No holds barred - speak your mind, because the forum is in trouble

• 63 Replies

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 11:24:14 PM »
Hi everyone,
Well it's a reflection on how wonderful the forum is that so many people feel so passionately about how it is run.  I think Tone has created a fabulous place for songwriters to share their music and lyrics and long may it continue. 

I think James' idea of a welcome email is brilliant and should get the message across to new members.  I remember like Boydie being really nervous about posting and kept checking to see if anyone had posted any feedback.  Not a review did I give nor an introduction, I didn't realise the etiquette and I just wanted to see if non-family members ie forum members, thought I was alright or if my songs were shit!  I was really unsure about reviewing others' work because I was newbie and what did I know!!!  I do think this has a bearing on some newbies postings.

I think the post 3 review idea will lead to pointless/sycophantic/bland reviews that are worthless.  Sure you will get the odd long term member who occasionally turns up and disappears having contributed nothing, but sometimes people just need to build up confidence before they fully become part of a forum.  I'm still a lurker on the moneysavingexpert one after three years!!!  Surely people should be allowed to come and go as they please and not be judged on how frequently they visit?

i joined here and I thought what a friendly warm welcoming site and I don't think we offer that at the moment sadly.  Not very helpful Tone I know, but I just don't see why people can't just ignore the persistently selfish- job done! Totally agree with Nooms and Kaf about this.

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
  • Give me a lyric and I'll give you a song
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 11:34:17 PM »
Well done Tone for taking this topic to the Bar.   I know i'm still a newbie, but i'd like think that we can keep the Reviews forum specifically for reviews and take out our tempers and annoyances in the Bar forum (or the boxing ring LOL).

I personally don't log on very often, simply because I don't have the time.  That shouldn't make me a bad member of the forum.  I try to log on at the weekends and review as much as I can - I wish I could log on more frequently, but it's not possible because I have work / travel commitments.

This is one of the better songwriting forums that i've come across and I"m very very glad to be part of it.  The talented contributors have helped my songwriting enormously - and I really do thank you all.    So this forum works, that much is clear.

My gripe is the bitching.  Lets keep it to the Bar forum and NOT in the Reviews forum.

Thanks
x

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 11:41:52 PM »
Oh and by the way I'm definitely into discipline and I'm certainly not a wishy washy liberal! i have firm beliefs and I am quite happy to express them - which I have, keep it pleasant and nice.
This is meant to be fun for god's sake. How are people meant to feel happy and confident enough to review with some authoritarian figure bearing down on them, 'have I reviewed enough' 'have I upset anyone' 'have I posted one or two songs this week'  Any nice new members  who potentially might have stayed will have gone.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 12:37:51 AM »
I'll say I'm in full support of a welcome email as others have described it.

I'm also in favour of the '1 song on the front page at a time' thing too. I'm not sure how viable this is without having dedicated mods.

I agree that 3 forced reviews will result in exactly that, forced out, half-hearted, single-sentence reviews. (We've all done them sometimes but that's generally been because we legitimately don't have much to say that's not already been said but still want to show our support, we still post longer ones at other times).

I honestly think the best thing for this forum would be a few mods. No forum can exist in the long run without expanding the mod team. Tone just isn't able to cover all hours of the day and for that reason would be unable to do all the mod work required.

I'll put myself forward for a mod team if that's the direction we decide to go, I'm a moderator over at Brass Goggles (I'll bring up that forum in a bit...) so I'd be happy to help out here. Even if it's a case of locking a thread and explaining why I'm happy to do that. Believe me when I say 'mod me' keeps the rage curbed, it's a different mentality entirely.

Now I would like to mention Brass Goggles... It's basically the largest Steampunk forum in the world and has hundreds of members. It's not an absolutely huge forum though. There's always people who are coming in and trying to get money off the community to fund some silly project without involving themselves in the forum and other aspects of Steampunk and we have both protocols for dealing with them and have members who will avoid such posts. Now if a forum as large as that can work so cohesively then I'm sure this one can too.

