

I mean let's get real here. It's not a lot that is being asked.
A system that worked for a long time isn't working so great anymore. People who in the past got the message. Don't anymore.
We all had the same way of dealing with these selfish people and it worked.
Now they come here, and instead of everyone being united in guiding them towards integrating or ignoring them.
A Forum is a community.
Why join a community to not take any other part than to take?
If you were in a pub having some drinks with your mates and everytime it was time fro a round, some starnger walked over to get his pint and then left again, doesn't join in with the group... doesn't join in the conversation, how would you react to that? I'm, going to guarrantee that you will tell this stranger who only arrives in your group when their is a free pint being handed over to piss off!
Maybe it's because a pint costs money I think everyone would react differently.
Well getting a review costs others people TIME.

No one is asking for this place to become cold or angry.
This place has always tried to get people to behave more socially and not selfishly. Nothing has changed there. No one is asking for anything new.
But a lot of the newer memebers are ignoring this. Not only are they not working together with the whole ethos of the foums - which is participation, they seem to be actively
working against it. The review these selfish people without any mention of how we like people to join in on other peoples threads to make things fair.
This is what is making some longer term members angry.

The message of fairness is a good one. The message of not being selfish is a good one, but it seems SONGSTHATCRY, that the newer members have their own agenda. Out with the old in with the new. Well I despise that view. You give no worth to some of the beautiful long term supportive members.
I agree with one thing you say which is that whether you are a newer member or an older member, there should be equality. You are right. But this is precisely what this is about.
People not being equal. People not giving and only taking is not equal is it. But the newer members (someof them) are not supporting the idea's that have long been the basis of this forum.
And to be fair the longer term members who have given an incredible amount to this forum and have always strived to welcome new people and get them to integrate are now being ignored.
They don't deserve this. Yes things should be equal. But when you have given so much you have a right to a bit more respect for what you have given.

Let's think about what is being asked!

That new members are given time.
We all know that joining in is a big step for some people.
No one is suggesting that people are jumped on straight away.
What is being suggested is that Newcomers are all given the benefit of doubt.
That we help to EASE them into the forumand the spirit of it.
That we give gentle nudges in the right direction.
That we continue to review necomers whether they review or not AT FIRST.
That longer term members who take no heed of the gentle nudging, who return time after time for their own selfish needs are dealt with.
It's not a massive shake-up. It's a few small changes to help a forum that is evolving.
What would happen if all the members who do most of the reviewing only started to post their own songs and not review anyone else.
Is it impossible for people to see that that is wrong? How long would people put up with it?
So why should we put up with it from anyone else.

If so I suggest we change this from a forum to a FREE SONG REVIEW SERVICE.

I'm sorry to see Kaf go and I'm sorry to see Tina go and after this debate I'll be going too.
No metter how you disguise it, selfishness is what it is and I am not willing to put up with people who abuse others.
I am for community, respect, support, friendship and everything that makes a community great. Those who don't wish to give back  and here's the most important part, CONINUALLY, should be ignored. NOt encouraged to carry on that selfish behaviour by being given what they came for.

James you were right to post your polite, well mannered nudge :)
Tina you are right to challenge these unbelievably selfish people :)
You too Songsmith :)
And everyone else who gives their time so generously just to have it abused. I suggest you all only post your own stuff and leave everyone else's and see what happens.
I wonder if everyone will just keep quite about it or whether there will be further uproar?

I don't understand people who use the LAME excuse that their time is limited. Too many things to do in real life.
Oh really. Well you have time to write the song, work on and record it.
We all have lives. Some busier than others. And we all have sad stories. My dads got alzheimers so that means I should be selfish. Sorry that arguement doesn't work.
If you have time to create songs you have time to spare just a little for other people. they have busy live too but they post on your stuff!

Tone himself tries to encourage people not to behave in this selfish manner. The guidelines point this out too. And many of the members try to point this out to new members too.
So most people clearly believe in it. But what happenes when someone basically says that they don't care? What happenes when someone ignores all this advice and return time after time.
Are you new members (some of you) helping us in trying to keep the forums a fair place? No you are not.

