konalavadome

"Shake up" of the reviews forum??

• 6 Replies

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:02:08 PM »
Hiya

Prompted by the other "tit for tat" thread, old songs being posted in the reviews section, and an influx of people posting songs without participating fully in the community I would like to float the idea of changing the reviews forum a bit  :o

Do you think it would be a good idea to have a separate REVIEWS forum and a separate CRITIQUE forum

I would see the differences being like this:

CRITIQUE Forum - this is where you post new songs for feedback and contrcutive criticism based around ultimately making the song better. All posters MUST give a few lines to explain why they are posting the song for critique - e.g. I want this song to be published, I want to play this song live, I want to give to my mum as a present, I want raido play, I want to improve my songwriting, I want to improve my production, do you think my voice is good enough etc. etc.

This can then give those that want to critique songs a sense of "context"

REVIEWS Forum - this is more for the finished product, i.e. what do you think of our band's new EP, here is a song I recorded in 1989 etc.

This would be more like a magazine would review a song/album - i.e. less about "you could try this or that" but much more about opinion on the finished product

I find the existing structure a bit mixed up and I don't know how to review some songs by not knowing the context or what the feedback the writer is looking for

Just a though from a newbie  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 03:24:16 PM »
The reviews forum does need expanding,,,it has been discussed.

If there were  genre`s, in there own forums(i.e rock,pop,folk ) that peeps could post in,and taking into account the different types of music posted, i`m sure songs would linger a lot longer for review or just to listen too.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »
Hi Boydie and Songsthatcry

I understand your reasons for suggesting these changes, but I've been running this forum now for 2 and a half years, taking in a few different approaches.

The way I see it is that the more different sections we create, the more divided and fragmented the forum becomes. By bringing everyone together in a single place, we not only expose ourselves to a wider variety of music, but we make more diverse connections, and broaden our horizons generally.

If I had my way there'd be no sections at all - just one big, all-inclusive conversation.

I understand that songs do drop off page one of the reviews forum more quickly than they used to, but that's just a symptom of the forum becoming more popular.

The best way you can attract a lot of attention to your songs is to take part fully in the community, and give more in-depth reviews than you ask for.

As an example, take stickboy's latest song. It's been active in the reviews forum for much longer than most of the other songs posted at the same time because it's captured everyone's imagination. You just need to do the same ;)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
Disagree with the 1st 2 posts. It would ruin the community feel, and you would end up with just little groups of people only commenting on their preferred style.

The 'old songs' posting is just a little fad that will pass...it came from a suggestion in a different thread. Again, segregating everything would ruin little community things like this...

I agree, it's always helpful to put the context in the thread and I think many people do. If it's not in there, you dont have to review it :P
The growing speed of posts in the review forum and lessening time spent by songs on the front page has been mentioned before and the general consensus was that segregating things wouldn't solve anything. Probably just reduce the number of replies you are likely to get.

When you spend a bit of time on the forum, you get to know who is involved and posts a lot and who only turns up to post their own songs and then b**gers off again. Then you know whose stuff deserves reviewing and whose you can let slide by :)
This means, that as a newbie it is probably harder to get any interest in your stuff until you've spent some time here. But I think thats the way it should be. (I dont think it's hard enough actually :P)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 04:13:29 PM »
Please dont misunderstand my reason for posting - it has nothing to do with not being happy about the number of reviews or falling off the front page

I just thought it would help with the "problems" that have been arising recently and encourage more reviews/critiques

Having been around for just a few weeks the last week has felt very different with a bit of tension

As you say Ramshackles these things may come and go but I had an idea whilst at work and thought I would share it

I agree about the fragmentation issue which is why I suggested just 2 divisions and not on a genre basis

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 04:57:29 PM »
Totally agree with Tone and Ramshackles

The people that give on here get more back. It only takes a little effort, support and kindliness. The lazy/selfish buggers sod off soon enough, once they get bored of being ignored.

Things are cool as they are

And @Boydie
Some review, some critique, some do both. As you have said very correctly yourself, people garner from these forums what they will. I personally post finished songs, and feedback helps me with future songs and recordings, as well a shelping me understand what people see in my music that I cannot from the inside out.
Other people post work in progress for advice for changing.
Letting people choose is always best  ;D ;D
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 03:00:03 AM »
Me with Tone, Ram and James :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.