I agree that this forum is going through an 'adolescent' phase and is shaking about because of it but I hope the above example proves that once we are out of this and have 'matured' as a forum then things can be fairly simple and manageable.

My words on the underlying cause of this present turmoil are quite simple. When I joined I posted away, read the rules, realised I should review and went about reviewing until the members felt I deserved to have some reviews posted on my work. I didn't learn enormously quickly but I wasn't slow on the uptake either. That worked because everyone else had the same mentality, that I would have to post some reviews before I would receive some. They were also the majority. With that majority, the new members (in the small numbers they came in) would either learn or leave.

Now, we have just enough people who review indiscriminately that the newbies (who are coming in in larger numbers than when I and most of everyone else here joined) do not learn and we do not quite have enough of the sort who will not review (in order to 'teach' the newbies) to have an impact.

I agree with the solutions I've stated above that others have proposed and, like I said, am more than happy to help moderate this forum to keep it running as smoothly as possible.
Defective Elector

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 01:50:45 AM »
Precisely Corsair. That is precisely what is happening. I too like to hear lots of new people coming, the more the better. I don't want this forums to become static either, just
as anyone esle. But there are enough new members joining all the time, who actually do contribute and do play fair to keep it from ever getting static.
I'm happy to embrace all newcomers who bahave sociably.
I know there are a lot of X factors. Some new members feel shy about reviewing, bit of caution in case you sound silly or people think you are not qualified to critique or whatever. I know that because I went through the same when I first happened upon these forums. I also know that when you first find a place like this, you are so eager to post everything you have because finally there are some people who will listen. I get it. I didn't because I studied the forum for half an hour before I posted to be sure I was doing what everyone else was doing. I was eager to fit into a place in which I was the newcomer. It's called manners.
That's why none of that is what I am talking about.
I am talking about members of this forum who have been here on multiple occassions, have been informed about the forum etiquette, have been spoken to about being more giving instead of only taking and STILL only come for reviews and support. Like Sjoerd.
There is another member who seeing as this is a no holes barred conversation I will name. Mark Longworth. I used to really like Mark a loooong time ago. I enjoyed his energy and he contributed.
For a long time now he only ever comes here to post his own work which from the tone of his posts we should all be so greatful for.
These are the people who abuse these forums and they should be stopped from getting reviews as far as I am concerned.
Yes, the way this forum has policed itself so far has been great but now we have many members. But only a percentage are constantly, day after day, giving their support and help and reviewing.
That number is growing too. So when there is so much, so many people who want to be reviewed, surely people who contribute nothing and yet return time after time for OUR support should not get it.
I like to give my time. I like to support people who deserve it. It's a big thing to enter a forum and aks people to dedicate thier time and thoughts to something you have created. To ask them for an opinion about it and maybe even help and support. That is no small thing! And we are giving it away for free. And that's great but it is being abused.
The newer members are not learning the lesson because we have so many members now that people are posting on them anyway.
I would say it is definately time to evolve, but not in a drastic way. The last thing that anyone would want is the atmosphere that has been dented lately changing. There are some great idea's being thrown out. The welcome email. Maybe some help for Tone with forum mods who can be trusted to gently and politely deal with various forms of forum abuse.
I just don't see how at this moment, with things progressing as they are, how we can continue to let the blatant freeloaders get away with it anymore when there is so many new and sociable members to review and support.
Corsair mentioned the word cohesive, when refering to the other forum he is a member of. By that I take it to mean team work, all being on the same side, solidarity.
If it is the forums desire to promote active membership. If it is the forums desire to promote community and fairness, to encourage people to join in. The surely we should all be singing from the same hymn sheet. Instead some are trying to push people towards to guidlines in the hope they'll work it out. Some people are getting so fed up with it that it's coming to a boiling point. Some people decide the best approach is to go in... give a review and then make a flippant remark about people complaining about the poster beaing a selfish person.
If we want to promote an INTERACTIVE forum, rather than a free song critiqueing service, then we ALL need to show people gently towards the guidlines and we all need to ignore selfish abusers.
Those that don't are undermining all the good efforts the great members of this forum make to integrate people into the place in a less selfish manner.