It's not about controlling people. It's about all joining together to KEEP this forum a great place for those who choose to GIVE as well as take. It's about justice and fairness and what is right.

And this is by no means about music. I post songs on here much less frquently than other people. The last I posted was some old songs that I put in one thread.
Plus my music is only for my own pleasure and not for gigging or trying to "make it".
It is purely about fairness and what is acceptable behaviour to accept from someone.
I'm sick of seeing in life, the selfish, the rude, the bullies win. I am standing up for what is right and I will defend it and the people who also stand up for it.

Or do we live in a country where the freedom to defend what is right has been taken away? Where we better just shut our mouths and put up with the arseholes?
Yeah right.
We learn it as children. GIVE and take.
That this whole thread has to happen in the first place and common sense can't be used to deal with the abusers is a joke.

There have been numerous occassions where some of the members who actually care about being abused have spoken to the abusers but these days we are constantly
undermined by SOME of the new members who instead of supporting the idea of give and take, allow the takers to take.
I think it is incredibly selfish to join a forum and then swim against the tide of what the majority of the forum holds dear.
It's not going to stop.
Nothing will get done about the abusers and the people who help them rather than supporting the ethos of the forum.
That's why I'm checking out.
In life there is equality. Yes. But there is also common sense. You don't join a group and then immediately think your way and your say should count as much as peoples who have already proved themselves.
It takes time to be accepted into a group. That just doesn't happen in real life. You should respect that although everyone is equal, you can't just join a group that is new to you
and start upsetting the apple cart.
I'm leaving because I no longer wish to be a giver. I no longer wish to give to anyone who behaves selfishly or SUPPORTS the selfish people.
I would stay and just post my own songs for review but I don't think that would go down very well. WHICH IS THE POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wake up.

Can we have this in writing!

You mate are the biggest bully on here.....swearing , threatening..i actually think your mentally ill!!!

Frankly this as gone past the ridiculous finish line and then some..

TONE..you have clear decisions to make now...if you want your old buddies back..and i think they will be back.

devise a new system that ensures peeps songs stay in the limelight..its not really about commenting is it..........if you visit a shop twice a yea,r your not told your a worse customer than someone who`s a regular shopper?

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2012, 04:46:59 PM »
This isn't a shop is it though?
You don't buy things here. If people came in to pay money for what they recieve that would be different.
This isn't a shop. It is a community. It requires people to behave in a giving as well as taking manner, otherwise it doesn't work.
That is the whole principle that makes it work.
If it were a shop this discussion wouldn't be being had.
The truth is that MOST people don't see or treat this place like a shop. MOST people follow the guidlines and participate.
And MOST people agree with the guidlines that have been set for this forum by its owner Tone.
We believe that a certain amount of participation is needed. Otherwise Tone wouldn't put those guidelines up. Otherwise
none of us would try to get people to follow the guidlines.
Are you saying Tone is wrong? That the majority here are wrong?
You should be supporting us as a much newer member. You should be helping us to get this message across so that this community can grow with many new
and valuable members who hlep it to grow by joining in. Not giving abusers of the forums a reason to keep on abusing.
Estreet, BTB, James and quite a few others are relatively new members and they are just as equal and valued as anyone else here. It doesn't matter how
long they have been here. What matters is that they have ALL entered into the spirit of the place.
It doesn't even matter if you can't get on very often. Some people are busier than others. What matters is that when you do get the chance, that it isn't always for yourself.
This is a community not a shop.

There is a big flaw in your agruement if you consider this place to be like a shop.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Kafla

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2012, 07:52:58 AM »
Well I'm back ! I never knew so many people cared - thanks for all the messages :D

And without risk of inflaming the situation I think this needs to be said -

The MAJORITY do not want change. The MAJORITY have politely kept quiet while a MINORITY have hijacked this forum with aggression and railroaded tone into thinking that the forum needs to change.