Oh and Kaf. I love you mate but I dont see how Alzheimers has got anything to do with anything. My dad had to have his leg amputated twice and almost died recently frm septicemia.
He has lots of trouble now walking and suffers a lot of pain. It is so sad to see.
Right from now on I'm only posting on my own songs.

hmmm

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 09:19:17 AM »
I think that it would be a good idea to implement agreed rules that forum members are in favour of.  A welcome email, as suggested by James would be a positive step as it would clearly explain expected forum etiquette to new members.  Volunteer moderators would also be of tremendous value depending on whether they can devote sufficient time to the process.   I completely understand that many existing members have become extremely frustrated and have decided to strongly express their thoughts re selfish posters.  Unfortunately, I think that aggressive posts deter not only new members from joining in but also some existing members too, including myself. I've just spent the last two days caring for my Mam who is suffering with Alzheimer's disease. My two young boys are always wanting to do something different but it's hard to do that when my Mam needs care.  Increasingly, I don't want to get involved with forum contributions that could lead to more hassle but I would like to contribute when I able.   Instead, I choose take the path of not contributing, maybe use my free time to write or produce. My point is, that we have  all got outside commitments to deal with and may decide to abstain from forum contributions if it appears that the forum is  becoming an aggressive/ hostile place to visit. I think individual members should be able to devote as much or as little time as they want to forum contributions as long as they adhere to forum guidelines/rules and try to maintain good manners.  

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 09:49:23 AM »
I completely agree Paul and everyone has their own sh!t to deal with - and I know some of us have more than others and I can only begin to imagine what you are dealing with

I think the frustration has come about from the fact that if people have time to write, record, produce, upload, and post their masterpiece they certainly have time to listen to and review a few other people's songs

You are spot on when you say that aggresion is not the way to go and it is a real shame you (and probably others) have not posted songs because of this

I think individual members should be able to devote as much or as little time as they want to forum contributions as long as they adhere to forum guidelines/rules and try to maintain good manners. 

+1 to that!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Kafla

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 09:51:55 AM »
Guys ,

I have met some brilliant people on here and it's had seriously reinvented my songwriting passion - I can't thank Tone enough for that  ;)

But I just cant see this issue going away now and to be honest I can't spend anymore time explaining defending my position and the fun had went right out of the forum - its just not a nice place to be anymore.

The Internets not like real life where you can sit someone down and have a real nice chat and of course explain what you mean.

Anyway I genuinely wish everyone all the best and want to make it clear before I got this is nothing personal against anyone.

Cheers! ;D

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 09:53:32 AM »
I don't like the way this whole affair has pitched many people against each other. Especially regular contributors that otherwise might get along great. Even more especially when the people you are actually irate at probably haven't glanced at these threads.

I also dont like that in some of the other threads, peoples anger seems not only directed at those not contributing in the right way/at all, but also to those who are not 'regular' or who do not write on here every day. IMO, that is completely unfair.

I dont think '1 song on the front page only' will work. Here is a reason why:

- You have no songs on the front page and you have been reviewing regularly. So you decide to stick a new one up.
- Someone reviews your song and likes it. They do a quick search for more of your stuff and comment on that. Presto, you now have 2 songs on the front page.

I dont know how to solve the problem. People doing their own policing can lead to arguments, etc etc. Especially if the people doing the 'policing' are fairly new themselves.
To be frank aswell, all these threads about it are tiring. This might be viewed as selfish, but I dont come here to tell other people how to act, to read about how they are not acting or to read arguments about etiquette. At the moment, everyone complaining about these people is almost as tiring as the people themselves. But hopefully this thread will be the last of it.

I dont like the idea of a heavily moderated forum either. If you want to see how much a heavily moderated forum sucks, head over to Gearslutz.

So how to make everyone happy? I dont think you will ever completely stop people 'scrounging' off the system, just like in real life. A welcome email could be a good idea though. But that wouldnt stop the kind of 'spammers' the Schav is pointing out, as they have been here a while. I dont think unloading all over their threads in public is good for the forum though.

Maybe 1 or 2 moderators, just to keep all this anger private? I would say that if you have a problem with someone then you pm whoever the mod is. How the mod decides to deal with it should be the end of it. Of course, you need the mod to be a trusted person who isnt going to cause silly arguements or just censor things they dont like.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 10:11:43 AM »

I dont think '1 song on the front page only' will work. Here is a reason why:

- You have no songs on the front page and you have been reviewing regularly. So you decide to stick a new one up.
- Someone reviews your song and likes it. They do a quick search for more of your stuff and comment on that. Presto, you now have 2 songs on the front page.

I think you've misunderstood the '1 song on the front page' thing. It means '1 new song' really. Once a song has drifted off the front page you can post a new one (without getting ridiculous) and if a thread of yours gets necroed and ends up back on the front page it doesn't count towards your '1 song on the front page'

It would be up to the moderators to check these songs of course to make sure they had left the front page already, but that's a few clicks of the mouse.
Defective Elector

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 10:14:18 AM »
I have to agree with the RAM ...on this, self policing will only lead to bullying ,arguments.and all sorts of nonsense...

Limiting songs will also fail...you can`t pigeon hole people in this way , with out all becoming messy and complicated.....what if you get 300 regular songwriters who "can post 1 song a week"..it collapses....

For me the best solution are more forums to post songs,we all write different stuff,,,so in theory any one forum won`t get too full,peeps songs stay at the top of the list longer,,,no problems(as far as i can see)

heres a list i just pulled off the net...it does`nt need to be this comprehensive even.

http://musicgenreslist.com/

cheff daniel

• Solo Gig
  • ...?
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »
well people, till now i've kept myself out of this discussion. not that i have no opinion, but what is wrong and what is right? when you come here for the first time you're way to shy to comment peoples work and wait for what they think about your work first. and maybe you are a little too enthusiastic or even a bit naive and post two or even three songs. that same week. big deal, you'll learn soon enough. but when they tell you to just piss off or worse i think you learn something completely different. and that is that you have to fight for your place in the hierachy here. well thats not really what i want here. i dont even want that in real live. i think like Tone that the real bastards are ready here, in a few weeks and everything was a storm in a glas of water as we use to say in the netherlands.

gr.   Dan

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 10:58:12 AM »
when you come here for the first time you're way to shy to comment peoples work and wait for what they think about your work first. and maybe you are a little too enthusiastic or even a bit naive and post two or even three songs. that same week. big deal, you'll learn soon enough. but when they tell you to just piss off or worse i think you learn something completely different.

The issue there is that what you've stated was true when most of us joined but isn't true now because people are still getting reviews when they contribute nothing and don't learn that lesson we learned. I agree that the aggression is misguided and counter-productive, but simply removing it (which we seem to already be doing) doesn't solve the underlying problem.
Defective Elector

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »
hi kaf
nooms here.
i just read your post this morning and tried to pm you because it sounded like a bell tolling.  but i noticed your member file has gone.
I really hope thats not the case. i believe i feel same way as you about stuff.
this whole thing has got out of hand.
you are a cornerstone of the forum, not just for your songs but boundless enthusiasm and honesty and i personally would be very sad to lose your north sea gas..
i hope all this will pass like a nasty virus..and we all learn from it.
dont go mate.
nooms
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 11:10:18 AM »
i started all this
all i ever wanted to do was make this place a bit better & fairer
i hate the world but i cant change it .....but i just thought i could make a stand for the things i value on here in this little world & now we have world war 3
if kafla has left aswell i cant tell you how upset i am...i am the one who must leave...this is all so awful
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)