The MAJORITY do not care if someone posts 3 songs in a week, they also do not care if someone posts no reviews - they know that eventually that person will get no reviews - I have been here longer than most - it seriously works

James - I apologise if I directly offended you, you are a lovely guy - can we not see past guidelines ( not rules ) when someone posts something really personal. Where has the perspective gone. I completely undertand you meant no harm but I do not have had the heart to do that. Yes Florida mike posted 3 songs quickly but he reviews about 15 so he was definetely giving more than taking.

Schavu - again I think you are a lovely guy but your arguments are ridiculous and so aggressive it makes me sick - sorry mate. You talk about this forum as being your house, a pub then slaughter someone for saying its like a shop. It's neither of those things - its an internet forum - the best one at the Internet at that, I hope you can see that you have let yourself down big time. I also hope you give yourself time to calm down and think before you respond to this. I want you on this forum and extend the hand of friendship to you but i cannot stand back any more and advocate your vicious attacks.

From now on I will post on what the hell I like and don't care if Im attacked by the minority or accused of being a liberal.

This forum was here long before me and definetely before the minority who have now hijacked it.

If any changes are needed they are very, very minor. Perhaps all thats needed is an anonymous report button so we can ban members who threaten , bully , intimidate , belittle others who are just going about their business , particularly new members who are finding their way in the forum.

I hope I have been polite in this and apologise if I have not. I think it needs to be said.

Can we please get back to the music?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:02:46 AM by Kafla »

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2012, 08:09:40 AM »
Alright...

I agree with Schav's mentality. Not his language, not his analogies, not his exact ideas. He has the right mentality behind it though, we do need some sort of stricter rule system. Not too much stricter, mind. In fact not very strict at all compared to pretty much every forum out there. We basically need it to be in the rules that those who do not contribute in return will get their threads locked and viola, issue resolved.

No-one can exist without rules. Those who consider themselves the 'old guard' have a fairly matching set of intrinsic rules they're applying to this forum, the give-and-take sort of thing. This works. There's people here who don't have those intrinsic rules. We need to make them extrinsic rules in that case. If they won't go with the way that works then we need to make it imperative that they do.

It's not fascism, guys, let's all settle down about having an extra rule or two in place and enforced.

On a side note:
KAFLA YOU CAME BACK :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Defective Elector

Kafla

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2012, 08:13:40 AM »
Cheers Corsair,

I appreciate it mate ;D

Kafla

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2012, 08:22:02 AM »
Oh and another thing -

Your membership of this forum cannot be determined exclusively by your activity -

I have recently produced a song for Mr Chainshaw, one for Tinam

I am working on a new collab with Paul

I have about 4 on the go with Dutchbeat

Estreet is helping me with some guitar and bass on one of my songs

All these things prevent me being on the forum but it's important forum business  ;D

For me this is the true strength and power of the forum  :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2012, 08:26:06 AM »
+1 to what Corsair has said above

Most importantly, welcomr back KAFLA - it took guts to come back and I glad you have

I thought it might be useful to list some of the ideas in this thread that have jumped out:

- Clarifying some simple RULES that can be "enforced" with carrots and not sticks ( well, to start with anyway  ;))

- A welcome email welcoming new members and laying out the rules, values and etiquette of the forums

- Some moderators to police the rules and/or a report button - allowing TONE or the moderators to resolve issues

- if this is in place I also think there should be a "rule" that only TONE and the moderators can reprimand offenders - if anyone else has an issue they can just stop reviewing that person and report them - there should be no " mob justice" to prevent bullying, negative atmospheres etc.

These are my ideas for the pot having read this thread
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2012, 09:12:09 AM »

Most importantly, welcomr back KAFLA - it took guts to come back and I glad you have

I thought it might be useful to list some of the ideas in this thread that have jumped out:

- Clarifying some simple RULES that can be "enforced" with carrots and not sticks ( well, to start with anyway  ;))

- A welcome email welcoming new members and laying out the rules, values and etiquette of the forums

- Some moderators to police the rules and/or a report button - allowing TONE or the moderators to resolve issues

- if this is in place I also think there should be a "rule" that only TONE and the moderators can reprimand offenders - if anyone else has an issue they can just stop reviewing that person and report them - there should be no " mob justice" to prevent bullying, negative atmospheres etc.

I vote for this :D
Defective Elector

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2012, 09:21:16 AM »
Kaf, we'll just have to agree to dissagree. The pub analogy (although of course you are right, this isn't a pub either.) is much closer to what happens
than seeing this place as a shop.
And yes I agree about what has worked for a long time. I have been here for a long time too. And I have always been happy about how things worked up until recently.
It HAS changed.
When Tina posts a reply to Sjoerd asking why she should take the time to review him when he blatantly ignores everyone else. That is a fair question to ask.
It is RIGHT to challenge people on their selfish behaviour. People do it all the time in "real life".
When then one of the newer members undermines her as a member by reacting so flippantly about something that obviously bothers her and more people here it is dis-respectful to her.
She is my friend and so when I see a friend being disrespected I will jump in and defend that friend and if someone is being disrespectful, I probably won't be very nice about it either.
And you are wrong about the majority too.
If the majority don't see it as something that needs sorting out, gently, because I agree it is only minor changes that are needed, then why are people looking for solutions?
I differential myself from a bully in the way that I only ever lose my cool when people are disrespectful to my friends or for instance when I am called a wanker. Like I was
in the recent past. I was appologised to over that by the person who said it but not before I reacted strongly.
If you are Mr Cool and don't react to the abuse of your friends or being called names then that's up to you.

I'm pretty straight that way. I have strong idea's, sure I do, but I only lose my cool when people are disrespectful. Having an opposing arguement and putting it forward
strongly is what everyone has the right to do. This is a diplomatic country Kaf. You don't have to like my voice or what I say, but I can say it. And if you disrespect or turn to name calling
then you and no one else will stop me from responding to that.

I was taking a time out... Only coming in here to respond to all the support I get privately. But now you've made up my mind
Cheers  ;)

Kafla

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2012, 09:57:47 AM »
Schavu - the support I have received in private would indicate that the majority only want minor changes if any. People are scared to speak out incase they meet your wrath - can you honestly not see that?

There is no excuse for the way you have behaved no matter how you justify it.

To use your pub analogy - if I met you in a pub behaving the way you do on here I would avoid you not challenge you.

You need to control your anger - I have found it unacceptable - I know from the messages that I have received that others have too. I respect Tinam enormously - we have exchanged many emails and have so far worked on two songs together - Tinam has strong views but views them strongly - never aggressively.

Lets get this in perspective though - you are mostly a loving, caring and humorous character and give tremendously to this forum  ;)

I really cant say anymore than this 8)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »
Welcome back Kafla...agree with what you have said 100%...THE MAJORITY...although they can see things not quite right are fairly satisfied with the site,and although see new posters maybe being a bit enthusiastic with their songs..do soon  enough ..leave or join in.

But they can`t be forced too ,it`s a ridiculous principle....if it`s not forthcoming..why force it. ???

The analogy between a shop and here ..was how regular and ill-regular users should be viewed ,,not that it`s a shop!!!

is this an exclusive club or is an open forum.....if you`ve been on here a while or indeed any other site(like i am) you don`t have special privileges.....yes you become online buddies and feel you`ve helped make the site what it is....but if it wasn`t you or me ..it would have been a bunch of other peeps?

Swearing and abusive .. should be completely stamped on  ...i don`t do it..i can be the sarcastic .keyboard warrior from hell...but i don`t want to be...

I hope Tinam does come back and this is all repaired....maybe your actions will prompt  her to return?.

Kafla

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2012, 10:10:14 AM »

I like this a lot ;D

Nooms used to review a new members song and then finish it with a little message saying that to get more reviews you should review others - thats the way to do it ;)

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2012, 10:24:06 AM »

I like this a lot ;D

Nooms used to review a new members song and then finish it with a little message saying that to get more reviews you should review others - thats the way to do it ;)

Yes this looks great to me too. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying